Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

2 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    That's a shame, I wanted to see him grow and you telling everyone how smart and friendly he was.
    I would like a Colubrid, now that I got my Carpet python. I was thinking of a Kingsnake, Rat snake, Bull snake or a False Water Cobra. And the Russin Rat snake always come to mind and is due to the same reasons you mentioned: "the rumored inquisitive/outgoing personality that owners rave about". I guess they are not all like that.

Thanks Red
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Jack the Russian Rat Snake/elaphe schrenckii (progression)

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    That's a shame, I wanted to see him grow and you telling everyone how smart and friendly he was.
    I would like a Colubrid, now that I got my Carpet python. I was thinking of a Kingsnake, Rat snake, Bull snake or a False Water Cobra. And the Russin Rat snake always come to mind and is due to the same reasons you mentioned: "the rumored inquisitive/outgoing personality that owners rave about". I guess they are not all like that.

Thanks Red
    Colubrids are amazing, you have to have one or two in the family!

Yeah, I think keepers will always more or less project what they want to see onto their snake and rave about it, since they love their animals. Some snakes are definitely bold and outgoing from a young age, like my northern pine snake. But some are not, like Jack (though he was already over a year old, so I don't think he'll necessarily be especially bold in his life LOL). I don't think russian rat snakes are necessarily more inquisitive or outgoing than many other colubrid species- the chances of a bold, fun snake could happen over a range of species. But since russian rat snakes are indeed universally docile snakes and are very easy to care for, people are very excited about their pets.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-26-2018 at 08:46 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-26-2018),RickyNY (11-26-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, I'm still planning to get one. I think they are beautiful.
    Exotic Pets LasVegas recently listed an adult for sale, but $200 plus shipping is out of the budget for me right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Well, I'm still planning to get one. I think they are beautiful.
    Exotic Pets LasVegas recently listed an adult for sale, but $200 plus shipping is out of the budget for me right now.
    That's actually an awesome price for an adult! Hatchlings are sold at around $175 plus shipping. I sold yearling Jack for I think $200 plus shipping.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-26-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Every Species has their own special quirks and every single animal still has their own personality.

I can say without a doubt though, that Russian Ratsnakes USUALLY are very much inquisitive and fearless snakes. Very friendly and very personable. No projection on my part whatsoever.
    I belonged to a reptile club back in Savannah and we would regularly get together and we would also have "shows". Not to sell animals, it was for education in conjunction with wildlife parks. While the only colubrids I had were the Russians, I've been around many others. While many were bold, outgoing and not shy, they didn't seem to interact as much. My Russians were usually a hit, esp. Scarlett.

They would watch everything going on. Literally watching it. Moving in the enclosure to get a better view. When I opened their enclosure, they would slither over and come out. Unless they were in shed. I could tell 100 more stories of their rather unusually social behavior but I don't want to start sounding like I'm making up stories. Scarlett DID go on walks with me, staying in the same position while peeking out over the zipper of my hoodie all the way until home. I could also walk around the house doing chores, washing dishes, dusting, and she would keep going around my waist, up my shoulders, around and back down and so on and on. Sometimes settling in the hood of a hoodie. Never seemed to feel the need to "get away". Absolutely fearless and not worried. Such fun and funny snakes.

They were more apprehensive when young, of course, like most snakes are. The older, the more confidence they had.

There are many owners throughout many years of reptile keeping that have noticed their extraordinary social and outgoing behaviors, to the point where that is indeed a trait for that species, but again, each individual is different.

Most BP's are very shy and stay shy. I had 2 back then that were the most chill snakes ever. They went with me to every representation at wildlife parks, schools, and everything. Never missed a meal, didn't hide much, one actually liked to drape on a branch like a GTP. That was funny, because he looked a little funny, being a rather rotund snake. Knowing BP's I know that these 2 were not the way they normally are.

I feel sorry that Jack was a shy one, it would have been nice if you could have experienced what some of the Russian owners are talking about. He will probably gain confidence in time, but it seems like he would have never been a typical Russian Ratsnake.

I still recommend them to people that want a fun and interactive snake. But of course there are other species out there that are as well.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-27-2018),Dianne (11-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Every Species has their own special quirks and every single animal still has their own personality....
    I totally agree with you on this: we can generalize about a species, but individuals still have their own quirks & personalities, so it's very unfair to expect exactly the
    same "sociability" from each one. Some just take more patience & may "get there" eventually, but re-homing is usually a set-back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I totally agree with you on this: we can generalize about a species, but individuals still have their own quirks & personalities, so it's very unfair to expect exactly the
    same "sociability" from each one. Some just take more patience & may "get there" eventually, but re-homing is usually a set-back.
    What do you mean by set-back? He went to a breeder who loves his temperament, and I love the temperaments of my current snakes.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-27-2018 at 02:48 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    What do you mean by set-back? He went to a breeder who loves his temperament.
    I just meant that if he was still shy, a new home is scary, & typically doesn't enhance a snake's courage. Nothing against the person he went to, & all the better if that
    breeder is happy with his temperament.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I just meant that if he was still shy, a new home is scary, & typically doesn't enhance a snake's courage. Nothing against the person he went to, & all the better if that
    breeder is happy with his temperament.
    A snake acclimates to new homes within a few days to a week, provided they are given proper husbandry and temps... They aren't dogs who bond with their previous home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    ...They aren't dogs who bond with their previous home.
    No kidding. That's not what I said either.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast