Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Dumeril's Boa won't eat

Hey there, new to this forum
    I bought my first snake a year ago (corn snake) and he's pretty amazing animal!
    I wanted a larger snake and saw the DB at the local pet store half year ago, brought her and let her settle down at the new home.
    After a month she started to eat live mice and sometimes frozen mice that I left her overnight but seem like she doesn't "enjoy" the food.. for example only after 40-60 mins she strike the mice.
    But suddenly she stop to eat for the past 2 month's, I've tried thawed mice \ rat and live mice \ rat and nothing.
    What can I do? why she stopped eat?

Some details-
    - I don't know her age but something like 8 month's, only 31 inch' long.
    - After few weeks I went back to the store and found out that she didn't eat there as well.
    - Her cage is 40 inch long \ 14 inch wide \ 23 inch height.
    - The warm side of the tank are 90-88f and the cold 75-78f

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Dumeril's Boa won't eat

Dumeril Boas are aggrassiv eaters, they don,t go off food like ball pythons. There must be a reason for that. Is she healthy? Does she have any kind of health problems? If she is healthy, you should ask the store where you bought her from what she usually ate there. I would feed her at this age and size adult live mice. Don,t switch between live and frozen just stick to one of them. Does she spend time at the warm side? If yes then its ok. If no then reduce the temperature to 86-88f. I fed my male Dumeril Live mice until he reached 10 months old and then i switched him to live rats. he eats regulary, never went off food.
    Last edited by Dutti; 10-19-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks

Try dropping the basking to 85-87.

Does she have hides?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Dumeril Boas are aggrassiv eaters, they don,t go off food like ball pythons. There must be a reason for that. Is she healthy? Does she have any kind of health problems? If she is healthy, you should ask the store where you bought her from what she usually ate there. I would feed her at this age and size adult live mice. Don,t switch between live and frozen just stick to one of them. Does she spend time at the warm side? If yes then its ok. If no then reduce the temperature to 86-88f. I fed my male Dumeril Live mice until he reached 10 months old and then i switched him to live rats. he eats regulary, never went off food.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakequeen74 View Post

Does she have hides?

She do have hides both at the warm and the cool sides.
    I think that she healthy everything is normal just refuse to eat, should I take here to the vet?
    At night and early morning I can see that she going to the warm side but most of the day she stay at the cooler side.

Thanks

As long as she is not losing weight, I wouldn't worry. My Dumeril's is an infrequent eater, as well, but is still managing to grow just fine. Continue to offer an appropriately sized prey item every 2 weeks and see how it goes. Also, she may be slowing down feeding for winter. Either way, know that this is a common problem, as Dumeril's are VERY well known to be finicky eaters. I read a breeder's account of a hatchling that took their first meal at 8 months! As long as your temps are good, she has places to hide, and is not losing significant weight, don't worry. 😊

Banned
    Thanks

[QUOTE=doronxl7;2568616]She do have hides both at the warm and the cool sides.
    I think that she healthy everything is normal just refuse to eat, should I take here to the vet?
    At night and early morning I can see that she going to the warm side but most of the day she stay at the cooler side.[/QUOTE]

Reduce the temperature at the warm side to 86-88f to be on the safe side. Dumeril Boas don,t need a temperature higher than that. I would highly recommend to use Aspin. Dumerils like to burrow a lot and she will thank you for that. And as i have suggested try live adult mice. If you say she is healthy then do these changes first and wait to see if she will eat before taking her to the vet. But if she didn,t eat after that then yes take her to the vet.
    Last edited by Dutti; 10-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

The temperature inside the enclosure of my Dumeril Boa is on average 82,5 f. It can increase 2 points or drop 2 points. He has a heat cable covered with tiles, the heat cable remains on 12 hours during the day and the temperature of the tiles reach 86 f hot. During the night off. This is his hot spot. He rarly sets on it. As i mentioned before, he eats regulary never went off food. I moved him yesterday to another room because i am doing some work in the room where his cage is. The temperature in this new room is 86 f and i turned his heat cable off. I was planing to keep him there for a week until i finish the work. Today i brought him a live rat to eat. I had to delay his feeding 2 days because of the work im doing. Despite that, It took him a while to realize that a rat inside his cage which is not normal, usually he will run to the glass and strike the air when he smells a rat even if it was still outside his cage. And when he realized that there is a rat, he struck at it very weak with almost only 20 % of his power. Surely he missed. I am 100% sure if he was in his old room with his normal temperature he would have struck the rat successfully and ate it. The high temperature has weakend him and took away his appetit for food. I moved him immediately to another room that has his normal temperature. I still have the rat, i will feed it to him after tomorrow. If you want your Dumeril to eat, reduce her warm side temperature to 82-84. Its a tempreture issue
    Last edited by Dutti; 10-24-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Young dumeril's tend to be shy and often require hides and/or burrowing opportunity to feel secure to eat, sort of similar to ball pythons.

What does your setup look like? I would provide a thick burrowing substrate, like either aspen or coco chips.

Also yes, like others have said, they are a cooler species and their hot side doesn't need to be that high. 85-87 max.

You don't need to take her to the vet unless you observed clear symptoms that she's sick. Vets can't do anything if there's nothing wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snakequeen74 View Post

Does she have hides?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    As long as she is not losing weight, I wouldn't worry. My Dumeril's is an infrequent eater, as well, but is still managing to grow just fine. Continue to offer an appropriately sized prey item every 2 weeks and see how it goes. Also, she may be slowing down feeding for winter. Either way, know that this is a common problem, as Dumeril's are VERY well known to be finicky eaters. I read a breeder's account of a hatchling that took their first meal at 8 months! As long as your temps are good, she has places to hide, and is not losing significant weight, don't worry. 😊
    Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Young dumeril's tend to be shy and often require hides and/or burrowing opportunity to feel secure to eat, sort of similar to ball pythons.

What does your setup look like? I would provide a thick burrowing substrate, like either aspen or coco chips.

Also yes, like others have said, they are a cooler species and their hot side doesn't need to be that high. 85-87 max.

You don't need to take her to the vet unless you observed clear symptoms that she's sick. Vets can't do anything if there's nothing wrong.
    She finally ate today
    I still can't figure out what happened that she ate, I hope to get to know her better from now on

I gave her today almost adult live black mouse instead of medium rat \ thawed mice (most of the times I tried white mouse, read somewhere some snakes like diff color),
    raised the temp from 84-86 f to 86-87.5 f or even the long period without food break her.
    I hope that everything will be alright from now on

10. The Following User Says Thank You to doronxl7 For This Useful Post:

snakequeen74 (10-29-2017)

Thanks

Congrats! That first feed after a break is always a relief. Hope your good luck rubs off. My little girl’s been fasting for 2 months now as well