Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

2 members and 2,985 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Recommend A Good Cheap Humidifier?

Unfortunately, winter is once again sneaking up on us and i'm watching the humidity level plummet in my snake room. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap humidifier that would keep the humidity at 50% - 60% in an 8' x 11' room throughout the winter months, where humidity can reach as low as 16% - 19%?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    This is the only humidifier I've bought that made a noticeable difference, 100 bucks, but I've spent 40-50 bucks on 3 different humidifiers and even running all 3 of them couldn't compete with this one. Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier, 9-Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGLPCN8..._nz79zb8DXMVJ6

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (10-31-2017),Godzilla78 (12-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for your recommendation man. I really appreciate it! As it turns out, I went to pick up a live rat from a local snake/rat breeder and I brought this subject up. He took me into his snake room and showed me his cheap little 1 gallon $20.00 cool mist humidifier. His room is probably almost twice the size of mine and he claims that his little humidifier will easily keep his room 60% - 70% and even cause condensation to form on his walls. How large of a room do you keep your snakes in?

Thanks
    10x20, but I used to have a 10x8 and ran 2 cheaper humidifiers and they barely kept up. Guess it all depends how harsh your house is on the humidity. I'm sure you'll find something that works out for you.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Recommend A Good Cheap Humidifier?

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    This is the only humidifier I've bought that made a noticeable difference, 100 bucks, but I've spent 40-50 bucks on 3 different humidifiers and even running all 3 of them couldn't compete with this one. Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier, 9-Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGLPCN8..._nz79zb8DXMVJ6
    How difficult is that humidifier to clean? I need to get one for my place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    How difficult is that humidifier to clean? I need to get one for my place.
    Most of it comes apart pretty easy, a few things like the sight glass require a little more work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks again for your recommendation, OhhWatALoser. After doing quite a bit of research on many different humidifiers I decided to go ahead and order the one you suggested. It will supposedly cover up to 3200 square feet and only uses about 65 watts of power on high. I found a brand new one on Ebay for $125.99 (with free shipping). I could totally see those cheap little 1 gallon humidifiers not even touching the dryness in my house during the later winter months when humidity drops clear down as low as 16%, as i've seen it do.

For anyone else, who is looking for a higher performance humidifier here are the specs for this one:

Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier

The 9.0-gallon Recirculating Humidifier offers contemporary styling and efficient humidification up to 3,200 square feet, making it ideal for multiple rooms and large living areas. 9.0-Gallon Output per Day (4.5-Gallon Water Capacity); Easy-to-Fill, Removable Water Reservoir with Dual Handles; Adjustable Humidistat for Personalized Comfort; Patented, Cascading Waterfall Shows it's Working; Castors for Mobility on any Surface; Three Comfort Control Speeds; ETL/cETL Listed; 22" L x 14" W x 17" H; includes filter.

- Tank Capacity: 4.50 gal
    - Water Rate: 9 gal/Day
    - Coverage: 3200 Sq. ft.
    - Features: Self Clean Function, Quiet Operation
    - Color: White
    - Height: 22"
    - Width: 14"
    - Depth: 17"
    - Weight (Approximate): 18.70 lb

The Lasko 9-Gallon humidifier is ideal for use in multiple rooms. Large enough of an output to cover almost any size room. The continuous water recirculation self-cleans the filter and maintains the unit's efficiency. The evaporative output helps to eliminate some of the concerns associated with a cool mist humidifier. The quiet operations and the high performance make this humidifier a must have!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (11-01-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Thanks again for your recommendation, OhhWatALoser. After doing quite a bit of research on many different humidifiers I decided to go ahead and order the one you suggested. It will supposedly cover up to 3200 square feet and only uses about 65 watts of power on high. I found a brand new one on Ebay for $125.99 (with free shipping). I could totally see those cheap little 1 gallon humidifiers not even touching the dryness in my house during the later winter months when humidity drops clear down as low as 16%, as i've seen it do.

For anyone else, who is looking for a higher performance humidifier here are the specs for this one:

Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier

The 9.0-gallon Recirculating Humidifier offers contemporary styling and efficient humidification up to 3,200 square feet, making it ideal for multiple rooms and large living areas. 9.0-Gallon Output per Day (4.5-Gallon Water Capacity); Easy-to-Fill, Removable Water Reservoir with Dual Handles; Adjustable Humidistat for Personalized Comfort; Patented, Cascading Waterfall Shows it's Working; Castors for Mobility on any Surface; Three Comfort Control Speeds; ETL/cETL Listed; 22" L x 14" W x 17" H; includes filter.

- Tank Capacity: 4.50 gal
    - Water Rate: 9 gal/Day
    - Coverage: 3200 Sq. ft.
    - Features: Self Clean Function, Quiet Operation
    - Color: White
    - Height: 22"
    - Width: 14"
    - Depth: 17"
    - Weight (Approximate): 18.70 lb

The Lasko 9-Gallon humidifier is ideal for use in multiple rooms. Large enough of an output to cover almost any size room. The continuous water recirculation self-cleans the filter and maintains the unit's efficiency. The evaporative output helps to eliminate some of the concerns associated with a cool mist humidifier. The quiet operations and the high performance make this humidifier a must have!
    I wonder if it's as effective in split level homes. Regardless, I can keep it on low and stick it in the lower level.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I was also wondering if I were to keep this running on the first floor of my house if it would increase the humidity on the second floor. I have my doubts... It would be nice if I could also benefit from it, but clearly the snakes health is more important than my own... lol My furnace actually has a built in humidifier. I just need to replace the pump. I really need to be doing that...

Thanks
    Just an update on the Lasko 1128 Evaporative Recirculating Humidifier in case anyone else is looking for a good humidifier. I received mine today and so far, I am very impressed! The humidity was pretty high in my snake room today, because we have had some rain, so the humidity was already at 53%. Once I got this humidifier setup and running it brought the humidity right up to 60% within less than 15 minutes I would say. I ran it on high at first until the humidity reached 60% then I switched it to low and it has been maintaining 60% humidity in my snake room ever since. One of the things I like about this humidifier is it has a built-in humidistat, so it will sense when the water level in the air has gone down and kick the humidifier off and on automatically. Another great thing about this humidifier is that is uses very little wattage. When tested on a killowatt meter it only draws 71 watts on high, 66 watts on medium and only 58 watts on low. So, it's very efficient.

The room i'm currently using is only 8' x 11', so I would have to say this humidifier is waaay overkill for such a small room considering it is capable of humidifying up to 3200 square feet. But, I have already pretty much outgrown this small room already and I will be moving my snakes to a much larger room in my house before too long. So, this will be great!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (12-13-2017),OhhWatALoser (11-06-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast