Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,247

0 members and 2,247 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Terrariums, do it right the first time.

That's what I was thinking. I've been leaning more towards planted from the beginning, but then started reading more about bioactive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Wow , that's a stunning BRB !

Is that a lightish normal or is it a Hypo ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    His parents are an extreme red and an extreme orange. So I'm kind of curious about how he'll turn out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
    His parents are an extreme red and an extreme orange. So I'm kind of curious about how he'll turn out.

My gawd he will presumably be absolutely amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Would I be able to do bioactive in a T10? I wanted a T12, but it was twice the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I think you can do it but it will require some modification to bolster the front to shore it up for the substrate layer, drilling the bottom of the enclosure, using only a RHP, and not choosing a lighting option from AP as you would put your own in.
    Basically this, you can indeed do it, but I don't think you are going to like the final result once your drainage + substrate are in. Why? After adding those two things, you're only going to have like 8-10" of space to work with, not including lighting or heating elements on the ceiling. Animal plastics can make a customize T-whatever to suit your needs, similar to what this user did.

In my experience, you really want something at least 18" high if you are aiming for bio-active. It is just too annoying to manipulate the contents of the enclosure, get your snake in and out, and not to mention it severely limits your planting options. You'll also notice most dart frog keepers, who extensively use exo-terra cages and bio-active setups, almost never use the 12" high option. It is always 18-24" high, even with more terrestrial species.

The title of this thread is very fitting - If you're going to try bio-active at some point in time, save up and buy the T12 for $140 more, you'll be much happier in the long run. It's tempting to buy the shorter one because it's cheaper and takes up less space, but the final result, in my experience is less rewarding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    Basically this, you can indeed do it, but I don't think you are going to like the final result once your drainage + substrate are in. Why? After adding those two things, you're only going to have like 8-10" of space to work with, not including lighting or heating elements on the ceiling. Animal plastics can make a customize T-whatever to suit your needs, similar to what this user did.

In my experience, you really want something at least 18" high if you are aiming for bio-active. It is just too annoying to manipulate the contents of the enclosure, get your snake in and out, and not to mention it severely limits your planting options. You'll also notice most dart frog keepers, who extensively use exo-terra cages and bio-active setups, almost never use the 12" high option. It is always 18-24" high, even with more terrestrial species.

The title of this thread is very fitting - If you're going to try bio-active at some point in time, save up and buy the T12 for $140 more, you'll be much happier in the long run. It's tempting to buy the shorter one because it's cheaper and takes up less space, but the final result, in my experience is less rewarding.
    Since the beginning, I've been leaning more towards live planted anyways. That's still the way I'm leaning, actually.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Since the beginning, I've been leaning more towards live planted anyways. That's still the way I'm leaning, actually.

Defiantly look at the Serpa Designs youtube then, He did an amazing DIY build that should get your creative juices flowing.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

My next enclosure will probably be a t12 for when he gets bigger. That might be bioactive, then use the t10 for a blue tongue.

Thanks

The a20 is looking interesting as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12