Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,214

0 members and 1,214 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Do you separate pregnant mice?

I left a pregnant mouse in a tub with 4 other mice and a male mouse, big tub, and all were eaten. so then I had 3 more pregnant moms in a huge tub, the kind you pack ornaments in and one born and eaten, but they haven't had anymore yet. I removed a female that was not as pregnant as the others, so now down to 2 females. will all be ok?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cannibalism can be an issue with mice, usually it's mainly because of stress and or improper nutrition.

You can keep females together even if one is pregnant and the other is not if you have a good colony there will be no issue.

Now having a good colony with no cannibalism is where the issue lies and it can take time to get to that point.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I actually never combine mice from different colonies, so if you remove a female it's best to keep her alone with her babies for the rest of her life. I usually raise up one of her male offspring to mate back to her. If you keep the male in with the females they will have babies before the other ones are weaned, it actually works best to keep them in colonies so they can group nurse Otherwise you'll have one female and one male with old and young babies, just too much for one mom. Just keep one male to multiple females. Cannibalism is usually from young mice, they will get over it. If I were to throw all my tubs of mice into one big tub they would tear each other up until it was one big bloody mess. I've seen it at pet stores, it's not pretty.