Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

1 members and 2,837 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: RBI hides warping

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I've had these hides for years and I even run them through the dishwasher when they get truly disgusting. Mine have never warped BUT they are all more than a few years old, so I wonder if something changed recently in how they are produced?
    Maybe. The oldest ones i have are probably between 3-4 years old and they have warped. Between those old ones and newer ones i ordered probably about 2 months ago for my dumerils, they seem the same. On that note, those ones have stayed straight while the 2 i ordered for my BCL like a month ago, the one on the cool side has warped while the one on the warm side is still flat.....go figure lol.

Maybe the snakes at night are using them for 'workouts' by constricting them and they warp lol
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-11-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    a T8 is 4 x 2 x 1 divided in half is 2 x 2 x 1 a 40 watt heat panel covers most of that area where should the hide go to avoid direct heat?

if it is heat causing the warping im not supposed to have the hide in the hot spot of the enclosure? umm hello you know that cold blooded thing and snakes. besides i do have a thermostat its not like its running at full blast.

rbi sells the same size enclosure , rhp's for it and hide boxes that warp when they are placed in the correct spot .
    sounds to me like they are knowingly selling an inferior product. if that is the case i am definitely disappointed

Kirk
    Welcome to New Jersey Home of Taxes, Tolls, and Traffic

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirks_Herps For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (11-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You contact RBI with the image you have of them warping? I would be interested in learning what they say. I would include where you place them, the temperature of the surface of the hide and how long you have had them so they know exactly how they are used.

I would assume either something in the injection process is off or there is some placement under a certain temperature or exposure to UV light (just tossing it out there). I am not sure humidity plays any part since this type of plastic which is hte same as tubs are used in all sorts of high humid environments without issue.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    contacted rbi with all relevant info and i guess i can take my 4 warped hides shine them up real nice and stick them straight up my.........

accidentally deleted the emails as i was a little miffed with the response

they wont replace or refund because your not supposed have a hide within so many inches of the rhp or the hides will just warp again

well my response is dont sell me a hide that you obviously know will warp

reptile hides are subject to uv light, heat etc...they gotta know this

it may seem petty to some but to me it goes toward the over all philosophy of the company

and what else are you selling me that you know may be defective?

Kirk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirks_Herps View Post
    they wont replace or refund because your not supposed have a hide within so many inches of the rhp or the hides will just warp again

and what else are you selling me that you know may be defective?
    I fail to see how they are misleading you as they clearly described on their site the material used - injection molded polypropylene as well as the thickness - 1/8 inch. I am not an advocate for RBI in anyway even though as of late I seem to be but you can't just suggest something is defective if it is used outside the scope of the material's limitation.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    That looks wild! I have all RBI hides and none of mine have warped, or at least not noticeably. Mine were bought at least over a year~3 years ago. I assume it has something to do with using RHP's maybe heating the top of the hide more than it should.

But I also have an RBI hide in my scrub python's enclosure under an RHP, and it has not warped.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-12-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Some of my RBI hides have warped... I think it happened the most with the "large" hides...I haven't seen it with the smaller hides. I don't use RHPs, so it has happened when the hides are on top of heat tape in a rack or heat tape in a cage (both on thermostats). I think I've only had 2 warp to the degree your pic showed and both were large hides.

If they know the hides warp under an RHP, it would be nice for them to put a disclaimer on the sales page with that info. But, in my case, and RHP wasn't involved, so maybe it is also random depending on the consistency of a particular batch of plastic used, etc.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I fail to see how they are misleading you as they clearly described on their site the material used - injection molded polypropylene as well as the thickness - 1/8 inch. I am not an advocate for RBI in anyway even though as of late I seem to be but you can't just suggest something is defective if it is used outside the scope of the material's limitation.
    Never said I was mislead in any way
    I'm saying that reptile hides are subject to
    Certain environments they are sure to be aware of
    The material may be as described but is doesn't say don't use in hot / humid environments
    As they are aware of the conditions reptile hides are subject to I believe the hides to be defective because the can not be used as an effective hide
    The point of a hide is to provide a safe secure place for your reptile and a warped hide doesn't do that

Kirk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12