Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

1 members and 3,081 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Do you worry about Uncle Sam and his effect on your passion for reptiles?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Deed restrictions: Not sure, I am not aware of any restrictions to the deed but I will double check with the realtor.
    Your realtor won't know. To know you will need a title search or a copy of the deed and related documents to read.

Thanks

I'll contact the title company before closing so I'll have access to it. I don't see any restrictions arising beyond municipal ordinances (none of which I would be in violation of) in this specific area, but I'll do the research regardless.

Cheers.
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I am torn. For every responsible snake owner, there are twice as many imbeciles that should not even own a picture of a snake. How can we in good conscious allow anyone without proper training to own a 14+ foot 150+ pound snake? We should have the right to responsible pet ownership but when do we draw the line at allowing anyone without education to own something that, if escaped, could cause harm?

I would prefer mandatory training and certification before owning certain class of reptiles (anacondas, reties, alligators, large monitors, and basically anything that if let loose will eat the neighbor's dog). How would this be any different than owning a wolf or a tiger or a chimpanzee?
    In theory, this is a wonderful idea. In reality, I wouldn't trust the state to hand out training certificates for pet rocks. The best thing your government can do is offer an affordable permit program, and require residents 18+ years of age to pass a questionnaire proving they're not an utter moron. Sort of like Texas does, but a half step further.
    Also, I'd probably run from a chimpanzee. The amount of damage tigers, wolves, chimpanzees, alligators and monitors are capable of is a stretch further than most of the larger snakes. (it's been my experience they don't all grow to massive sizes. Big enough to cause you to bleed, sure.)

Anyone who dies as the claws and teeth of their pets is the misfortunate victim of natural selection. Think about it. Stupid people die on the highway every day.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

OP, thanks for starting this thread, it's been an interesting read so far.
    In a perfect world, yeah there would be some sort of regulation regarding who is capable of keeping certain "dangerous" animals. But the fact remains that we do not live in a perfect world and morons will always have animals.
    Now, personally, I would feel safer walking past the "crazy snake guy's house" than I would walking through the neighborhood with as many poorly trained pit bulls as there are people. Please don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but.... I'm more likely to be bitten and seriously injured by a dog than I am a snake.
    If government wants to restrict whether or not I can keep my ferrets, snakes, etc... than you better believe they should be restricting dogs and cats too. However, the lawmakers are more than likely uneducated on the topic of reptiles and exotic pets, so I guess ignorance is bliss...

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-25-2017),Momokahn (11-25-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This thread started out interesting but then started to worry me a bit so I checked in depth where I live. In Kenmore NY, if it’s sold in a pet shop ( excluding traditional farm animals) in NYS, it’s legal in Kenmore. Kenmore code states 2 dogs (no breed restrictions), 2 cats per property (it’s different for actual apartment buildings), and the usual no-go on farm animals.I had to speak with the actual head-honcho to get a maximum 10’ on snakes; species has nothing to do with it. I didn’t look specifically into things like hots or crocs or giant tortoises, but there are different species of turtles sold at pet stores for people with ponds. He told me they are serious about the dogs and licensing but people can get an exemption. No one is going to count the cats looking out of your windows, unless there’s a whole cattery doing so) and no one is coming around with a tape measure to measure your snakes. Ferrets are licensed like dogs. Rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, pet mice and rats are not. If no one knows you are breeding feeder rats, no one cares persay. HOWEVER, Kenmore has a wild rodent problem, so anything that anyone does that “maintains or facilitates” that problem (like excessive dog or rabbit feces in the yard) will be investigated, fined and possibly shut down. Kenmore’s residential areas are just that, so anything that denies a neighbor of their reasonable quiet enjoyment will be investigated (like lingering bad smells, incessant barking... and yes, reasonable fear -which I couldn’t get defined) Dog and cat breeders are under business codes and licensing. I didn’t ask about breeding snakes. Landlords and management companies may make their contracts more stringent but not less so.
    With all the info above, it seems to me that the “less traditional” pets are still open to capricious enforcement once neighbor complaints occur. Under the current command, a neighbor complaining about me sitting on my front porch holding my 7.5’ Dumerils would get no further than someone complaining about a person on a porch with his dozing dog. Personal bias are not relevant. But what happens when the current command changes?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (11-25-2017),Craiga 01453 (11-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    This thread started out interesting but then started to worry me a bit so I checked in depth where I live. In Kenmore NY, if it’s sold in a pet shop ( excluding traditional farm animals) in NYS, it’s legal in Kenmore. Kenmore code states 2 dogs (no breed restrictions), 2 cats per property (it’s different for actual apartment buildings), and the usual no-go on farm animals.I had to speak with the actual head-honcho to get a maximum 10’ on snakes; species has nothing to do with it. I didn’t look specifically into things like hots or crocs or giant tortoises, but there are different species of turtles sold at pet stores for people with ponds. He told me they are serious about the dogs and licensing but people can get an exemption. No one is going to count the cats looking out of your windows, unless there’s a whole cattery doing so) and no one is coming around with a tape measure to measure your snakes. Ferrets are licensed like dogs. Rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, pet mice and rats are not. If no one knows you are breeding feeder rats, no one cares persay. HOWEVER, Kenmore has a wild rodent problem, so anything that anyone does that “maintains or facilitates” that problem (like excessive dog or rabbit feces in the yard) will be investigated, fined and possibly shut down. Kenmore’s residential areas are just that, so anything that denies a neighbor of their reasonable quiet enjoyment will be investigated (like lingering bad smells, incessant barking... and yes, reasonable fear -which I couldn’t get defined) Dog and cat breeders are under business codes and licensing. I didn’t ask about breeding snakes. Landlords and management companies may make their contracts more stringent but not less so.
    With all the info above, it seems to me that the “less traditional” pets are still open to capricious enforcement once neighbor complaints occur. Under the current command, a neighbor complaining about me sitting on my front porch holding my 7.5’ Dumerils would get no further than someone complaining about a person on a porch with his dozing dog. Personal bias are not relevant. But what happens when the current command changes?
    People often forget it's not just what law is written in the books, but also how often it's enforced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12