Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,338

2 members and 2,336 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Some of my breeders

My daughter got ahold of my camera a few days ago and took a video of our rats:

This isn't all of our breeders, but it's most of them. A little over a year and a half ago my daughter got a few rats as pets. Our rat collection grew over time and now breeding them is a joint endeavor between the two of us. Never thought I'd bond with my daughter over breeding rats, but it's a lot of fun. We love our furry and scaly friends.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (11-11-2017)

Thanks
    Great video ! Breeding your own feeder rats is such a rewarding part of having snakes, I recommend everyone try it. Im glad your able to share this with your daughter

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Some of my breeders

This video is so awesome Especially when she reaches into the mom and baby rack and is just petting the mom rats Thanks for sharing this!
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

the soft humming was very relaxing; it was a very calming video. rats are just adorable, and i'd love to have some whether as pets or feeders in the future. thank you for sharing!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Great video. One thing I keep wondering is why everyone always leaves so much space in between each rlevel when they build rat breeding racks. Is it because they originally build them with intentions of leaving room for a water bottle on each level or is there some other reason I should be aware of? I noticed that one of your racks has a lot of space between levels, but the other one doesn't...

Thanks

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ba11er View Post
    Great video ! Breeding your own feeder rats is such a rewarding part of having snakes, I recommend everyone try it. Im glad your able to share this with your daughter
    I don't know that I'd recommend it for everyone. It is a lot of work, and I respect that some people just don't like rodents. They're much better than their reputation though. Widely misunderstood animals, much like snakes. Anyway, rat breeding is an opportunity for quality daddy daughter time in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    This video is so awesome Especially when she reaches into the mom and baby rack and is just petting the mom rats Thanks for sharing this!
    Yeah, most of our moms aren't bitey, which is pretty common with rats. A few were nippy as first time moms, but even those few calmed down after a litter or two. Guess they realized we're not going to hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    the soft humming was very relaxing; it was a very calming video. rats are just adorable, and i'd love to have some whether as pets or feeders in the future. thank you for sharing!
    My daughter has a lovely voice, though I'm sure she'd be embarassed if she knew I was bragging about it. Rats make great pets. Some of ours know their names and come when they're called. You can train them to do a lot more, but I haven't even had the time to get them litter trained, let alone teach them tricks. Still gotta hold down my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Great video. One thing I keep wondering is why everyone always leaves so much space in between each rlevel when they build rat breeding racks. Is it because they originally build them with intentions of leaving room for a water bottle on each level or is there some other reason I should be aware of? I noticed that one of your racks has a lot of space between levels, but the other one doesn't...
    The rack with black cement tubs is the one I had made for me. It came with the watering system and I specifically requested as little space between levels as possible. The nursing rack with the white bus tubs I bought off Craigslist. The guy who made it originally designed it to accept water bottles. We used them for awhile, but I got sick of refilling them. I had extra water nipples and t-connectors lying around, so I bought some tubing and a clear storage container to serve as the water reservoir. Then I built the watering system. I've gotta admit I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Next project is to modify a storage cart into a mouse rack. I have my mice all in separate cages right now and it's been driving me nuts cleaning them.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (11-12-2017)