Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

3 members and 2,902 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Young Bull rubbing her nose constantly on glass

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Is it just the season for restless Pitts? My Sonoran Gopher female has been restless for the past week. I pulled her out, overhauled the entire viv - full clean, and disinfect, new substrate, new climbing surfaces, and another hide. Checked her heat (hot spot good at low/mid 80'sF), and stabilized the ambient to low 70'sF with an RHP. Still won't settle down. She is due for a feed tomorrow, but all this started right after her last meal.
    Maybe she's thinking it's time to find a place to brumate? The days are getting shorter (try adding light to her enclosure?) & temps. are falling...that's the tip-offs
    for snakes to think about brumating. The other thing to keep in mind is that these are diurnal snakes, so we actually SEE their activity much more than we do for
    the nocturnal snakes we keep. But mostly these active hunters too, not ambush predators. Also, since this is a female, is she a breedable size & age? she may also
    be craving more food to bulk up on (reproductive readiness)....and fall is the "last hurrah" for doing that. You have to think about it from her (instinctive)
    perspective.

It's crazy that there aren't good books about these, they are so under-appreciated! But of course, they're "native", not "exotic" (like BPs etc)???
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-02-2018 at 10:49 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-03-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    As much as I enjoy my others, she is FAR AND AWAY my favorite snake. She is both alert and easy going. I also like her substantial size. Maybe people aren't as interested, because there aren't as many flashy morphs (although the Applegate (?) version of albino is rather intense). While I'll be sticking to just one for the foreseeable future, every time I see a Pine, bull, or gopher for sale, I want want to buy it. Came close twice in the last several weeks.

Can't put my finger on it....there is just something about them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Young Bull rubbing her nose constantly on glass

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    As much as I enjoy my others, she is FAR AND AWAY my favorite snake. She is both alert and easy going. I also like her substantial size. Maybe people aren't as interested, because there aren't as many flashy morphs (although the Applegate (?) version of albino is rather intense). While I'll be sticking to just one for the foreseeable future, every time I see a Pine, bull, or gopher for sale, I want want to buy it. Came close twice in the last several weeks.

Can't put my finger on it....there is just something about them.
    They seem more curious & intelligent to me, that's also why I'm so into various rat snakes*. I care much more about personality than I do fancy colors**, though
    appearance is always a bonus. And while I've taken in & helped many rescues over the years (of all kinds) I get more enjoyment from snakes that have a more
    bold "survivor" persona. *These make better use of vision to hunt by day, I think that accounts for some of the differences in personality; I also notice these kinds
    of snakes "change gears" better than boids. (ie. I can feed them one minute & handle them without bites the next...they have better recognition skills, IMO.)

**I've never owned an Applegate but was sure tempted many years ago when I met him & visited his home to pick up a bunch of hatchlings...but at that point my
    house was full & so was my time. (-so many great snakes, so little time, sigh!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12