Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

2 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Shopping List for Ball Python

I have decided that the next time I go to a reptile show and find a ball python that I like, I'm bringing it home. I won't repeat the same mistake of finding a wonderful snake but not getting it due to not having anything set up. To help me keep track and I'm more than willing to take suggestion, I figured I would post my shopping list.

-tub *done* I bought a 16 qt/15 L sterilite. I figured the size was a good for a baby bp and can grow into it.
    -Heating
    https://beanfarm.com/products/ultrat...nt=24905300361
    -thermostate (One day I will get a herpstat but they are a little pricey)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S...d=8EJI058T91TX
    -thermometer
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BO8CUE...d=8EJI058T91TX
    -heat gun
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GWBBIGK9&psc=1
    -hides x2
    -substrate (I heard reptile prime was a good substrate but I'm still doing some research
    -water bowel
    -reptile safe water thing
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    -prongs
    -plastic foliage for tub
    -rats (will most likely buy some at the show but what's a good online place?)
    -SNAKE!!!

i'm also super pleased to find that there is a reptile vet close to me and my apartment is fine with snakes. 2 of the biggest hurdles.
    Last edited by madhatter18; 10-18-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks

Re: Shopping List for Ball Python

This list is a good start. I would recommend going ahead and getting all of your equipment before you get your snake. That way you can get it all set up, run it hot, adjust your temps, monitor your humidity, learn the ins and outs of your thermostat, etc, before having to worry about actually having a live animal in the enclosure. You'll be happy you did. If you wait until you have the snake, you'll be rushed to figure it all out, and you (and your snake) work both be stressed out over the adjustments and tweaks that will need to be made... And there WILL be adjustments and tweaks to be made.

Also, I noticed that you put rats on your list. (You also mentioned getting a baby BP, so maybe mice instead of rats). You didn't specify live or frozen, but if you're planning on live, be sure you have storage for those ready also (including food, water bottles, etc). If you're planning on frozen, be sure you read up on proper thawing. I like your heat gun; I own the same one. It can be useful when checking temps during thawing, but do not rely on it completely, as it will only measure the surface of your rodent, and the center being thawed correctly is paramount.

In general, it sounds like you've got a pretty complete shopping list, and I commend you for doing the research in advance. But again, I strongly urge you to go ahead and get the enclosure set up and warm, and run it for a few days before you get your snake.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thanks

No fear! I fully plan in having everything set up a week or 2 in advanced before I bring home a snake. Hopefully that will give me plenty of time to get everything to close to perfect. I guess I should of said I was buying frozen rats. It's not really possible to keep live in my apartment.

I plan to make a tub progress thread when I start to put it together incase anyone is interested

Thanks
    One thing to think about with frozen is keeping them in the freezer, will you be keeping them in your food freezer? if so, you'll need to get a box or something to keep them separate from your food If you or roommates/family don't like the idea of you keeping rats in the freezer you'll need to look at a smaller freezer to keep them in.

Good luck with getting your baby set up!
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Don't over look reptile basics they have great products and excellent prices

For example

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

Other than that looks like you are off to a good start. Just remember that when using the temp gun it is mandatory to say "pew pew"
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I've been thinking about the storing issue. Thankfully I live on my own and my roommate is a 13 year old cat so no worry there. I would like to store them in their own mini freezer but that is just not possible right now so they get to sit next to my food. I'll probably put them in bag and put a kitchen towel over them so no one freaks out if they open the freezer.

SDA
    Don't over look reptile basics they have great products and excellent prices

For example

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

Other than that looks like you are off to a good start. Just remember that when using the temp gun it is mandatory to say "pew pew"
    I'll check them out. I'm always looking for the better price. Hehe, my poor snake will think I'm insane when I use the temp gun.

Thanks
    a misting/spray water bottle is crucial too!

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks good! Just make sure your ambient temps are okay I probably should've gone with a tub for Dean cause humidity is horrid in his tank. Cant wait to get him in a PVC enclosure
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 10-19-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

I would listen to the advice of setting everything up first before getting the snake. I didn't do this and my first month was hell. I wanted a specific snake I had handled so I was in a rush so I could get her before someone else. All in all, I am happy I got her, but I wish I had done some set-up first. I went with glass at first and had issues with overheating, under heating, over humidity, under humidity (to the point I was misting every 2hrs and still had dust clouds) and then I totally scrapped the glass, set up a tub, and "transplanted" my snake. In the tub she has thrived so well with very little maintenance outside of the normal cage cleaning and water.

Thanks

Def. set everything up before hand. I think rats are fine over mice. As long as you buy the right sizes. I got the first three sizes at the my local show. Pinkies and fuzzy rats will be good depending on the size. fuzzy will last up to 200g. There is a food chart on here to go by. Not sure how to grab it. Google ball python food chart will come up. Gives you both mice and rat sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast