Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

0 members and 3,157 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Mouldy Egg?

Thanks

Mouldy Egg?

Hi, first time breeding and had a clutch of 5 good eggs. Employed a policy of "don't mess with it" when I pulled them though, so they are set in the incubator as I found them. One looks like it's possibly going bad, photo taken just a few moments ago.

https://i.imgur.com/Hvb16KQ.png

They were laid/discovered on the 4th September, so due to hatch roughly next week on the 29th October (55 days from that date).

The eggs have all been candled, including this one and it has plenty of vein action going on. Had someone with a bit more experience than myself look at it the other day (in person) and he said it looked fine (after candling). Just wondering what I could have done to prevent the egg going this way? It's a bit bizarre as it's the only egg to develop this kind of colouration.

This is a photo of the whole clutch on the 2nd of October for comparison: https://i.imgur.com/wJjkVX6.png

Not entirely sure why it's went this way, looks like mould development to my untrained eye possibly caused by dripping off the lid of the box we've got them in (the lid is particularly wet, not going to lie). Expecting it to not hatch at this point but by my Googling it looks like it may so I'm reluctant to chuck it out just yet.

Regards,

- Joppsta

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on the reason for the egg to develop mold, if eggs are dying and start to mold there is nothing that can be done to prevent it, the hatchling is just not meant to be.

If the egg gets mold because it is too wet or water is dripping on it, obviously this is something preventable.

Finally some eggs will get mold even though the egg is not dying and the egg is not too wet, you can't prevent it but you can slow it down and prevent it to spray any further.

That egg to me looks like it's been sweating which would explain the mold.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Joppsta (10-22-2017)

Thanks
    Cheers for the response.

Makes me feel a bit better but if it hatches, it hatches and if not then I'm happy still as long as the other 4 do. I would be happy with just one hatching to be honest with you, considering it's the first clutch I've dealt with myself but then it'll be a case of analysing why it was a 20% hatch rate.

Either way I guess I just have a rather exciting week (or two) ahead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    You'd be surprised what can crawl out of nasty looking eggs. I've had some perfect little snakes hatch from them. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Mouldy Egg?

Try candling it? if it is still viable then treating with mycil foot powder can help and also tilting the box if it is getting wet from drops falling from the lid.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.