Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,707

3 members and 2,704 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Getting a bad feeling

Hey guys.

So I put a deposit down on a snake about three weeks ago. I was torn between two clown hatchlings, and the breeder offered to try to switch them both over to f/t so I could take the better eater, or just choose later if they both switched.

So a week ago he told me they both ate. I asked if I could get another picture or two of the two of them to help decide, along with their hatch dates and a recent weight. It was the second time I had requested the hatch dates and weights.

He responded to my email letting me know that we could possibly ship this week but didn't address my questions about pictures or information. I now haven't heard from him in a week, so emailed asking for those things again last night. I still haven't heard back.

I felt really good about him going into things. I purchased from them before, but I've realized that it was a different person running it when I dealt with them (it was about 5 years ago). So I'm not sure if it's just poor customer service, and he's been really busy or what. I'm starting to get a leery feeling though. I don't know if I should keep waiting indefinately, or at what point I should walk away from my deposit and just look elsewhere....

I don't know if I'm jumping the gun and being a pain in the butt customer or what. I try to be really polite and appreciative in my communications, but I'm sort of at a loss and not sure what my next move should be.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus
    1.1 Cats-Kit and Mia 0.1 Dog-Jersey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I would call.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    The questions you asked were more than reasonable, hatch date and weight should be as simple as looking down at a notepad and copying a few numbers into an email. I would call or email one more time asking for those details and if he still doesn't address them, maybe take your business elsewhere. If a breeder isn't willing to communicate with their customers on such simple things, I don't know if I'd trust them with more important details like feeding, health, and genetics :/
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many breeders are great at what they do breeding and hatching snakes but lack in other area such as communication and customer service, it nothing new.

Not every breeder has a retail, or business background yet all that is really necessary is common sense and treating people the way you would want to be treated.

Holding 2 snakes for one person is a bit strange (unless the person buys both)

If you have a number call or even better text (having things in writing is always better)

You should not walk away from your deposit, deposit are usually not refundable however if the breeder fails to deliver the money should be refunded.

Did you both agree on a specific timeline and when the animal would be paid for and an estimated shipping date?

Give your second email a little more times, wait to see if you get an answer on Monday, Tuesday at the latest, lots of breeder do shows that means being out of town, travelling the distance and than lots of work when getting home, but if you do not hear from him by Tuesday you might want to start to put your foot down.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Getting a bad feeling

Well we had agreed to ship this upcoming Wednesday if another meal was eaten successfully.

When I asked for the pictures last week I said that then I could choose between them asap and pay the remainder owed so we can ship.

He responded to when we could ship but didn't acknowledge any of the other requests.

If I haven't heard anything by tomorrow afternoon I'll call him. I'm just sort of awkward with phone calls. Hopefully he's just been busy and doesn't have the best people skills xD

1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus

Thanks

It was all just me being overly paranoid.

He emailed me today, sent me pics, and gave the last feeding. Turns out the hatch date was on the original add all along and I'm stupid lol.

Balance is paid and shipping arranged. I should be picking him up Thursday!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashleigh91 For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-24-2017)

Thanks

I don't think you were being paranoid or "stupid". Your concerns were valid. Luckily the delays and lack of addressing your questions turned out to have valid reasons, but in your shoes, I would have had exactly the same concerns. Glad it all turned out and excited for you in getting your new snake. :-)