Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

0 members and 2,826 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do you worry about Uncle Sam and his effect on your passion for reptiles?

So, I'm in the process of buying my first home as I type this......it's been a hectic day to say the least.

However, before I even looked at a house in the particular town I'm moving to I checked state, county, and municipal laws concerning the ownership of reptiles. This particular town? There is nothing restricting ownership at ALL levels......which is GREAT news to me a snake keeper. I feel the best strategy however for me in the future is to keep tight lips about my hobby with the neighbors.

However, as I glanced down the list of municipalities that prohibit snake ownership (not very many, but certainly about 8-10% of them), I had a little bit of worry come over me.....

What if laws are enacted in the future that affect what I love?....do I move? .....do I fight the legislation as a "crazy snake guy" that no one wants to live next to due to his hobby?

Most of the municipalities that restrict reptile ownership ban all snakes over 6ft or have a "constrictor" rule (which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of as most snakes constrict to eat their prey, even if small)

So, what are your thoughts about being confronted with new legislation in the future? Have you had experiences before with a negative result from such legislation?.....of course I realize the importance of USARK from all of this even more now.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why USARK as been created, we as a community have been facing several laws trying to do anything from banning interstate transportation of specific species to banning the ownership of certain reptiles to banning the ownership of exotics in general (from ferret to parakeet to snakes)

This is why it is important to keep up with local and state laws but to also join USARK or volunteer in any capacity possible.

The threat will always be there and it only has gotten worse over the last decade.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-24-2017),Eric Alan (11-07-2017),jmcrook (11-06-2017),John1982 (11-25-2017),KevinK (11-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I am torn. For every responsible snake owner, there are twice as many imbeciles that should not even own a picture of a snake. How can we in good conscious allow anyone without proper training to own a 14+ foot 150+ pound snake? We should have the right to responsible pet ownership but when do we draw the line at allowing anyone without education to own something that, if escaped, could cause harm?

I would prefer mandatory training and certification before owning certain class of reptiles (anacondas, reties, alligators, large monitors, and basically anything that if let loose will eat the neighbor's dog). How would this be any different than owning a wolf or a tiger or a chimpanzee?

I would also feel it environmentally responsible to restrict and force certification in parts of the US for example that can allow a reptile to become invasive.

This of course means better education on the part of lawmakers as well. I feel we also need better control over breeders and sellers of reptiles. The entire process and chain from legislation, selling, breeding, and ownership needs to be addressed and improved upon.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (11-07-2017),Craiga 01453 (11-24-2017),Crowfingers (11-07-2017),KevinK (11-06-2017),Sallos (11-24-2017)

Thanks

Re: Do you worry about Uncle Sam and his effect on your passion for reptiles?

keeping garters is banned in British Columbia as well as most hots.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I am torn. For every responsible snake owner, there are twice as many imbeciles that should not even own a picture of a snake. How can we in good conscious allow anyone without proper training to own a 14+ foot 150+ pound snake? We should have the right to responsible pet ownership but when do we draw the line at allowing anyone without education to own something that, if escaped, could cause harm?

I would prefer mandatory training and certification before owning certain class of reptiles (anacondas, reties, alligators, large monitors, and basically anything that if let loose will eat the neighbor's dog). How would this be any different than owning a wolf or a tiger or a chimpanzee?

I would also feel it environmentally responsible to restrict and force certification in parts of the US for example that can allow a reptile to become invasive.

This of course means better education on the part of lawmakers as well. I feel we also need better control over breeders and sellers of reptiles. The entire process and chain from legislation, selling, breeding, and ownership needs to be addressed and improved upon.
    I've always had mixed feelings on that, sure all the breeders and pet stores are more selective with who they sell to and are better controlled. But may be those same irresponsible people will just get a reptile from a flea market or some dude off Craigslist. I always thought the best thing to do would be to try to educate the keepers that want to improve but I don't really have a solution. It's disheartening.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-07-2017)

Thanks

Having owned snakes for many years, the best thing I like about snakes is they don't bark nor do they need to go outside to go pee. Now don't think for a moment I don't like dogs... I LOVE dogs. My point is city hall has no business what resides inside my house and I have no intent inviting them over for their next city hall meeting. I like the Utopian idea of better educating our local, state, and national government officials about reptiles but history proves that our elected officials do not possess the key component to be educated.......common sense.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momokahn For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Deed Restrictions
    HOA CCR's
    Town Ordinances
    Zoning
    County Regulations
    State Laws
    Federal Laws

All should be taken into account when buying your home.

As for my local elected officials passing laws to regulate exotic animal ownership and breeding... at best mine are ignorant and unwilling to be educated, at worst they associate snakes with the devil (Eve, apple, snake...). Stuck in between are animal control officers who can identify neglect in anything cute and furry, or with livestock, but who are woefully uneducated when it comes to anything with scales.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (11-07-2017),Craiga 01453 (11-24-2017),Crowfingers (11-07-2017),dadofsix (12-21-2017),John1982 (11-25-2017),KevinK (11-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Deed Restrictions
    HOA CCR's
    Town Ordinances
    Zoning
    County Regulations
    State Laws
    Federal Laws

All should be taken into account when buying your home.

As for my local elected officials passing laws to regulate exotic animal ownership and breeding... at best mine are ignorant and unwilling to be educated, at worst they associate snakes with the devil (Eve, apple, snake...). Stuck in between are animal control officers who can identify neglect in anything cute and furry, or with livestock, but who are woefully uneducated when it comes to anything with scales.
    Deed restrictions: Not sure, I am not aware of any restrictions to the deed but I will double check with the realtor
    HOA CCR's:......none, no HOA in my case (to each their own, but all I ever hear about HOA's are nightmare stories)
    Town Ordinances: None, the only restrictions on animals apply to farm animals and birds (specifically chickens)
    Zoning: None applying to the ownership of animals for hobby purposes
    County: None
    State: None
    Federal: None

Pretty laid back, "Mind your own business" kind of town while still being friendly. I will have to get a feel for the town board however.

I really appreciate your list, it makes me double check! Thank you.
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-07-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    I like the Utopian idea of better educating our local, state, and national government officials about reptiles but history proves that our elected officials do not possess the key component to be educated.......common sense.
    EXACTLY

I feel that even bringing up the subject brings up foolish fears in many people and as a result, simply keeping quiet usually seems to be the best solution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post

+1

However, I also see the the downfall with that idea. Local governments tend to simply make the permit process unattainable or affordable if they don't want you owning the animal regardless of proper training. So yeah, they might require you to be educated on the species your working with but then a permit might end up costing you $2000 if they don't like what they hear.
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast