Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,768

2 members and 2,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Blue tongue skink.

Hello I wanted to know if you can keep an blue tongue skink in an ap cage? If so what size do you recommend... Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    T8 is a good size and it's their cheapest terrestrial enclosure at $150 when on sale - as it is now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (11-05-2017)

Thanks

Re: Blue tongue skink.

I use a T8, but it really doesn't give much clearance for an overhead light, if that's how you plan on providing a basking spot. But as far as floor area, the 4' x 2' floor space is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (11-05-2017)

Thanks

Not the greatest pic, but here's mine. I use a very low profile bulb and it gives about 6" of clearance.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Brownspidey (11-08-2017),Deu2e (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I do not know the height of the tank in question. I currently keep my BTS, Frank, in a 5X2'. He is moving, as are all my animals, to a 6X2' boaphile tank (Jeff Ronne is making a 5 tank apartment complex for all my reptiles). The tank I am having made for Frank is 17.5" high, so I can put both a small basking light and a UVB bulb.

First, Skinks like to explore and move around. I have read that the bigger the ground area, the better. Having said that, a 4X2' should be fine.

Secondly, BTS do need UVB exposure and like to bask. I have an UTH and Frank still likes to sit under the UVB and basking light.

In the new tank, I will have UTH and a radiant heat panel to maintain 90ish on the hot side, with a 94-97F hot spot under the small basking bulb and fluorescent UVB bulb.

I am probably not telling you anything you do not know, but wanted to be clear on the UVB requirements. I have had trouble finding a lot of good info on BTS and wanted to make sure you knew.

All the best.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Not the greatest pic, but here's mine. I use a very low profile bulb and it gives about 6" of clearance.

I have a t8 for my bp Reese. I wanted to get an t10 for a future skink because of the clearance. What set up should I use or the requirements? I'm new to skink but wanted something different. Thanks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I do not know the height of the tank in question. I currently keep my BTS, Frank, in a 5X2'. He is moving, as are all my animals, to a 6X2' boaphile tank (Jeff Ronne is making a 5 tank apartment complex for all my reptiles). The tank I am having made for Frank is 17.5" high, so I can put both a small basking light and a UVB bulb.

First, Skinks like to explore and move around. I have read that the bigger the ground area, the better. Having said that, a 4X2' should be fine.

Secondly, BTS do need UVB exposure and like to bask. I have an UTH and Frank still likes to sit under the UVB and basking light.

In the new tank, I will have UTH and a radiant heat panel to maintain 90ish on the hot side, with a 94-97F hot spot under the small basking bulb and fluorescent UVB bulb.

I am probably not telling you anything you do not know, but wanted to be clear on the UVB requirements. I have had trouble finding a lot of good info on BTS and wanted to make sure you knew.

All the best.

David
    I currently have an apt8 with an ph12 rhp for my ball. Where would u mount the bulb if the heat panel is taking up most of the top end of the enclosure?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deu2e View Post
    I currently have an apt8 with an ph12 rhp for my ball. Where would u mount the bulb if the heat panel is taking up most of the top end of the enclosure?

In a 2 foot deep enclosure, there should be room for a moderately sized heat panel and a UVB bulb and basking bulb next to or in front of/behind. That's, I believe what I have in my new boaphile for Frank that is coming soon.

Alternatively, if your temps are reasonable where you are (air temp in room), and the tank is well sealed, could you do an under tank heating element of some kind and a bulb, or bulbs, above it?

I believe BTS temps can drop at night a little, but am not 100% on that. Therefore, if you have under tank heating set to a reasonable temp and are using the bulbs for heat and UVB, that could work. Also, if the UT heating element is able to maintain the temps you want, you could use a lower wattage UVB bulb that does not provide much, if any heat.

Just a thought. As I am not super familiar with the tank you are referencing, not sure what else to say.
    Last edited by dakski; 11-05-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deu2e View Post

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but unless you have an exceptionally cold room, you shouldn't need an RHP and a bulb for basking. You want your hot spot to be around 100°. Your cool side will be fine since one end of the cage is 100°.

Incidentally, the T8 I'm using actually has a ph12 in it because I once used this cage for a BP. I don't run the RHP now because my bulb provides sufficient heat for the whole cage. My cool side is in the high 70s. The bulb is on a timer and you don't need to provide the Skink heat at night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but unless you have an exceptionally cold room, you shouldn't need an RHP and a bulb for basking. You want your hot spot to be around 100°. Your cool side will be fine since one end of the cage is 100°.

Incidentally, the T8 I'm using actually has a ph12 in it because I once used this cage for a BP. I don't run the RHP now because my bulb provides sufficient heat for the whole cage. My cool side is in the high 70s. The bulb is on a timer and you don't need to provide the Skink heat at night.

Lol yes my t8 house my ball python. I live in the desert in c
    California and my night temps drops to low 40's at times. Bob over at pro products recommended a ph12 and it works great. I have my ball python dialed in. I'm speaking of which if I get an t10 how or what do you guys recommend of me to get my temps right. I have seen that I will need a heat bike for him and all. I'm just confused on how I should do it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast