Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 559

0 members and 559 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anaconda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    I know this is about yellows, but when we went to the St Louis Zoo they had this MASSIVE green, and they said she'll only take a pig once a month, and refuses any other prey items. Didn't mention what size, mind you, but this girl was HUGE, probably bigger around than my entire body at her widest point. So, pigs are probably also an option for yellows as well.

(I have a pic of this girl if anyone wants to see it lol she was my favorite)
    Last edited by Starscream; 10-27-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Registered User William Snakespeare's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anaconda

Eish, anacondas dont seem easy going pets anymore. Probably something i would get in the future considering that they need phenomenal cage sizes, need large meals and poop alot. Well thanks guys for all your help, i guess i might just get a common bci boa

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Snakespeare View Post
    Eish, anacondas dont seem easy going pets anymore. Probably something i would get in the future considering that they need phenomenal cage sizes, need large meals and poop alot. Well thanks guys for all your help, i guess i might just get a common bci boa

Yup, all the really big constrictors like retics, burms and anacondas require commitment. I have a 7' SD retic and he is by far my most expensive snake to maintain. I have to clean his cage every month or month and a half. I usually feed him every 10 days with a jumbo rat or 2XL guinea pig and when i take him out, he is definitely a handful even though he's a giant puppy. He just loves to explore.

As for caging, he's in an Animal Plastics T25(72x30x18) cage and might possibly need a T65(96x30x18) next summer.

There is nothing wrong with boas. As you can see from my sig, most of my snakes are boas and i love them. They are laid back, get an impressive size and dont need to eat as much. They still arent cheap though. My big boas are also in T25 cages. They also arent cheap if you are getting certain morphs. You could check into getting a BCC which generally get larger than BCI but take longer and have a more focused feeding regime. Depending what you are looking for, a nice suriname BCC will run you about $600 and a nice Iquitos or Pucallpa Peruvian BCC will run you around $800-$1000.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts

Will a male yellow also need to fees rabbits? Or nust like multiple rats? I dont really like the fact if i have to feed rabbits because i dont know where to get them and theyre just big. I dont know how to explain it.
    There are several vendors that sell frozen feeder rabbits and pigs and ship them to you, no different than mice and rats.

Banned
    Thanks

I would prefer a boa constrictor over anything else basically. But yellow anaconda and bci require almost the same cage size because they reach almost the same size as adults, the one who was better fed and had better husbandary will be the bigger one at the end. I just finished the adult cage for my 17 months old bci, size in feet: 7,20 long, 2,60 deep, 4,60 high. I might post photos later. Also meal sizes are the same, my male bci just ate his live large rat yesterday (300g). When it comes to poop, bci,s poop don,t smell that bad, very normal and once every 2 weeks on average. I read that yellow anaconda,s poop smells horrible and that they pee and poop too often and that they like to do it in water.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Dutti; 10-27-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12