Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

2 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

IRIS VE175/Christmas Tree Tub

Currently eyeing a good deal on one of these but debating heating solutions for a BP in these since they have raised footing on the bottom that'll make putting a UTH on the unit a pain. I currently have a CHE and know how to mod the top to allow for use of one of those, but will the animal be ok with solely a CHE (long as it's heating the floor of the enclosure to the needed 90F or so for hotspot) or should I bother jury rigging something like a UTH on a board kept under the tub to supplement?

Definitely want to consider using this container since it fits our/the animal's needs well.

So trying to figure out if anyone has tips for removing those footing pieces on the bottom or whatnot.

Example: http://www.ruscelli.com/turtles_enclosures.htm (scroll down a bit to see the pics).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (11-01-2019),Godzilla78 (10-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Because of how cold it's already gotten, I've had to attach my UTH on the side of my tub as well as use the CHE. I found a piece of styrofoam at a craft store and then cut out a divot for my probe, so it'd fit flush with the tub. Then taped the heat pad onto the styrofoam with aluminum tape to try to maximize heat.

I'm not sure if it'll be enough for the gap beneath the IRIS tub, since I don't know how big the gap is, but that's what I've done to try ro keep things where they should be.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    Given how cheap this thing is, another solution I was considering was making a false floor in it to cover a pair of UTH. Mostly evaluating my options for the thing, ATM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    THAT is a huge tub, and a great idea. There are many ways to heat it, a UTH is not necessary if you can heat it properly with another method. If you insulate under the heater (or on the side, as Starscream does), then you don't need to have the UTH pressed to the tub, as the heat loss will be minimal. I would think a CHE over the hot side would be adequate, and hopefully create a thermal gradient, but you may have to supplement as Starscream has.

Thanks
    Since the one I'm going to be getting has the compartment lid as well, considering the possibilities of doing a DIY RHP too, like so. My current UTH will need replaced anyway (adhered, too small) and the CHE might need to be as well so essentially I'm free to play with options for heating this thing.

Kinda envious since the RUB version doesn't have all the junk on the bottom.

Thanks
    Only thing about the RUB version is how thin it is compared to the length. @IRIS was it necessary to do the weird boxy shapes down the bottom of the tubs lmao. An RHP might work better for a tub that size, tho the DIY one you linked has tape where a snake could get to it, by the looks of it? Only complaint about that.

I've personally wondered about making some kind of platform made of thin pieces or wood, or again styrofoam, and attaching an RHP to it within the enclosure, right below the lid. This is all just thinking, and I have no idea how it would work without actually sitting down and designing it and following through. But you could maybe put this platform low enough to have some kind of area your boy can climb onto? An elevated hotspot? IDK if I'm making sense.

Throwing crazy ideas out there, feel free to ignore if you want lol.
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    Probably was to stabilize the bottom of the tubs, says my college degree in design; like product boxing and stuff. At that scale, the designer was probably worried about the bottom bowing out and snapping off/cracking once a certain amount of weight was put inside of it. Thus the structure to disperse the weight load.

For the DIY RHP I'd be enclosing it in a box structure anyway, I can't link to the IRIS I'm looking at but it's like the RUB in the fact that it has a storage compartment ABOVE the tub itself like so.

So, essentially I'd affix the Ultratherm or whatever on the lid of that compartment, cut into the bottom of the compartment for the screen/etc guard for the snake, in what would be its "roof". Thus creating a RHP where the heat element is vented by being against the top side, the snake is protected by a 1"+ deep compartment, and no humidity can escape from the ventilation. Sorta weird to describe unless you see the tub in hand.

Obviously, Ultratherm might not be what we'd settle on, but essentially even if I got a traditional RHP we'd be mounting it similarly into the "attic compartment" of this particular model of the VE175.

You can see the storage box area vaguely in this picture of it:

So ultimately I could have the substrate deeper, let him burrow how he likes, and that'll elevate the hides and thus surface point I'd be monitoring for heating.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 10-30-2017 at 09:28 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-30-2017)

Thanks
    Oh, okay, I read the compartment part but it didn't really register. Whenever I look these tubs up online I can't find the green version, only the red, which doesn't have the compartment. Hmm. I kind of want the compartment version when I upgrade sometime next year, might do something like you plan to do. But where to find it..... (sorry to distract lol).

The RHP idea sounds fantastic! Maybe you could attach the UTHs to the parts of the tub that do touch the ground??? Hmm. Maybe someone else will pipe up with more ideas for this, because I'm really liking it so far.
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Should be able to use some sort of heat tape or heat pad on the top as a makeshift lightweight RHP. Not sure how to safely secure it inside the lid as that lid will be opened to access. Maybe cut the lid in half and install hinges so only one side is used to open for feeding and cleaning? That way the other side can have either an actual RHP or heat tape rigged as a DIY RHP
    Last edited by SDA; 10-30-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: IRIS VE175/Christmas Tree Tub

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Oh, okay, I read the compartment part but it didn't really register. Whenever I look these tubs up online I can't find the green version, only the red, which doesn't have the compartment. Hmm. I kind of want the compartment version when I upgrade sometime next year, might do something like you plan to do. But where to find it..... (sorry to distract lol).

The RHP idea sounds fantastic! Maybe you could attach the UTHs to the parts of the tub that do touch the ground??? Hmm. Maybe someone else will pipe up with more ideas for this, because I'm really liking it so far.
    I believe its an older version of the tub, I'd link you to the listing but the site's acting up on me ATM.

It is on Walmart, hopefully the link will get to working sooner or later again.

Red top is the more common one and seems to come without, I think the green is a specialized one like the RUB tops.

Research so far says at this height the RHP should provide him with enough heat, especially if I do some "tiered" levels in the enclosure like I was considering for passive climbing opportunities. Otherwise I'll just make a "shelf" to go under the tub out of melamine or whatever and tape the UTH onto that then set the tub on top for that. Will have to see how hardcore I need to go with the heating here in Wisconsin this year, shaping up to be a cold winter by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Should be able to use some sort of heat tape or heat pad on the top as a makeshift lightweight RHP. Not sure how to safely secure it inside the lid as that lid will be opened to access. Maybe cut the lid in half and install hinges so only one side is used to open for feeding and cleaning? That way the other side can have either an actual RHP or heat tape rigged as a DIY RHP
    Lid has a hinge to access both sides, so I'd not be messing with the compartment side except to remove the entire top for cleaning it out. Would open the side without the compartment. So, exactly as you were thinking!

I'm normally against shopping WM, but this tub is essentially perfect, I saw one last year but didn't have him yet at the time so I didn't buy it. Kinda kicking myself about it now since he started getting a lot bigger since May (probably since he's been eating more regularly than he used to) and is now on the cusp of being too big for his 20g (IMHO).

So, since he's a shared pet between my GF and I we're looking for his "Christmas Present" early.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-30-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast