Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,530

2 members and 2,528 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Boa Questions

Thanks

Boa Questions

Hi! So I have a BP and I used to help my older sister with her snakes and after some thinking I've decided I want another snake. I want something bigger than a BP and a bit more active. A retic would be too big of a jump from a BP and someone recommended a common boa!

Now it will be a while before I actually get another snake, but until then I want to get as much info as possible. I was recommended a BCI and when I look up BCI snakes on google, I find this
    But I also find other pics where the white ends up a brown color, so is this white and red not really a BCI, or is it a morph?

I looked up a care sheet for BCIs and this is what I found http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/823.html is this a trustworthy sheet? I noticed it doesn't specifically say what size home would be good, so what size home do you guys use for your adult BCIs? and I would love a link to a good place to buy such an enclosure (I know starting off in a smaller enclosure for a baby is necessary, but I'd like to at least have in mind what I'll need for when he/she is an adult).

Any tips on keeping a boa is appreciated. I have a lot of time before I will actually be getting my snake but I want to be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    That photo is a Bc (BCc) or 'true red tail boa' not a Bi (BCi) 'common red tail boa'

Yellow coloration comes in over time with boas. Baby boas are born looking whitish grey colors. As the grow the grey fades and the yellow starts to show turning them brown/tan.

The caresheet you linked does say a good cage size for adults, 4x2 which is what I use for the majority of my adult boas. Nothing wrong with going bigger if you end up with an 8'+ adult. Most adults get about 6'.
    You can look at Animal Plastics, Boaphile, Proline Caging, etc for good 4x2 cages. I use and have used all of those, I also have a freedom breeder rack for my largest boas.

Boas do best when fed slowly, they do not need to be fed weekly like BPs do, especially when they reach adulthood.
    I would suggest reading as much as possible, review caresheets and maybe pick up a boa constrictor manual or another good boa keeping book.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Boas are wonderful snakes.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Boa Questions

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    That photo is a Bc (BCc) or 'true red tail boa' not a Bi (BCi) 'common red tail boa'

Yellow coloration comes in over time with boas. Baby boas are born looking whitish grey colors. As the grow the grey fades and the yellow starts to show turning them brown/tan.

The caresheet you linked does say a good cage size for adults, 4x2 which is what I use for the majority of my adult boas. Nothing wrong with going bigger if you end up with an 8'+ adult. Most adults get about 6'.
    You can look at Animal Plastics, Boaphile, Proline Caging, etc for good 4x2 cages. I use and have used all of those, I also have a freedom breeder rack for my largest boas.

Boas do best when fed slowly, they do not need to be fed weekly like BPs do, especially when they reach adulthood.
    I would suggest reading as much as possible, review caresheets and maybe pick up a boa constrictor manual or another good boa keeping book.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Boas are wonderful snakes.
    My main questions right now are if a day/night cycle for heating is needed, and do they need light, or can they work with a heat mat alone like BPs?

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post
    My main questions right now are if a day/night cycle for heating is needed,
    No, not necessary

and do they need light,
    No, not necessary (same as with any snake)

or can they work with a heat mat alone like BPs?
    Depends on the caging and set up. I have a snake room where I can keep the ambient temps up and then I use heat mats or flexwat heat tape to provide a warm spot.
    If you have low ambient temps in the room, you'll probably need multiple heat sources (lighting or a radiant heat panel) to increase ambient and then another to provide the temp gradient.
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

OneEyedFox (10-19-2017)

Thanks

No, not necessary

Depends on the caging and set up. I have a snake room where I can keep the ambient temps up and then I use heat mats or flexwat heat tape to provide a warm spot.
    If you have low ambient temps in the room, you'll probably need multiple heat sources (lighting or a radiant heat panel) to increase ambient and then another to provide the temp gradient.
    So similar to the way I keep my BP, I have a heat mat under the tank for belly warmth and a warm spot, and a lamp to keep ambient up. Though I plan on getting a PVC for my future Boa when it's an adult and I'll likely be using RHPs

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”

Thanks

No, not necessary

So this is what I have so far on a BCC hopefully you can see this picture well enough to see what I have written down (and you can read my crappy hand writing lol), if you can't I can type it. I am aware that I will need a smaller enclosure for a baby and the enclosures will get bigger as the snake grows but my main concern was adult housing. Up until then I will likely use ExoTerras (with mat and lamp for heating) until I move up to a PVC and then I'll use flex watt or RHP (with a heat bulb if needed).

Only question I'm left with now is prey size. I follow the BP feeding chart that circulates this site for my Calliope, but is there a similar feeding chart like that for Boas, or will I just have to go by the thickest part of the snakes body?
    Please let me know if anything here is incorrect.

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”

Thanks

The only thing I would disagree on from your list is the 3ft of vertical height for your cage.

Many boa owners maintain their animals in 4x2x1 cages.....the additional vertical height is nice, but at the same time makes heating more difficult and I don't (personally) find it necessary. Animal plastics T8's are awesome enclosures for Boas but there are plenty of good manufacturers.

Substrate is a matter of preference and need.....but in a pvc cage, the additional humidity given from coconut fiber would send my humidity levels TOO high actually. I use newspaper or indented kraft paper (available on Amazon or ULINE).

For the record:
    This is considered the BIBLE of boa keeping btw.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Boa-...oa+constrictor

I've read mine numerous times, and I definitely recommend it if you can afford it.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-19-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    The only thing I would disagree on from your list is the 3ft of vertical height for your cage.

Many boa owners maintain their animals in 4x2x1 cages.....the additional vertical height is nice, but at the same time makes heating more difficult and I don't (personally) find it necessary. Animal plastics T8's are awesome enclosures for Boas but there are plenty of good manufacturers.

Substrate is a matter of preference and need.....but in a pvc cage, the additional humidity given from coconut fiber would send my humidity levels TOO high actually. I use newspaper or indented kraft paper (available on Amazon or ULINE).

For the record:
    This is considered the BIBLE of boa keeping btw.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Boa-...oa+constrictor

I've read mine numerous times, and I definitely recommend it if you can afford it.
    Ah yeah, I can't afford that rn, but would that size enclosure be good for an adult? The only thing I'm kinda scared about is how to get heating on the big tanks. I've heard flex watt or RHP, and a light if it's needed, I need a tutorial or something on how to set it up lol. I know it'll be a while before I need something that big but I like knowing in advance.

As for substrate, are there any other substrates (besides paper towels and newspaper) I could use that won't trap as much humidity? I'll use newspaper or paper towel if it's needed but I do like creating natural looking tanks with substrate like coconut fiber and (fake) plants and stuff of the like but I know that's more for me than them since they can live in simple setups so I don't need all of that.

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”