Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

2 members and 2,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Beautiful New Female

Quote Originally Posted by meshuga View Post
    no they're not. if they were they would have remained a subspecies. [personal attack removed]
    For this to be the internet, you really are starting to get hostile and take it personal. Absolutely no need for that. Either way this is far from what I was trying to accomplish with this post. How about we keep the arguing to a minimum and try to answer some of the other questions I had before this becomes a hate thread shall we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 11-12-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: TOS Violation in Quote
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Codil7 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (11-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Codil7 View Post
    For this to be the internet, you really are starting to get hostile and take it personal. Absolutely no need for that. Either way this is far from what I was trying to accomplish with this post. How about we keep the arguing to a minimum and try to answer some of the other questions I had before this becomes a hate thread shall we?

Exactly... This isn't even what this topic is about. That's fine, though. He clearly won't be around for long with his argumentative [poor] attitude... *shrugs*
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 11-12-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: TOS Violation

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Intelligent discussion and thoughtful disagreements are encouraged. Personal attacks are not. Keep it on track, please.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-12-2017),Momokahn (11-12-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And we can now get back on topic argument is over since the TROLL has been banned PERMANENTLY now.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 11-12-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (11-12-2017),Codil7 (11-12-2017),Godzilla78 (11-12-2017),PitOnTheProwl (11-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    And we can now get back on topic argument is over since the TROLL has been banned PERMANENTLY now.
    Thanks for that . Hopefully that stunt didn't scare off any other potential inputs.
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Just look at all the trouble you caused posting pictures of this snake, Codil7! *SMH*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Just look at all the trouble you caused posting pictures of this snake, Codil7! *SMH*
    Hahaha I had good intentions I promise!

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Congrats on your first boa! I'm sure it won't be your last. I have three, a BCA male, a Central American motley male, and a BCI hypo male. All three are great eaters, curious and calm snakes, and a joy to handle.

Yours looks like a common boa (BCI) in one pic I was thinking maybe anery, but the other pics show warmer brown hues, so I'm thinking you just have a very nice looking normal.
    The specking / freckling is a trait of most boas and it varies in amount... my hypo BCI male is quite "dirty" too and has a lot of freckles, but I think it adds character.

I'd agree that yours looks to be ~18 months - 2 years maybe.

I highly suggest using hook / tap training to help your boa learn when it is and is not feeding time. These guys have a crazy high food drive and I have often had to use the hook to bring mine out of food mode (My BCA will slam the glass at any sign of motion when he's hungry).

I would also suggest doing a lot of research into proper feeding schedule. These guys need to be fed a lot more carefully than BPs, as they will get obese quickly resulting in fast growth and a shorter life span. For a boa the age of yours, feeding every ~2 weeks would probably be fine. Most people keep theirs on mice until the boa is large enough to take a small rat and then switch.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

13. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-13-2017)

Thanks

Beautiful New Female 😎

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Congrats on your first boa! I'm sure it won't be your last. I have three, a BCA male, a Central American motley male, and a BCI hypo male. All three are great eaters, curious and calm snakes, and a joy to handle.

Yours looks like a common boa (BCI) in one pic I was thinking maybe anery, but the other pics show warmer brown hues, so I'm thinking you just have a very nice looking normal.
    The specking / freckling is a trait of most boas and it varies in amount... my hypo BCI male is quite "dirty" too and has a lot of freckles, but I think it adds character.

I'd agree that yours looks to be ~18 months - 2 years maybe.

I highly suggest using hook / tap training to help your boa learn when it is and is not feeding time. These guys have a crazy high food drive and I have often had to use the hook to bring mine out of food mode (My BCA will slam the glass at any sign of motion when he's hungry).

I would also suggest doing a lot of research into proper feeding schedule. These guys need to be fed a lot more carefully than BPs, as they will get obese quickly resulting in fast growth and a shorter life span. For a boa the age of yours, feeding every ~2 weeks would probably be fine. Most people keep theirs on mice until the boa is large enough to take a small rat and then switch.
    Thank you for all the great information! I do agree that after a bit of research, she is more than likely just a pretty normal. Her colors are more true in the last photos versus the first couple. I’m not entirely sure why the camera gave her a grey coloring rather than the actual brown. I personally love the speckles on her. Not many of my other snakes had that and it’s a nice change of scenery for sure.

Without knowing her exact feeding schedule since birth, it has been rather difficult gauging her exact age. But 18 months seems to be a common answer for most people I’ve talked to. To me personally, she shows the length of a boa that age, but not necessarily the girth. Of course feeding would be a huge factor so who knows.

You really aren’t kidding with the food response! I gave her a couple days to settle in before attempting to feed and even then I wasn’t expecting much out of her. But man was I wrong. She came straight out and struck immediately. Something I’m really not used to with my BP history. What a joy! One thing that really surprised me was how active she was following a meal. She fed about 6pm and by 11pm she was already roaming the enclosure again. Definitely not what I was expecting considering the slower metabolism.

Could you give any tips on hook/tap training? Both new concepts for me considering none of my BPs have ever really needed it.

Last edited by Codil7; 11-13-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    My Boas are ravenous beasts on feeding day! I let the rats thaw out for a few hours in my snake room and I can't even walk past their racks without them slamming against the front of their tubs. Getting their tubs pulled out without them lunging out and biting me is quite a challenge. My Bloods, Sumatrans and Borneos are the same way... I have to use my hook to pull their tubs out with one hand while at the same time trying to keep the rat between them and myself with the other hand. As far as hook training goes, there isn't much to it. I use it with all of my snakes (even my Balls) from hatchling to adults. Basically, any time you get ready to reach into your snake's enclosures to pick them up, use your snake hook (or any object, really) to touch them or stroke them first (some people recommend touching them on the top of their head). Then just keep your snake hook between the snake's head and your hand as you pick them up. This helps ensure that they are awake and you aren't startling them and at the same time, it conditions the snakes to know that it's not feeding time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-13-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast