Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 825

1 members and 824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Scale rot on belly scales?

I have a baby hognose snake. While weighing her one day, I noticed a portion of her belly scales near her tail were sort of "detached" or flaky, if that's the right word to describe it. One of them rubbed off on my hand as I inspected them and underneath was perfectly healthy, normal belly scales. A couple others came off the same way, with no sign of injury or anything. Beneath the flaky scales was always normal belly scales. The rubbed off scales were translucent, with a tinge of yellow(very little, more like dust). My first instinct was to think of scale rot, but it didn't look like standard descriptions of scale rot(no discoloration, boils, etc). What could it be?

Info if needed: 90 on hot side, 75-80 on cool side depending on time of day. Heating source is rhp controlled by thermostat. Humidity is usually 40-45%. Bedding is aspen shavings to allow tunnels. 2 hides on each side, which she doesn't use very often(she prefers to dig) She eats f/t pinkies every 4 days, though she's a bit picky sometimes. When she's not digesting, she digs around, peeks out from the substrate, and explores. The breeder said that she hasn't shed since she hatched, and I haven't noticed her shedding since I got her, but there was a week-long period 2 weeks ago when she stayed under the substrate and refused to eat.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Scale rot on belly scales?

i don't own a hognose but if you post a picture showing these scales it'll help others help you better.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see a picture of what you are talking about. Clear close up.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Scale rot on belly scales?

Heres some pictures I took of her belly, hopefully these are good enough(she was very wiggly, not quite used to being held yet). It seems like most of the detached and translucent scales have come off since the last time I checked them but there's still bits and pieces left over and the scales do look very strange. I was planning to bring her to a vet to get it checked but a few days ago my parents suddenly told me that all spending of money was to be halted for a month so I'm unable to.

https://imgur.com/gallery/l0IpC

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good news, it does not look like scale rot.

To me it looks like left over shed, from how long ago who know but usually if you have left over shed on a snake in some spotty areas it will become more and more obvious as time go by and it's rubbing of and pealing of.

Nothing I would be concern about so long it look dry.
    Deborah Stewart