Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

1 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What's the longest your BP has gone w/o shedding?

I took ownership of my BP at the end of Aug (approx 3 months ago) and he has yet to shed. He's put on decent weight and eaten every week (except for the regurgitation of his 1st rat pup 2 weeks ago). I keep waiting for some signs but his color always seems to stay the same. Has anyone gone this long before?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    They slow down once they reach adulthood. Mine will got at least 3 months between shed. shedding is a response to growth either from length or weight. Can be a response to stress but under normal circumstances it is size triggers that start a shed.

I assume this is your snake "Fred"? It could just be that he hasn't out grown his skin is all. Not shedding shouldn't be an issue as they "should" just do it when needed.

Of course you are in recovery mode right now with that regurgitation so I would not worry so much until you get your baby back to normal in a few weeks to a month. Once you get feeding back to a routine you can start keeping a weight log and weigh prey to make sure you are keeping around that proper size for growth.

For now, I would not concern yourself with shedding
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Re: What's the longest your BP has gone w/o shedding?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    They slow down once they reach adulthood. Mine will got at least 3 months between shed. shedding is a response to growth either from length or weight. Can be a response to stress but under normal circumstances it is size triggers that start a shed.

I assume this is your snake "Fred"? It could just be that he hasn't out grown his skin is all. Not shedding shouldn't be an issue as they "should" just do it when needed.

Of course you are in recovery mode right now with that regurgitation so I would not worry so much until you get your baby back to normal in a few weeks to a month. Once you get feeding back to a routine you can start keeping a weight log and weigh prey to make sure you are keeping around that proper size for growth.

For now, I would not concern yourself with shedding
    You're actually the 1st person that I've heard from that's gone this long. I think I mentioned before, I spoke w/ a breeder at the local repticon who thought I was crazy saying that I should see a shed every 3-4 weeks. I've kept a calendar w/ a log of his weight (196g to 260ishg) since I got him.

I haven't been too concerned since he looks healthy (minus the latest regurge). And yes, this is Fred we're talking about. Always appreciate the response(s).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I keep Dante trim. I have never had overweight animals. Predatory species are not designed to be fat and as such my snake sheds when he sheds. Then again he is 7 years old and does whatever he darn well pleases. Like seriously he is a royal pain in the ball python!
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-06-2017)

Thanks
    Mine just shed for the first time in months. I don't keep track of his sheds, so I don't know how many, I'm gonna guess 3-4.
    He got a bit longer, but he never really puts on any weight. And he was extremely dirty. I try to remove poop asap, but he seems to smear it all over the place as soon as he goes, himself included and wipes can only do so much lol.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I don't keep track of sheds, because they happen when they need to. They'll shed at their own pace and growth.

My adult ball pythons maybe every 2-4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I took ownership of my BP at the end of Aug (approx 3 months ago) and he has yet to shed. He's put on decent weight and eaten every week (except for the regurgitation of his 1st rat pup 2 weeks ago). I keep waiting for some signs but his color always seems to stay the same. Has anyone gone this long before?
    How much does your BP weigh? If a snake is being underfed, you won't see sheds as often.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-06-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I don't keep track of sheds, because they happen when they need to. They'll shed at their own pace and growth.

My adult ball pythons maybe every 2-4 months.

How much does your BP weigh? If a snake is being underfed, you won't see sheds as often.
    He's about a year old and weighs 260grams. When I got him, he was 196 grams. I feed him every 7days (large mice and just recently tried to switch over to a rat pup).

Thanks
    My beep had a shed after about 7 weeks (she just had a good shed Friday Nov, 3rd). I'm a newbie beep owner, so I was fretting when she hadn't shed in 3-4 weeks. Coco had a rough first 2 weeks with me, so her eating was spotty, and I think she had to put some weight back on before she started to grow again. Maybe that's why it took her so "long" to shed? Maybe a similar situation since your beep regurged? He'll get there!

Thanks

Well it finally happened. I came home today and did my normal checks of his enclosure; never expecting to see much except maybe a glimpse of his body inside one of the hides. But this time there was a scrunched up shed. My first time since his arrival 3 months ago. I gently lifted up his hide; curious to see if it was a full shed and from what I can tell it was. Are there precautions I need to take now (i.e. Holding, feeding) or are we in the clear?

Here's a picture a day before the shed. I'm still not sure what to look for because this was a surprise.

And here is the shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-16-2017),Starscream (11-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I go through feeding spurts with my snakes depending on how many rats and mice are available at the time. I'm trying to balance out the supply and demand but there is still somewhat of a surge of feeders followed by a lack thereof. I don't record sheds on my snakes but I do notice that if I am feeding a lot of rodents in a short period of time (usually to use them up before they get too big) a lot of my snakes shed within a week or two of a heavy feeding cycle. I'm pretty sure the more you feed the more they shed. I had a couple ball pythons that fasted for about eight months, neither one went to the bathroom or shed, I suppose that's pretty much a maintenance free snake LOL.