Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

3 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I use a 4'x2'x 15" tall enclosure. I have a circle screen cut out on one end that I place my basking bulb / fixture on top of. I also have an LED strip light inside the cage to provide lighting. I do not use UV as I provide supplementation.

One thing others have not mentioned is that you will want to order a cage with a litter dam...My guy is in a C-Serpents cage and I requested a litter dam (it is about 3.5" tall). BTS like to dig and mess around and often spill substrate out of the cage. Even with the dam, mine manages to strew substrate.

I would go with drop down doors...I got sliding doors on the cage for mine and said substrate pieces get in the track (even with the dam) and cause issues. It's not a huge deal, but it is a hassle.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

BPGator (11-06-2017),Deu2e (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Re: Blue tongue skink.

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I use a 4'x2'x 15" tall enclosure. I have a circle screen cut out on one end that I place my basking bulb / fixture on top of. I also have an LED strip light inside the cage to provide lighting. I do not use UV as I provide supplementation.

One thing others have not mentioned is that you will want to order a cage with a litter dam...My guy is in a C-Serpents cage and I requested a litter dam (it is about 3.5" tall). BTS like to dig and mess around and often spill substrate out of the cage. Even with the dam, mine manages to strew substrate.

I would go with drop down doors...I got sliding doors on the cage for mine and said substrate pieces get in the track (even with the dam) and cause issues. It's not a huge deal, but it is a hassle.
    Thanks a lot. Do you know any good places go buy this type of enclosure? I believe animal plastics can provide an circular cut out, but not the other things you mentioned. Thank again for your time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Pretty sure AP can do a taller litter dam, you’ll just have to wait longer for it than a quick-ship T8. Call or e-mail and talk to Ali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Pretty sure AP can do a taller litter dam, you’ll just have to wait longer for it than a quick-ship T8. Call or e-mail and talk to Ali.

Thanks i will do that. In your opinion would this work.

Ap10 with a cut out on one side for the bulb, with an flexwatt for belly heat

Or the cut out for the bulb and an rhp on the other side to keep up the ambient for the whole enclosed with the cut out and bulb for the basking spot. I don't see a lot of ap cages used for skinks, just a lot of glass enclosures. Thank sorry for so many questions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

My son’s skink is in an AP enclosure. He’s got a heat lamp on/in the cutout for the hot spot, and his UVB light along the front or back side. He’s got flexwatt for the “cool” side, but if we were to do it again/upgrade his enclosure I’d probably lean toward a RHP (son is off being a truck driver trainee, so I’ve taken over skink-care ), provided it could be set up to not interfere with the UVB.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    I believe AP can do a custom cage. I ordered mine from C-serpents...They don't advertise that they do cages, but will on special order. That said, you have to pick it up from a show they vend because they assemble them and won't ship them. With AP, you need to call or email to ask for modifications. They have recessed LED light now, but it isn't on the website (you have to request it)..I really like the look of the recessed lighting and it comes installed already.

If I had to do it over again, I'd honestly have gone with an RHP instead of the light fixture and cut out. They main reason is that the cage can't be stacked under another cage and you've got the dome fixture sitting on top of it (which doesn't look great). If you're sure you won't need to put another cage on top of it, and don't mind the look of the dome fixture, then a setup like mine should work for you.

You shouldn't need additional heat if you're using an RHP or basking spot unless the room is very cold. My cage stays in my reptile room which has an ambient temp of 75f, the basking spot is just under 100f, so that gives the skink a good temp range.

I keep my basking lamp and inside tank LED light strip on a timer and do not provide additional heat at night. If you go with an RHP, you can leave it on 24/7 as it won't emit light.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    My son’s skink is in an AP enclosure. He’s got a heat lamp on/in the cutout for the hot spot, and his UVB light along the front or back side. He’s got flexwatt for the “cool” side, but if we were to do it again/upgrade his enclosure I’d probably lean toward a RHP (son is off being a truck driver trainee, so I’ve taken over skink-care ), provided it could be set up to not interfere with the UVB.

Thanks a lot. I have for my bp a ph12 rhp it's kind of big but I live in Mojave desert in California and it gets cold during winter months. But the rhp works great. Keeps my warm side right on point and my cool side right for my bp. I just have to figure out what size tho would do good for the skink. I have this set up in my apt8.

Sent from my galaxy s8 plus using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I believe AP can do a custom cage. I ordered mine from C-serpents...They don't advertise that they do cages, but will on special order. That said, you have to pick it up from a show they vend because they assemble them and won't ship them. With AP, you need to call or email to ask for modifications. They have recessed LED light now, but it isn't on the website (you have to request it)..I really like the look of the recessed lighting and it comes installed already.

If I had to do it over again, I'd honestly have gone with an RHP instead of the light fixture and cut out. They main reason is that the cage can't be stacked under another cage and you've got the dome fixture sitting on top of it (which doesn't look great). If you're sure you won't need to put another cage on top of it, and don't mind the look of the dome fixture, then a setup like mine should work for you.

You shouldn't need additional heat if you're using an RHP or basking spot unless the room is very cold. My cage stays in my reptile room which has an ambient temp of 75f, the basking spot is just under 100f, so that gives the skink a good temp range.

I keep my basking lamp and inside tank LED light strip on a timer and do not provide additional heat at night. If you go with an RHP, you can leave it on 24/7 as it won't emit light.
    Thanks. So i kind of got it I think lol. As stated above I have a nice set up for my bp and the temps are great. So I will try to do the same set up for my skink, I will be ordering an ap t10 so if I have this right in my head lol I will have this set up.

Ap t10 an rhp to keep my temps right because it gets cold here where I live. A basking lamp which I will keep on a timer on a 8 or 12 hour cycle? No light at night but my rhp can stay on. If this is some what correct I will be ordering my ap t10 soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deu2e View Post
    Thanks. So i kind of got it I think lol. As stated above I have a nice set up for my bp and the temps are great. So I will try to do the same set up for my skink, I will be ordering an ap t10 so if I have this right in my head lol I will have this set up.

Ap t10 an rhp to keep my temps right because it gets cold here where I live. A basking lamp which I will keep on a timer on a 8 or 12 hour cycle? No light at night but my rhp can stay on. If this is some what correct I will be ordering my ap t10 soon

I personally don't think the RHP is necessary. The basking lamp will heat your cage during the day. The Skink does not need heat at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    I personally don't think the RHP is necessary. The basking lamp will heat your cage during the day. The Skink does not need heat at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok that's what I was looking for. So even if my home gets to low 50's 60's where I will keep him I'm still ok with just the basking lamp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast