Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

1 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Beautiful New Female

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    My Boas are ravenous beasts on feeding day! I let the rats thaw out for a few hours in my snake room and I can't even walk past their racks without them slamming against the front of their tubs. Getting their tubs pulled out without them lunging out and biting me is quite a challenge. My Bloods, Sumatrans and Borneos are the same way... I have to use my hook to pull their tubs out with one hand while at the same time trying to keep the rat between them and myself with the other hand. As far as hook training goes, there isn't much to it. I use it with all of my snakes (even my Balls) from hatchling to adults. Basically, any time you get ready to reach into your snake's enclosures to pick them up, use your snake hook (or any object, really) to touch them or stroke them first (some people recommend touching them on the top of their head). Then just keep your snake hook between the snake's head and your hand as you pick them up. This helps ensure that they are awake and you aren't startling them and at the same time, it conditions the snakes to know that it's not feeding time.
    That sounds easy enough. I’ll look into buying a snake hook this week. Until then I’ll probably use a paper towel roll or something similar. I think that’s what I’ve been seeing some people use online and it’s worked fine.

I’m sure since most of you all use rack/tub systems this question might not apply to you all as much, but have any of your boas been big into burrowing? My substrate is a combo of reptibark and eco earth. It seems like every morning I’ll wake up to a brand new system of tunnels she has created the night before with her sleeping in a new area. Very little use of her hide. Last night after feeding she used the hide/heat mat for roughly an hour then she went exploring for a while. This morning I woke to finding the entire cage rearranged with her body buried halfway under her water dish and the rest of her under some logs/plants in the middle of the tank. I’m assuming she’s probably still in feed mode waiting for something else to be dropped in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Re: Beautiful New Female 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Codil7 View Post
    Thank you for all the great information! I do agree that after a bit of research, she is more than likely just a pretty normal. Her colors are more true in the last photos versus the first couple. I’m not entirely sure why the camera gave her a grey coloring rather than the actual brown. I personally love the speckles on her. Not many of my other snakes had that and it’s a nice change of scenery for sure.

Without knowing her exact feeding schedule since birth, it has been rather difficult gauging her exact age. But 18 months seems to be a common answer for most people I’ve talked to. To me personally, she shows the length of a boa that age, but not necessarily the girth. Of course feeding would be a huge factor so who knows.

You really aren’t kidding with the food response! I gave her a couple days to settle in before attempting to feed and even then I wasn’t expecting much out of her. But man was I wrong. She came straight out and struck immediately. Something I’m really not used to with my BP history. What a joy! One thing that really surprised me was how active she was following a meal. She fed about 6pm and by 11pm she was already roaming the enclosure again. Definitely not what I was expecting considering the slower metabolism.

Could you give any tips on hook/tap training? Both new concepts for me considering none of my BPs have ever really needed it.

I have a couple hooks, a short smaller one and an ~4' long one that I use. I never pick them up with the hooks (can hurt their ribs). Whenever I go into the cage, for any reason other than feeding, I gently stroke them with the hook until they respond that they are aware of it and awake (usually by moving away from the hook). I will also sometimes place the hook between the boa's head and my hands if they seem especially eager to feed that day just as a fail safe (this is more the case with my sketchy carpet than my boas though).

The idea behind it, is that the boa will learn to associate being touched with the hook with you being in their cage or handling them and will then know that food isn't coming. When you feed, never use the hook and also avoid using the hook to touch any food-smelling items, etc. You don't' have to use a hook. If you have an old golf club or even a paper towel or wrapping paper roll you can use those too.

One night, I noticed that my BCA (my most food-driven boa) had taken a dump in his water...it had to be cleaned. He is more aggressive in his feeding responses at night and I had to use the hook for several seconds to get him out of that mind set. It has really saved my skin a few times as he will literally slam the glass of his cage at signs of motion when he is hungry, so sticking my hands in there isn't an option until he knows I'm not food lol.

Hopefully this helps! I'm sure you will love your boa. I have to say that if I had to sell or get rid of most of my collection, I'd keep my 3 boas. You can't beat the personality, climbing, and great feeding responses. They will take f/t day old chicks too btw and some people feed their adult boas different prey items on a rotation like quail and baby rabbits.

With the freckling, she will get more with age (at least mine has). I think it is an interesting trait they have that you don't see in other species.

Finally, if no one has recommended it to you yet, Vin Russo's book "The Complete Boa Constrictor" is a great resource if you can find a copy of it. Great info on feeding, breeding, the different localities, natural habitats, etc.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-13-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Congrats on the new boa! Such a cutie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    All of the speckling and her blue eyes make me think she might have something going on with her genes, but I couldn't tell you what...
    normal variation IMO and I agree, Bi (BCi)
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-13-2017)

Thanks

Re: Beautiful New Female 😎

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I have a couple hooks, a short smaller one and an ~4' long one that I use. I never pick them up with the hooks (can hurt their ribs). Whenever I go into the cage, for any reason other than feeding, I gently stroke them with the hook until they respond that they are aware of it and awake (usually by moving away from the hook). I will also sometimes place the hook between the boa's head and my hands if they seem especially eager to feed that day just as a fail safe (this is more the case with my sketchy carpet than my boas though).

The idea behind it, is that the boa will learn to associate being touched with the hook with you being in their cage or handling them and will then know that food isn't coming. When you feed, never use the hook and also avoid using the hook to touch any food-smelling items, etc. You don't' have to use a hook. If you have an old golf club or even a paper towel or wrapping paper roll you can use those too.

One night, I noticed that my BCA (my most food-driven boa) had taken a dump in his water...it had to be cleaned. He is more aggressive in his feeding responses at night and I had to use the hook for several seconds to get him out of that mind set. It has really saved my skin a few times as he will literally slam the glass of his cage at signs of motion when he is hungry, so sticking my hands in there isn't an option until he knows I'm not food lol.

Hopefully this helps! I'm sure you will love your boa. I have to say that if I had to sell or get rid of most of my collection, I'd keep my 3 boas. You can't beat the personality, climbing, and great feeding responses. They will take f/t day old chicks too btw and some people feed their adult boas different prey items on a rotation like quail and baby rabbits.

With the freckling, she will get more with age (at least mine has). I think it is an interesting trait they have that you don't see in other species.

Finally, if no one has recommended it to you yet, Vin Russo's book "The Complete Boa Constrictor" is a great resource if you can find a copy of it. Great info on feeding, breeding, the different localities, natural habitats, etc.
    Thanks for all the information, definitely helpful! Hopefully I can find a copy of Vin Russo’s book. I’m sure that would be a great reference to have on hand.

As far as the snake hooks go, I think I’m going to go and buy one of those cheap collapsible ones from petco/petsmart today. For her size now it should work perfectly. I have heard they are pretty flimsy once the snake gets larger so in the meantime I’ll use my handyman skills and hopefully create a much larger one out of an old golf club. Should work just as well and will be a lot cheaper than buying one for $40+ online.

I have taken a few small strikes form my BPs, but something tells me these boas are a completely different ball game. Better safe than sorry! So far she has been everything I wanted out of my BPs and more (don’t tell them that). I’m really excited for what the future will bring.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

So after getting some measurements today, she is approximately 35” long and weighs 352 grams.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123