Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

3 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Things you wish you knew before getting a ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Maybe get a job and buy your own? (I'm a parent, lol)
    I do have a job actually. On the weekends only though so it dosent take away from my school work. I make enough money to buy the rack myself I just need to have moms approval and consent I also pay for my Beeps food by myself
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 10-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-20-2017),Sunnieskys (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I wish I knew about the different housing options. I researched for 6 mo and never knew there were racks or ap available. I thought racks were only available to breeders.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I wish I had known all that I now now about enclosures, heating, humidity and hides. There are many, many ways to skin a cut, but most of those ways are INEFFICIENT! If I could go back in time, I would never have bought all the crap I bought for my glass tank (wasted hides, heat pads, lights, a crappy Zoomed thermostat, bags of crappy aspen), and instead I would have bought ONE, read ONE very nice pre-made rack with digital thermostat and heat tape, (see vivarium electronics VE-6 model for example) and been DONE, and would have a much nicer setup for probably the same money I spent and wasted TINKERING around trying to perfect my glass tank!

In the end, it was worth it, because I learned SO MUCH from trial and error and research AND I have a really nice display tank now, that I have invested a lot in, and I will probably use it for a more DISPLAY type of snake in the future.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-20-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    150 grams does not mean is it underweight here is a new thing for you to learn, it's not about weight it's about proper body proportion.

Weight vary greatly from one individual to another I have animal that are a year and weight in at 1200 grams some that are 400 grams.

There are many things that affect weight, size out of the egg, how fast fast the animal get stated some may take 2 months (that means other can get that much of a head start, prey size, feeding frequency, skipped meal, fast and most importantly genetics, some animals are predisposed to be BIG.

he doesn't feed his snakes properly. a reptile is not like a mammal and there are not going to be significant health ramifications if an animal is congenitally underfed. the reptile is simply going to be tiny and grow at a much slower rate. you really want to take the position that virtually all of his snakes being 12-14 months old and weighing 150-250 grams is normal or ok?

Price: $550
    Weight: 240g
    Sex: male
    Hatch-Date: 8/13/16
    Morph: Bamboo

Price: $200
    Weight: 172g
    Hatch-Date: 8/31/16
    Morph: Banana

Weight: 165g
    Hatch-Date: 8/21/16
    Morph: Banana

Price: $150
    Weight: 95g ???????????
    Hatch-Date: 1/12/17 ??????????????
    Morph: Black Pastel Woma Pinstripe

Price: $225
    Weight: 375g
    Hatch-Date: 12/16/15
    Morph: Emperor Pinstripe nearly 2 years old and 375 grams

Weight: 420g
    Hatch-Date: 8/15/15
    Morph: Fire Pinstripe Possible Orange Dream 26 months old 420 grams

that is just randomly clicking on snakes on the first page of his for sale. I didn't even have to look for egregious examples and I found some by randomly clicking 5 snakes. so yeah his snakes are undersized 100%. this is an exact mirroring of my experience with purchasing 2 of his snakes. it isn't genetics and it isn't poor feeding response. it's his feeding methodology. he doesn't care about the growth of snakes that he isn't holding back for a future project so he saves himself space and money by keeping them small, feeding them smaller prey items and doing it less often

Last edited by illaoi; 10-20-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    I wish I had avoided glass and gone with a tub system right away. In my geographic region (northern Canada) it is was too hard to keep proper heat in glass.

Btw I use Aspen specifically to dry out my tub a bit because I have to have fewer holes to retain heat, high humidity is the side effect of this. Easy cleanup tip, line the bottom with paper towel and then put a light Aspen layer down. When you go to clean, remove ornaments and roll the Aspen up in the paper towel. Clean up remainder with mini broom and dust pan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zach_este93 For This Useful Post:

dsbarnet (10-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_este93 View Post
    I wish I had avoided glass and gone with a tub system right away. In my geographic region (northern Canada) it is was too hard to keep proper heat in glass.

Btw I use Aspen specifically to dry out my tub a bit because I have to have fewer holes to retain heat, high humidity is the side effect of this. Easy cleanup tip, line the bottom with paper towel and then put a light Aspen layer down. When you go to clean, remove ornaments and roll the Aspen up in the paper towel. Clean up remainder with mini broom and dust pan.
    I'm glad you said the thing about the paper towels under the bedding. I am receiving my first rack on Tuesday and I'm definitely going to have to do this for easier cleaning.
    0.1 Firefly Yellowbelly 2017 (Gaia)
    1.0 Candino 2017 (Ouranos)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234