Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 485

1 members and 484 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Young Bull rubbing her nose constantly on glass

My yearling Bullsnake has been rubbing her nose on the glass as hard as she can constantly for the past few weeks. Her nose is now pink, and I've tried to heal it with Neosporin, but she keeps rubbing even after that. I'm running out of patience and ideas to get her to stop and I'm becoming worried Any tips or help would be fantastic, thanks!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Re: Young Bull rubbing her nose constantly on glass

What are her temps like? How much and how often are you feeding her? My male was rubbing his nose quite a bit recently and he was refusing food so I'm thinking it was just hormones. Your girl seems a little young for that to be the case.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    What are her temps like? How much and how often are you feeding her? My male was rubbing his nose quite a bit recently and he was refusing food so I'm thinking it was just hormones. Your girl seems a little young for that to be the case.
    Her cooler side is usually 70-75°F and her hot side is around 80-90°F. I'm feeding her once a week, I just fed her a few hours ago in high hopes that she would stop rubbing, but she's continued doing it off and on since then.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I don't let my bulls heat go over 86F. They seem to prefer cooler temps. Every 7 days is a good feeding schedule for a young bull. How much do you feed her weekly? Do you know how much your snake weighs?
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-01-2018),distaff (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    While I agree that "uncomfortable" cage temperatures (ie. too warm) might cause a snake to be restless & want out, you should also know that these kinds of snakes are very active & may just be stubborn about rubbing their noses to escape. Remember that these snakes are active hunters, not passive ambush predators....travel is in their DNA. Larger cages seem to help, as does deeper substrate they can burrow into, & sometimes even more complex "cage furniture" may help. I have kept & raised bull snakes & gopher snakes in the past and I like them a lot. What size cage is yours in? I know how frustrating it is to have a snake rubbing their nose, and it's not harmless...it can lead to infections, besides being not so pretty to look at.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-01-2018),Jasmijn (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    I agree with what’s said in the above response, your snake may just be doing that out of boredom or stress too. Make sure your snake has hiding places to go to to feel safe and if it is boredom you could get a bigger cage with more things for him to do and/or take your snake out more often to hold and hangout with hope this helps and i hope the nose rubbing stops soon!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasmijn For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-01-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is it just the season for restless Pitts? My Sonoran Gopher female has been restless for the past week. I pulled her out, overhauled the entire viv - full clean, and disinfect, new substrate, new climbing surfaces, and another hide. Checked her heat (hot spot good at low/mid 80'sF), and stabilized the ambient to low 70'sF with an RHP. Still won't settle down. She is due for a feed tomorrow, but all this started right after her last meal.
    Last edited by distaff; 11-01-2018 at 08:49 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    ...and while some Pittuophis (spell?) enthusiasts are gathered on this thread:

Can anyone suggest a good care/natural history book on the genus? I can't find anything other than what is apparently an older "description" - sounds like a series of scale counts for each species.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

good care/natural history books on Pituophis

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    ...and while some Pittuophis (spell?) enthusiasts are gathered on this thread:

Can anyone suggest a good care/natural history book on the genus? I can't find anything other than what is apparently an older "description" - sounds like a series of scale counts for each species.
    I don't know of a good single book.

The scale counts book sounds like Olive Griffith Stull's paper from back in the 1940s. It can be downloaded as a pdf file from the web. The link is too long for here, but using the Google seach engine and searching for "Bulletin United States National Museum Smithsonian Institution Stull Pituophis " (minus the quote marks) should find it.

Useful books (may be available by interlibrary loan):
    Comparative ecology of two Colubrid snakes, Masticophis t. taeniatus and Pituophis melanoleucus deserticola, in northern Utah /​ William S. Parker and William S. Brown. Out of print?

SNAKES OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA: Keeping Them Healthy in Captivity - Vol. 1: Eastern Area / John V. Rossi & Roxanne Rossi
    SNAKES OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA: Keeping Them Healthy in Captivity - Vol. 2: Western Area / John V. Rossi & Roxanne Rossi
    These books are rather expensive.

The Northern Pine Snake (Pituophis melanoleucus): Its Life History, Behavior and Conservation / Joanna Burger and Robert T. Zappalorti. Can be downloaded as a pdf file from the web. Do a Google search for "Joanna Burger Robert T. Zappalorti" (minus the quotes). I haven't read this myself (yet). But some of their research papers have taught me a few things.

Handbook of snakes / Wright and Wright. USA and Canada, 2 volumes, IMO one of the two best snake books printed in the 1950s. (The other was Klauber's The Rattlesnakes.) Out of print (AFAIK).

Not recommended:
    Pine snakes: a complete guide / W. P. Mara. I have a copy. IMO, this should be labeled a complete guide not. Somewhat useful if someone can guide the newbie past the mistakes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-02-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you!

Amazon has what looks like the OGS paper in book form, but I wasn't sure it would apply to hobbiests.
    Considering the popularity of this genus, I find it odd that there is so little published.
    I'll check into the Rossi and Rossi volumes, as well as the B & Z pine snake book. Might be something in the used listings.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast