Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 683

0 members and 683 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Exclamation Juvenile house mouse with bum back legs - what can I do?

So long story short, my cat caught a small mouse tonight and when I found it, I picked it up by the tail to throw it out thinking it was dead. Thing is, it very much wasn't. It is pretty active and alive, but its back legs (definitely one, not sure on the other) aren't working. I know these things can carry some pretty nasty stuff, so I havent handled it since putting it in a spare tank with some aspen bedding, a little water, some apple pieces, and an old sock (this was very short-notice, obviously). I have purelled the daylight out of my hands as well.

I would just let it outside and let nature take its course, but it's freezing outside and I know thats a death sentence. Obviously I don't want to re-release it into my kitchen either. I'm searching for wildlife rescues but I'm not sure any have interest in a house mouse. Despite seeming active, I know his back legs are bad. Is there anything I can do to help the little guy? And if not, how can I humanely euthanize him? I don't get paid till friday and I didn't really budget myself for a spontaneous vet mouse-euthanasia visit.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to honeybee For This Useful Post:

LyraIsGray (06-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Snap his neck with a pen, or a rod-like object. Right at the base of the back of the skull, instant death and nervous system shutdown, with only a second of pain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

honeybee (11-04-2017)

Thanks

Re: Juvenile house mouse with bum back legs - what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Snap his neck with a pen, or a rod-like object. Right at the base of the back of the skull, instant death and nervous system shutdown, with only a second of pain.
    I'm thinking this will be the best route. I've also seen some recommendations seuggesting a redneck c02 euthenasia - plastic bag with the little guy inside, held to a car exhaust for a few minute, done.

I've contacted a few wildlife rescues in the meantime, so hopefully I will be able to take him into one of those. I'm not even sure he'll last the night if my cat managed to get a good bite in. Poor little thing. Nature does as it pleases I guess.

For a neck-breaking I've read standard process is getting him dizzy by spinning him from his tail, then places a pencil over his neck and lifting his bback straight up. Is this in-line with how this sort of procedure should be done? I'd like it to be as painless as possible if it has to be done.

Still kind of crossing my fingers I can bring him into a wildlife rehab centre and they'll be able to care for him, but I do think this is more than likely a lost cause.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What ended up happening? Poor little guy.