Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

2 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help, I think my snake is burning herself!??

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Vetericyn is an antiseptic that works well on snakes because unlike Triple or Neosporin it's a water-based gel rather than a petroleum-based ointment. The ointments can cause scales to slough off.
    So should i keep using it until the vet takes a look at her? (I'm still planning on taking her just in case there are other issues I don't know about, but i'm planning on using the link, thank you!))

Thanks

Question I don't think I have the thermostat turned to the right temp?

I got everything set up, and she's fine during the day (curled up in her warm hide), but at night she occasionally makes these kinda-hissing sounds (It sounds like she's sighing) when she goes into her warm hide, or just refuses to go inside her hide and tries to find ways out of her tank instead.

I have the thermostat set to keep her warm side around 87-88 degrees Fahrenheit. It that too cold? (maybe that's why she sighs/hisses at night?...I know they're nocturnal, so maybe this is normal?)

Thanks

Re: I don't think I have the thermostat turned to the right temp?

Quote Originally Posted by MinoBeri View Post
    I got everything set up, and she's fine during the day (curled up in her warm hide), but at night she occasionally makes these kinda-hissing sounds (It sounds like she's sighing) when she goes into her warm hide, or just refuses to go inside her hide and tries to find ways out of her tank instead.

I have the thermostat set to keep her warm side around 87-88 degrees Fahrenheit. It that too cold? (maybe that's why she sighs/hisses at night?...I know they're nocturnal, so maybe this is normal?)
    Normally i'd say that it's a little low but because he's recovering from a burn so you want a slightly lower surface temp. The hissing could be due to pain but hisses don't sound like sighs. Have the vet check for a respiratory infection when you go in.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Agreeing with the others who replied to this post, you need to turn off the heat pad immediately. Heating pads are bad for snakes simply because they are not regulated. Chances are, you snake stayed in that spot because it was so uncomfortable anywhere else in its habitat. Snakes are docile and shy creatures, which means they need a lot of places to hide. Sadly, in your case, your snake would rather burn than risk being left in plain sight. Therefore, your snake will need more hides, branches, plants, and general husbandry equipment (a heat bulb instead of a pad, thermometers, and hygrometers). Husbandry is the most important part of snake care. Without proper husbandry, your snake will die.

All that being said, you need to seek veterinary attention IMMEDIATELY. Your snake is in A LOT of pain.
    0.0.1 Royal Python (Autumn)

~tori~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toriwixom View Post
    Agreeing with the others who replied to this post, you need to turn off the heat pad immediately. Heating pads are bad for snakes simply because they are not regulated. Chances are, you snake stayed in that spot because it was so uncomfortable anywhere else in its habitat. Snakes are docile and shy creatures, which means they need a lot of places to hide. Sadly, in your case, your snake would rather burn than risk being left in plain sight. Therefore, your snake will need more hides, branches, plants, and general husbandry equipment (a heat bulb instead of a pad, thermometers, and hygrometers). Husbandry is the most important part of snake care. Without proper husbandry, your snake will die.

All that being said, you need to seek veterinary attention IMMEDIATELY. Your snake is in A LOT of pain.

I believe she has a thermostat now.
    Last edited by Newbie39; 10-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie39 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (10-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie39 View Post
    I believe she has a thermostat now.
    Awesome! It takes time, but boosting that husbandry will help significantly.
    0.0.1 Royal Python (Autumn)

~tori~

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toriwixom View Post
    Heating pads are bad for snakes simply because they are not regulated.

Any unregulated heat source can be bad for an animal.
    Lack of research is usually the worst problem.....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-25-2017),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Originally Posted by toriwixom
    Heating pads are bad for snakes simply because they are not regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post

Any unregulated heat source can be bad for an animal.
    Lack of research is usually the worst problem.....
    Exactly. Heating pads are great for snakes, on a proper THERMOSTAT, as any other heater should be also.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-25-2017 at 07:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2017)

Thanks

Latest update on Basil's burn

Okay! Sorry for the huge gap. I took her to the vet last Friday, the vet I saw was awesome, and started her on the path to recovery. She had to get some of the burned skin removed, yikes, but she's doing a lot better now that I can put the ointment the vet prescribed right on the effected area (Sulphadiazine cream). She's getting antibiotics and pain medication every two days, and even shed last night.

That being said, most of the burned skin came off in her shed, but the burn is still there. It was deep enough that the vet told me there might be some scarring- feeling horrible for keeping her in such a bad tank, but glad I was able to fix what had been going wrong.

The thermostat and thermometers I got are working like a charm, and she seems a lot happier in her new and improved tank and seems much more relaxed with two hides instead of one

Still getting used to the medication schedule, but I'm so relived that she's starting to recover

bad picture quality, but here's a picture of her freshly shed belly- better, but not perfect- 5 days into her treatments

And a bonus, my parents are on board with helping me to get her a bigger tank and a better setup (Backing, stuff to hide in, more hides, etc.) as soon as she's recovered

Thank you all so much for your feedback!

(also, there's nothing wrong with the end of her tail- there was just some shed skin stuck that came off later)
    Last edited by MinoBeri; 10-31-2017 at 11:45 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MinoBeri For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-01-2017),L.West (11-01-2017),Starscream (10-31-2017),tttaylorrr (10-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

so happy to read this. i'm glad your snake has you AND your parents in her corner! keep us updated on your noodle's recovery. hoping it all goes well.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 10-31-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

MinoBeri (11-01-2017)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast