Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

3 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Re: Regurgitation - Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    So my question is, should I wait another week and re-introduce a Rat Pup? After speaking w/ someone at PerfectPrey, they thought maybe the regurgitation happened because of the switch from mouse to rat. They also suggested I pick out the smallest Rat Pup in the bag or feed a Rat Fuzzy (which I don't think I can find in any pet stores).
    I would wait two weeks and feed another mouse treated with NutriBAC like you just fed, assuming your BP doesn't regurge again. If the next feeding goes ok I would wait ten days and offer another treated slightly larger mouse. Wait ten days after that and offer the rat fuzzy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

SDA (11-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I would wait two weeks and feed another mouse treated with NutriBAC like you just fed, assuming your BP doesn't regurge again. If the next feeding goes ok I would wait ten days and offer another treated slightly larger mouse. Wait ten days after that and offer the rat fuzzy.
    This sounds like solid advice. Is nutribac like a supplement to aid in building back up gut flora or something?
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I was wondering about the continued use of the NutriBAC because the directions fail to mention how long to use it for.

So I'll continue w/ another small mouse and bump up to maybe a medium/large mouse.

As for the rat fuzzy, since I only have rat pups, is it worth trying to find one online since they are not regularly found in stores?

And is it ok to hold my BP or should I wait until all these steps are finished?
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 11-06-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I mean probiotic supplements in us people are found to be a decent way to maintain healthy digestion so I wonder, is feeding a diet consisting of only frozen/thawed rats limiting the gut flora of a snake? I would love to know about any long term supplementing of this in ball pythons and if there is any benefit. Don't mean to slightly change the post here but I think this question might be a good one to know regurgitation or not.

Edit: just want to add I would assume if you get reptuable f/t rodents you don't have to worry about supplimenting because the rat breeder will feed the rat a nutrient rich diet which will translate to the snake. Just curious about any long term studies on probiotics in snakes outside of using it after a regurg or antibiotics.
    Last edited by SDA; 11-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    NutriBAC is a powdered reptile probiotic. A healthy critter shouldn't need it, but one that has just regurgitated, been subjected to stress due to being shipped, or received antibiotics would benefit from it.

If you can't find a rat fuzzy then weigh the pups and offer the smallest one when the time comes to convert him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-06-2017)

Thanks

I was pleasantly surprised to see Fred weigh has much as he did after several weeks of not eating up until his small mouse. He actually gained weight (although a poop should be coming soon). Never the less, it was still good to see and hold him briefly while I attended to his enclosure. I think it's been close to a month since the last time I held him. Still as docile as ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 11-08-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

SDA (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    ***** Update *****

So I followed all of the wonderful and informative instructions on my BP's regurgitation situation. My BP gladly took all the mice (2 smalls and one large) over a several week period. This was the 1st time he's ever been able to strike and take the meal. Usually I've had to drop the prey and come back the next day. I guess he was extremely hungry from all of the spaced out feedings

Well last night was my 1st attempt at giving him a rat pup (since his regurgitated rat pup experience). I weighed all the pups and found the smallest one (24g). For reference, my BP is approx 250-260 grams but the rat pup still looked large in comparison to my BP's head and neck. I went through the thawing process (overnight in the fridge, bagged and submerged in hot water for almost an hour and a hairdryer to finish off. As soon as the hairdryer was turned on, my BPs head came out of the hide. I presented the prey on tongs and he seemed interested but he never struck. I decided to leave the prey in his cage as I've done successfully in the past. This morning I went downstairs to check on him and he was laying on top of his hide, head cocked w/ the rat pup partially pulled into the entrance of his hide. I wasn't sure what to do because I wasn't sure if he was planning to eat the prey or if it would continue to lay there the rest of the day. I decided to pull it out and risk getting tagged

So what to do now? I still think the initial regurgitation happened because of the change in prey. Should I keep trying w/ the rat pups and if so when should I try next? Or should I continue w/ large mice.

Also one thing to note...this weekend the enclosure was wrapped in a blanket because of the low temps outside. The ambients still remained around 76-77 degrees. Just wanted to point out any changes that may have impacted the feeding.

Please help!!1

Thanks
    Let him wait a week and then offer another rat pup. If you put him back on mice it'll be that much harder to convert him later.

If you have mice you can try scenting the rat pup with one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (12-11-2017)

Thanks

Let him wait a week and then offer another rat pup. If you put him back on mice it'll be that much harder to convert him later.

If you have mice you can try scenting the rat pup with one.

Tried feeding again tonight, thawing the rat pup in the same bag as mouse and rubbing the two together....

As soon as a I turned on the hairdryer, my BP started poking his head out of his hide. I presented the pup and he struck while inside his hide but missed. His head would follow the pup wherever I moved it. I reheated the pup about 5-6 times and each time he seemed interested but never struck. I decided to let the pup in the cage and come back the next morning to see if it's gone.
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 12-17-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Tried feeding again tonight, thawing the rat pup in the same bag as mouse and rubbing the two together....

As soon as a I turned on the hairdryer, my BP started poking his head out of his hide. I presented the pup and he struck while inside his hide but missed. His head would follow the pup wherever I moved it. I reheated the pup about 5-6 times and each time he seemed interested but never struck. I decided to let the pup in the cage and come back the next morning to see if it's gone.
    Well hope things work out .... normally if there's the slightest bit of interest they will take or eventually .... just as I'm about to give up I try again and they take it , sometimes a few minutes break - then the lights down or off and try again and BAM !!

In fact , the only time I give up is if there is no reaction or interest AT ALL then it's usually due to them going into shed or something ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast