Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

1 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Opinions on lifting hides

I've seen some people on this forum say lifting a hide off of your snake can be detrimental to the trust and feeling of safety the snake has in its enclosure. I've done this when I know Freya is awake shortly after sun down and see her poking her head out, because I simply do not know any other way to coax her the rest of the way out so I can handle her. I've also lifted her hide when I need to clean, because I have a feeling she has pooped (usually three days after eating), by I always try to speak to announce my presence and see that she has shifted inside her hide.
    I've also seen a post before where a user wrote about how they have been successfully training their ball python to slowly come out of their hide on their own for handling sessions, but this seems difficult and mostly unheard of.
    Anyway, the question I'm trying to ask is, is it okay to lift a hide away from a snake when it is inside of it and does doing this affect their stress levels? Are there alternatives?
    As I said earlier, Freya might have just her head outside of her hide, or even about half her body out (possibly waiting for food) but she is only fully out for maybe an hour or so a day (not exactly sure because I usually only spot glimpses of her being out before I go to sleep).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Well, I do lift hides.

For many reasons. I check to make sure the snake is ok. Or whether there is a mess in there that needs to be cleaned up. Whether the snake is in shed and I need to increase the humidity. When I need to pick them up (the snake).

I find that some snake "scare" when the hide is lifted, esp new snakes that do not know the routine and are still nervous in the new environment. However, in time it seems to bother them less and then not at all.

Just like they learn that they won't get killed and eaten when handled, they learn that nothing of that sort happens when the hide is lifted. I just don't see how I could get away with never lifting a hide? I can't wait until they decide to come out on their own, before I check up on them or do cleaning duty..

Mine are fine with that
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017),L.West (10-19-2017),RickyNY (10-26-2017)

Thanks

It's fine

I wouldn't worry too much about lifting a hide. Sure, it might startle your snake, but sometimes minor inconveniences to your snake are necessary for you, as a keeper, to make sure the snake is being cared for correctly. A lot of people use rack/bin systems without hides at all...what thier entire bin essentially IS thier hide. But still, the keeper needs to open the bin now and then to change water, to feed, to change out substrate, etc. These things are required for proper care, and even though the snake may not love it, we have to do it anyway. And there really are no ill effects.

You said you like to announce your presence in advance. That's a good move, because it lessens the chance of you startling your snake. Keep doing that, and you'll be fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch22 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Opinions on lifting hides

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRoyal View Post
    I've seen some people on this forum say lifting a hide off of your snake can be detrimental to the trust and feeling of safety the snake has in its enclosure
    Way over-exaggerated, whoever said this lol! If that were true, they wouldn't still just stay in their hide when you put the hide back on them. Or they wouldn't immediately return to their hide when the handling session is over.

I lift hides off my bp's all the time as well. Check for poops/urates, make sure they're alright, handling sessions, or just to take some photos. As long as someone isn't doing this like twenty times a day, it is not detrimental to the snake.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017),MissterDog (10-19-2017)

Thanks

I lift hides near daily for multiple reasons (but not 24 hours before or after feeding) and my beeps seem fine with it. Monty got startled once and gave me my Bite mitzvah. He was still new and in the quarentine tank. The stress of lifting a hide is minute compared to the stress of transportating the snake.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Poop checks. Mine likes to poop in the cool hide
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I have started to do all my checks after sun down. She is already at the top waiting to come out or eat. Before I built trust. when she was always in hide I would give it a tap before just lifting so she knew I was there. Now when she hears the clips coming off the tub she comes straight out. Not sure on the health risks if any. Just make sure your snake knows your there first would be my suggestion.

Thanks

As long as your not snatching the hide from over your snake i dont think its an issue i check in on my girl almost everyday or eveyother day just to check for poop urates etc as long as your moving slow and steady and not scarong your snake half to death everytime you lift the hide it shouldn’t be an issue my girl is 3 mo tha old and has been feeding agresively every 4-5 days with no issues

Thanks
    I don't think there is anything to worry about. I lift the hides off my snakes for checkups/cage cleanings/etc. I always lift them off slow and gentle. As for training the snake, I have never heard of this and doubt that it is even possible
    1.0 Normal BP- Jenga
    1.0 Bumblebee BP - Jynx
    1.0 German Shepherd - Sif
    1.1 Mixed Breed Cats - Floyd and Meanie
    1.0 Suriname Red Tail Boa - Bowie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    lifting hides is fine on an established BP. i just warn against it for noob owners with hatchlings and juveniles (or even any new to u BP's) who are overly touchy w/ their cool new pet.

ok u just fed your new baby bp for the first time and u think u should check it's hide to see if it swallowing head first? no, don't do it.

it's 2pm and u think your lil BP might be going into shed and u wanna check it's belly for pinkness? no don't.

my new baby is hiding like 90% of the time, can i check to see if it's ok? be cool. don't bother it.

it's been exactly 48 hours on the dot since my cute lil bp was fed. can i just grab it outta the hide for a long handling session? chill out noob, let it be.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292