Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,393

3 members and 2,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Best way to switch from mice to rats

I got a girl from a small local breeder a couple of weeks ago and she is settling in nicely. I will be offering her food this weekend. I was told that she is a mouse eater and that the guy I got her from tried a few things to get her to switch to rats with no luck. I know some snakes will always be a mouse eater vs rat eater. How long should I try to switch her over to rats? And what is the best way to do so?

thanks!

Thanks
    i've read that scenting works sometimes, just rubbing a mouse to your rats to transfer that scent over that they are use to. how often it would have to be done, im not sure as i haven't had to do it...

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    The sooner the better! The longer they are eating mice, theoretically the harder it is to switch.

Still feed a mouse for its first meal, just to get it eating and acclimated. Then you can defrost a rat and mouse together in the same bag to try first. Make sure the size of the rat is the same or smaller than the mouse.

I ended up going to the pet store and getting a bag of dirtied substrate that was in their mouse enclosure, with poop and lots of mouse scent in it. Then after defrosting and warming the rat, I roll it around in that bag to get the scent all over it.

If he does take the prey then, you might have to do this a few meals before he will take a rat unscented.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-18-2017 at 11:04 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-19-2017),MissterDog (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: Best way to switch from mice to rats

I was just asking about this same topic a couple days ago. Last night was my first attempt at switching from f/t mice to f/t rats. Went through the same preparation techniques (thaw in fridge from morning to 7pm, take out and sit in front of cage until about 10ish and then hit w/ hair dryer). My BP was already out around 10ish which was a nice surprise but he quickly jumped back when he saw me. I presented the rat w/ tongs and he seemed very interested. He struck once and missed (only the 2nd time he's struck since I've had him). I continued to dangle the rat in front of his hide and he continued to examine it and flick his tongue. I was pretty psyched because I felt like he was going to go for it. After 5 -10 minutes of holding it, I decided to let it lay and walk away for the night. And just like every other feeding, it was GONE in the morning. Amazing how great a feeling it is!!!!!! He even poked his head out this morning of his hide as almost to say...."any more?" haha....

Thanks

I have 3 snakes, one was already on rats. The
    other 2 I switched easily, with a tip I learned
    here. Wait til after they shed. They are both
    more aggressive feeders on rats. Good luck,
    hope this helps.

Thanks

Carpets in particular are difficult little buggers to switch from mice to rats....and occasionally some adults will ONLY eat mice and absolutely REFUSE to touch rats.

Scenting with a mouse works well usually.

Otherwise I have heard of people taking small down chicken feathers and stuffing a couple in the mouth of the thawed rat before.....Weird, but I guess it's supposed to work and trigger a feeding response.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-19-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

One other thing to consider in switching from mice to rats is as red says with scenting. However the other step in attempting to transition is the benefits of pre killed rats prior to going to the frozen thawed. Kind of like taking the stepping stone approach but only if really needed. Some pythons will switch easily and some will have you tested to the limit. Good luck and be patient with tough love for the tough ones.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.