Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

0 members and 2,890 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Can't decide on which albino morph. Thoughts?

Ok, so I have my budget for a BP set at $250 USD. Originally I was planning on going to an expo, but after calculating the costs of travel/food/entry/etc., it seems comparable to shipping costs. That said, I've been looking at a few different albinos from Dynasty Reptiles, since I've heard good things about them, and their snakes are already feeding on F/T. I haven't quite settled on if I should get a male or female yet, but I'm leaning towards female. Technically I'm only buying as a pet for now, but I know if I change my mind in the future and want to breed, having a female first would be ideal. Plus, while I'm not sure how accurate the info is, I've heard males are more likely to go on feeding strikes during mating season and I'd rather have a snake that's more likely to feed consistently. I think the only thing I'd see as a plus side to males is they tend to stay smaller.

Here's all the currently listed albino snakes from this particular seller within my budget: [X]

Originally I was eyeing one of the standard albinos, but then I noticed Albino Enchis also listed, and now I'm torn. So far I've seen albinos that have the white fade to yellow, or it may stay mostly yellow and white, and I'm good with either as long as there's at least a little white left. The Enchis seem like the white turns orange, and I wonder if they'd have any white left on them once they get older?

If anyone has any input on these two morphs, please share...especially if you have any pics of what these types of snakes look like as adults. I see tons of hatchling pics, but rarely adults, and Google images search is meh at best.
    Last edited by Hikari; 11-03-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: format fix

Thanks
    For what it's worth, I ended up settling on the Albino Enchi. I found enough pics of some to finally decide it's most likely what I'll be looking for. Fingers crossed the one I get ages into her colors nicely.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Can't decide on which albino morph. Thoughts?

if it doesn't matter to you immediately and it might in the future for breeding why would you get a female? then you have the albino gene locked into a single animal and you're restricted to her egg laying schedule; what if she doesn't lay or lays bad eggs, etc.

if you get a male you can pass the albino gene on to multiple snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Personally if I were starting out I'd get females first. Females take the longest to mature, so if you want eggs you have to wait three years for a female. A male can mature in about a year. I'd buy all your females first, then decide in a couple years on what male to pair with them.Then in three years you are ready to go. Plus if you wait for two years to buy your males the prices will most likely drop, then you can get males with more genes in the mix. I got too many males when I started out and ended up with a lot of males ready to go and not enough females that were up to proper weight.

I have two albino females about 1500 - 2000 grams, a high contrast and a low contrast. I can't believe the difference between them it's like night and day. Personally I'd pick from a high contrast line if I had a choice. My low contrast is het pied so I'm not sure it will make much of a difference once you get an albino pied.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-05-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illaoi View Post
    if it doesn't matter to you immediately and it might in the future for breeding why would you get a female? then you have the albino gene locked into a single animal and you're restricted to her egg laying schedule; what if she doesn't lay or lays bad eggs, etc.

if you get a male you can pass the albino gene on to multiple snakes.

If they decide to breed, there's nothing stopping them from getting an albino combo male..... On the other hand the females take far longer to raise to maturity.

I like the albino enchi pictures I've seen. I was actually kinda disappointed with the super enchi albino as he turned out just to be a yellow snake with some side pattern. I bred the super enchi albino to an albino this year and kept a female to raise up. Hoping to see some of that orange color come through.

Thanks
    I appreciate all the feedback on breeding y'all. I'm glad I guessed right that getting a female first was the right call. I know they take much longer to get to breeding weight. In the meantime, I have plenty of time to decide if I want to breed or not. If I do decide to breed, then I'll have a female ready to roll. Granted, I know breeding is not something to be taken lightly, as it's a lot of work (speaking as someone who's family used to breed dogs), so I wouldn't even think about it unless I knew I could do it right and properly care for the offspring. I'd also need to learn a lot more about BP genetics. I've read a bit, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. Then, and only then, would I get into breeding. I don't even really know what kinds of morphs could even work with an Albino Enchi (besides other albinos, cause recessive gene)...I just got her cause I fell in love the Enchi markings. There's also a good chance I'll end up with a yellow and orange BP in the future, which just sounds awesome to me (and even if she mostly stays yellow and white, or a mix of those colors, I'm still 100% okay with that too).

At any rate, I get to meet her on the 7th, and I am super excited about meeting my new snake friend!

Thanks
    Good choice. I love what enchi does to the albino gene. Personally, I'm looking at an albino enchi pied project in the future. My enchi pied male is ready, but my albino girl is still small, which is fine since I have other girls to pair him with in the meantime. They're both gorgeous snakes and I'm really excited about the potential of this project.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    Good choice. I love what enchi does to the albino gene. Personally, I'm looking at an albino enchi pied project in the future. My enchi pied male is ready, but my albino girl is still small, which is fine since I have other girls to pair him with in the meantime. They're both gorgeous snakes and I'm really excited about the potential of this project.
    That sounds awesome! I could theoretically work on a project like that with my girl, according to the morph calculators, but there's nooo way I could afford the snakes it'd involve, lol. Good luck! If you ever succeed, I look forward to seeing it.
    Last edited by Hikari; 11-06-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    That sounds awesome! I could theoretically work on a project like that with my girl, according to the morph calculators, but there's nooo way I could afford the snakes it'd involve, lol. Good luck! If you ever succeed, I look forward to seeing it.
    Thanks!

You'd only need a male pied, unless you wanted to buy more expensive snakes. Admittedly, it probaby would go a lot faster if I bought double hets or even an albino het pied, but I wanted to be picky about the quality of the recessive genes involved. So I decided to start with visuals and make my own double hets.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback on breeding y'all. I'm glad I guessed right that getting a female first was the right call. I know they take much longer to get to breeding weight. In the meantime, I have plenty of time to decide if I want to breed or not. If I do decide to breed, then I'll have a female ready to roll. Granted, I know breeding is not something to be taken lightly, as it's a lot of work (speaking as someone who's family used to breed dogs), so I wouldn't even think about it unless I knew I could do it right and properly care for the offspring. I'd also need to learn a lot more about BP genetics. I've read a bit, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. Then, and only then, would I get into breeding. I don't even really know what kinds of morphs could even work with an Albino Enchi (besides other albinos, cause recessive gene)...I just got her cause I fell in love the Enchi markings. There's also a good chance I'll end up with a yellow and orange BP in the future, which just sounds awesome to me (and even if she mostly stays yellow and white, or a mix of those colors, I'm still 100% okay with that too).

At any rate, I get to meet her on the 7th, and I am super excited about meeting my new snake friend!
    you were wrong. my argument stands and you could easily buy an adult het albino and have babies very soon after your male is a year or so old. so it's actually less time. other guy who said to get females first IS WRONG AND A NOOB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast