Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,665

1 members and 2,664 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anaconda

Registered User William Snakespeare's Avatar
    Thanks

Anaconda

Hi guys, I might get a baby yellow anaconda. I still need to do research and prepare for it. But in the meantime, can anyone share their experiences with greens or yellows. These are truly very impressive snakes. I heard many people say that anacondas are very unpredictable and never tame down but there may be exceptions. Oh yes and can you guys also share some feeding tips that you follow

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I wouldn't call them unpredictable so much as nonchalant in their "hurting" of the hand that feeds them. My F1 yellow would calmly turn his head into me and give me a good slashing about once a year, despite me having worked with him a great deal since he was a nippy newborn. My F3 green never made me bleed. I considered both animals extremely tame. I'd feed larger meals every 2-3 weeks. Careful not to overfeed. There are already enough morbidly obese anacondas in captivity without adding more.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-26-2017),ryu80 (07-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: Anaconda

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I wouldn't call them unpredictable so much as nonchalant in their "hurting" of the hand that feeds them. My F1 yellow would calmly turn his head into me and give me a good slashing about once a year, despite me having worked with him a great deal since he was a nippy newborn. My F3 green never made me bleed. I considered both animals extremely tame. I'd feed larger meals every 2-3 weeks. Careful not to overfeed. There are already enough morbidly obese anacondas in captivity without adding more.
    So if i handle a baby frequently and feed well, i'll have a happy anaconda? And what do you feed every 2-3 weeks?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Snakespeare View Post
    So if i handle a baby frequently and feed well, i'll have a happy anaconda? And what do you feed every 2-3 weeks?

Not necessarily. I fed rats and rabbits.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts
    I have a yellow, which was a rescue. Vet figured she was 6-12 months old when we got her in January. She started out extremely defensive and even now will nip if she thinks she's being trapped when you hold her. If you move slowly and deliberately, and don't loom over her, then she's ok. I still touch her with a hook before I put a hand anywhere near her, and ideally I can get her to crawl out of the enclosure and across my hand if I need to pick her up.

She's also a lot quicker than you would expect a heavy-bodied snake to be, both to turn on you or to run if she gets scared.

Mine was picky at first about eating, most likely from stress. Quail chicks got her eating, now she eats either a medium rat or a rabbit kit every two weeks. They need to be fed more like boas than pythons.

Also they like the water, a lot. If you give them a tub big enough to soak in, they will use it.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Last edited by cchardwick; 10-26-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks

Great video but that is all about greens not yellows. Are yellows more feisty and tempermental compared to the greens?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Not necessarily. I fed rats and rabbits.
    Will a male yellow also need to fees rabbits? Or nust like multiple rats? I dont really like the fact if i have to feed rabbits because i dont know where to get them and theyre just big. I dont know how to explain it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Great video but that is all about greens not yellows. Are yellows more feisty and tempermental compared to the greens?

From the limited knowledge and second hand info i got about anacondas, yes, yellows are more feisty than greens in general. But there are always exceptions. Also a gal i knew had a green and that thing did LOVE water. It spent 99% of the time in the water lol. And when she took it out, depending how the snake felt, it sometimes would drop a huge deuce which if you arent fast could end up on you haha.

Also from what I know, yellows stay smaller than greens. Regardless, be sure you are able to afford a very large home and even more so, very large food. They arent going to be eating rat their whole life lol.

Just make darn sure you know what you are getting into. Big stuff like retics, burms and anacondas are not something you buy on an impulse. They all get big and are not going to be easy to rehome if you decide its too big or you get tired of it.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 10-27-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Will a male yellow also need to fees rabbits? Or nust like multiple rats? I dont really like the fact if i have to feed rabbits because i dont know where to get them and theyre just big. I dont know how to explain it.

Well since they get to around 14', yes, they will need bigger food than rats unless you want to feed the thing like 10 jumbo rats per feeding haha. I know guys with burms feed them rabbits and pigs. Heck, my 7' retic could power down a piglet right now if i offered it to him. During the summer, he was eating a 2XL guinea pig every 10 days.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast