Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,461

2 members and 3,459 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

My fiance's father passed away last night

My future father-in-law died last night. He died in the rehab wing of a nursing home. They found him unresponsive in his room and called 911. They gave him CPR all the way from the rehab center to the emergency room of the hospital and they continued to give CPR once he arrived at the ER of the hospital. No one knows how long he went without breathing. He had many serious health problems and fell twice here at home and fractured some bones. I feel like this all my fault because I had two nervous breakdowns while taking care of him, I couldn't cope. My anxiety and bipolar always cause me to fail. I tried my best and it just wasn't good enough. I have a very strong feeling of guilt over all of this. My fiancé has no family left, he was adopted by his father and mother. He has no siblings but I am going to be strong for him because he has been here for me through some of my worst days. Together, my fiancé and I will get through this and move on in life. We are looking to get our own house as soon we can. I am taking medical transcription classes online because I want to do this from home as a job. I guess life just has to go on.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    So sorry for your loss. I know it must be hard, but please don't blame yourself. His health issues would have been there regardless of what you did. Even if you did EVERYTHING 100% spot on perfect, which NOBODY does, he still would have had health issues. Falling is an accident and can happen to anybody, even if all safety measures are taken. Don't beat yourself up, be there for your fiance and mourn the way you need to.
    My thoughts are with you and your fiance.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-31-2017),ballpythonluvr (10-31-2017),Sunnieskys (10-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: My fiance's father passed away last night

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonluvr View Post
    My future father-in-law died last night. He died in the rehab wing of a nursing home. They found him unresponsive in his room and called 911. They gave him CPR all the way from the rehab center to the emergency room of the hospital and they continued to give CPR once he arrived at the ER of the hospital. No one knows how long he went without breathing. He had many serious health problems and fell twice here at home and fractured some bones. I feel like this all my fault because I had two nervous breakdowns while taking care of him, I couldn't cope. My anxiety and bipolar always cause me to fail. I tried my best and it just wasn't good enough. I have a very strong feeling of guilt over all of this. My fiancé has no family left, he was adopted by his father and mother. He has no siblings but I am going to be strong for him because he has been here for me through some of my worst days. Together, my fiancé and I will get through this and move on in life. We are looking to get our own house as soon we can. I am taking medical transcription classes online because I want to do this from home as a job. I guess life just has to go on.
    My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your fiance' over the loss. It's always painful to lose a loved one and never gets easy to deal with. However you have to know that all of your emotions at this point are normal and part of the grieving process. Although you may feel like it's all your fault it most certainly is not! We have no control over fate. It is a part of life and death. You said you tried your best... and that's all we have is our best to offer. We do our best bc that is the most that we can do. The rest is out of our hands and that's the way you have to look at it. Grieving is a process and takes us through a gamut of emotions all of which is normal and takes time. Stay strong for you first and everything else will follow. Stay in peace and not pieces too.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-31-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-31-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Your fiance's father's death is NOT YOUR FAULT. Feeling guilty is a natural part of the grieving process. It is normal to think "What if I had just..." because that's how we learn from our experiences. Unfortunately that doesn't take into account the simple fact that we all get old, and one day we will all die despite the best efforts of our loved ones and our doctors.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-31-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Just the fact that you are feeling guilty means that you did everything in your power to help out to the point of breaking. I know because this is what my mom did for my brother. I do know that without her no one would have cared and he would have been much worse off. Getting close to someone and pouring out your life like you did is an honorable thing that not many people have the will power to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i'm sorry for your loss. sending positive vibes your way~~~
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: My fiance's father passed away last night

I’m so sorry. Try not to blame yourself, taking care of people is a lot of work that even large families struggle with. Choosing a facility with a full staff of round-the-clock professional caretakers is *not* failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    My condolences.

It's okay to grieve but you cannot beat yourself over this. Some things are just out of your control. But you have worked so hard to get better. I recall that your fiance was very supportive of you and he needs you now. Stay strong, stay loved.

<3

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-01-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-31-2017)