Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 740

1 members and 739 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Plants for a Corn's live terrarium

I'm planning to build a live terrarium with plants for my Ghost corn snake, I have ideas of plant types I might want to use though I am curious if any of you have suggestions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcross For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-25-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm keeping Baird's Rat Snakes (same size as a corn snake) in a bioactive planted setup. The only plant that's done reasonably well so far has been the Korean Rock Fern. The other plants I bought as clippings, hoping they would root and vine around the floor of the terrarium. Unfortunately a full grown rat snake killed the crap out of it. I imagine they would have done better if I'd gotten them in little pots instead of as clippings.

So my main advice is the fern, and don't buy anything as a clipping unless you can plant the tank a month or two before the snake is added. I have pothos which is a vine that has grown very well in other terrariums and I'm debating on just adding that because it grows REALLY fast even from a clipping but its a clipping that I did from a house plant so I can plant it immediately which might make the difference. After they sit in the mail they need time to recover.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-25-2017)

Thanks
    oh yeah... you really need to root (in a cup of water or something) a plant, then into a small soil plug, before introducing it to the soil of a terrarium. need to get those roots "rooted" to give it a fighting chance to take hold.

Thank you for the plant suggestions, I can get Pothos just about anywhere... I'll have to look into "Korean rock fern" though, never heard of it...