Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,023

0 members and 2,023 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: UTH better without thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by canineskiba View Post
    My room always stays between 68-70 degrees. Before I got a thermostat for the UTH, the substrate was 2-3 inches thick and it remained a perfect 90-95 degrees. No problems, but as soon as I put on the thermostat on, I'm lucky enough to get a 88 spike. It mainly ranges between 78-86 and I had to remove a lot of substrate to cover up the heat pad to an inch. On the cool side, I have a heat lamp that warms that side up to 80, rarely it gets up to 82/83.

I'm stressing with this thermostat. I know I shouldn't constantly check it but I have too for at times it doesn't get to where I feel comfortable that she's not getting the right heat. Things were so perfect without the thermostat... So I'm not sure what to do.
    80 is great for cool side. 88-91 under my hide on hot side. I see nothing wrong with 88.
    0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

Thanks
    Whoa!?

Okay, a step back please. I'm stressing out already due to it for I never had this problem to get the temperature at the right temp.

Right now, there isn't even a inch of Cyprus much covering up the heat pad right now and not even getting anywhere near 88. It's reading in the 70s - 84. A spike of 85 here and there.

but as soon as I put on the thermostat on, I'm lucky enough to get a 88 spike. It mainly ranges between 78-86 and I had to remove a lot of substrate to cover up the heat pad to an inch.
    Last edited by canineskiba; 11-09-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If you think your ball python will never burrow think again. As someone who has suffered through a burn on a ball python, do not ever go without a thermostat. Make sure you install it correctly. Probe goes outside the tank in direct contact with the thermostat and readings are taken from inside the tank under the substrate at the closest point to the glass/pvc/ plastic/ etc.

Everyone explained 2-3 inches of substrate is far too much. 1/2-1 inch is all you ever need. Do what's best for your snake's health.

But I am replying here because I woke up this morning to a burrowed snake. He pushed excessive substrate out of his warm hide to get to the bottom.

1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    I understand. Think I have maybe an inch thick? Little less? I temped the glass and it was way to hot. So I lowered the thermostat down to where it was suggested where I got the thermostat to get the temp needed for the glass. So I'm hoping I'll get the right temps by the time I get home from work.

Right now she's under the hide on the cool side where it's 80. So I'm hoping she got to hot and moved there and not being cold. I had lost a snake years ago for I couldn't get the right temps, even with the thermostat and that was with a corn snake! I can't lose this little girl, so I'm a bit stressed out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Correction to the reply I made above... thermostat probe goes in direct contact with the UTH. I said with the thermostat which makes no sense
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canineskiba View Post
    I understand. Think I have maybe an inch thick? Little less? I temped the glass and it was way to hot. So I lowered the thermostat down to where it was suggested where I got the thermostat to get the temp needed for the glass. So I'm hoping I'll get the right temps by the time I get home from work.

Right now she's under the hide on the cool side where it's 80. So I'm hoping she got to hot and moved there and not being cold. I had lost a snake years ago for I couldn't get the right temps, even with the thermostat and that was with a corn snake! I can't lose this little girl, so I'm a bit stressed out.
    Don't stress. They are hardier then one may think, and you are here to fix your issues and get help!! So you are already a step ahead

For the next couple of days, check your babies belly once the day, most likely she will be fine. Take the temps ON the glass surface, not on the substrate. As long as your ambient temps are not to cold (and they aren't) you don't have to stress over the UTH creating warm temps ON the substrate. Trust me, the heat dissipates and does reach up there the longer the snake lays there and pushes down the substrate. 90 to 92 at the most on the surface (glass) and about a inch of substrate.

You'll do just fine
    Last edited by zina10; 11-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Thank you guys.

I have the prope taped to the heat pad nice and secure. I just think when we lost power for a couple of days, it sort of made it wonky or something.

I'll check on her tonight when I get home as I lowered the temp down. I checked her before I left and her belly is as white as can be, so I felt relief there.

I'll keep everyone updated. I love this Lil girl, which is funny for I was aiming for another male but she had the personality I was looking for OwO funny how things end up that way.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canineskiba For This Useful Post:

L.West (11-10-2017),zina10 (11-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hi bud ..... I may be off the mark here if so just disregard my post ....

Just concerned to read that you had TAPED the probe to the heatmat ... I read previously that the heat mat was inside the viv which suggests that the TAPE maybe inside the Viv ?!?!

One of the main rules I quickly learnt was that there should NEVER ever be ANY tape inside the viv/rub/enclosure .

I use a hot glue gun to secure any wires or probes INSIDE the vivs .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Um, the prope is outside of the tank for the thermostat. I use a temperature gun (2 of them) to temp the other side of the glass.

Update;; think I'm on the right track. The hottest part of the heat pad is 96 and the thermostat is set at a 93. I know it's still high, so I lowered the thermostat to 90, so hopefully I get a 93 for the high? Thank you everyone for your help ;3; my lil Jade is precious to me and the last thing I want to do is hurt her because I was being stupid and naive of listening to people that obviously don't know what they are talking about.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canineskiba For This Useful Post:

L.West (11-10-2017),PitOnTheProwl (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

UTH better without thermostat

So is the heat mat in the viv ? I just thought you'd mentioned that you'd taped a probe to it - it's the prospect of tape in the viv that was my main concern tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast