Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

1 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question keeping humidity

I was not sure if i should ask here or ball python husbandry, but here we go. I know aquariums are bad homes for ball pytons, but it is the most practical for me.(plz no hate). i covered three of the sides so it would not be see through. but i was wondering what are good ways of keeping humidity in a 20 gallon long? thanks for the help

~Phil

Thanks

Re: keeping humidity

I keep one of mine in a 20 gallon long as well. There are lots of tips for humidity, first off do you have foil covering a majority of the top of the lid except for under the lamp and a little on the opposite side for ventallation? If not that will help to keep the humidity in the tank. I like to cut out a piece of cardboard how I want it then wrap that completely in foil so it won't mold and place that on the lid. Its just sturdier.

The substrate you use will effect the humidity as well. The best substrate to keep up humidity is a coco fiber or husk substrate like ecoearth or reptile prime.

Moss will help a lot as well. I like to mix it in with the substrate as well as make a little hedge around all the edges around the tank with it and spray them down directly when you mist the tank. (A nice mister for misting the tank is good too)

Another good method is using dish towels or washcloths. You can place a dish towel over about half of the top of the screen top to help hold in humidity. You can either place it under the foil or do this instead of the foil but along with foil works best. You can also place wet wash cloths on top of the hot hide or both depending on how high you want the humidity. I spray those directly when I mist the tank along with the moss as well and take them out and rewet them every few days. The towel on the lid I rewet everyday but you could probably do every other.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

philip444 (10-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I have a 20 long. I use the cardboard covered in foil. I use reptile prime. Also place damp moss into the corners if needed. I mist every other day.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: keeping humidity

I dont mist ever. I use a cool mist himidifier (modified so a hose conneccts and piped to my bps cage) on a timer that turns it on 7 times a day for 10 mins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Tanks can work just fine if you're willing to put the initial work in! I have my bp in a tank and at first, his humidity was horrible. To rectify this I added moss to his coco husk bedding, covered the screen in foil, put his water bowl over the UTh to increase evaporation, and I occasionally mist his substrate. I also have a damp cloth sitting on top of his screen, under the foil.

Misting can be detrimental as it does sometimes cause spikes and has potential for causing scale rot if your noodle is lying on damp bedding all day. To counteract this, I only spray when he's coming into shed, and I do not spray the substrate in his hides (where hes lying all day). I only spray substrate in the open parts of his enclosure.

All of this together raised my beeps humidity from 30% to a consistent 55%. I'm also considering getting a room humidifier for when he's in shed to get it up a bit more.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to honeybee For This Useful Post:

philip444 (10-27-2017)