Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

2 members and 2,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    My boas will sit in the 'S' a lot, usually when they think dinner is coming or or they are wondering whats going on. Never been bit by them being in it. Here's Gina doing her little 'S' when she i tried to pose her for pics lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (11-10-2017)

Thanks

Re: Agressive big boa in a bad condition

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It's not personal. They strike at scent, heat, and movement.

This is a pretty good video of how to handle defensive snakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjlg1njtfY

Also something I've found with mine is not to let yourself be backlit. Watch your shadow - if it lands on the snake it will instinctively consider that a threat from a predator.
    It indeed is a good video, but I don't see him handeling bigger snakes..when you're holding snake this light its easy to control its movements than with a 13pounds + boa. Was handeling a few defensive green pythons which was also easy cause they are light.
    Will try that with turning dough. Gotta keep an eye on the shadow also..well that's just great

Thank you

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Agressive big boa in a bad condition

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    My boas will sit in the 'S' a lot, usually when they think dinner is coming or or they are wondering whats going on. Never been bit by them being in it. Here's Gina doing her little 'S' when she i tried to pose her for pics lol.
    She is so pretty, beautiful colour and not scary looking at all.
    This male boa when trying to pick him up goes straight to my hand, I haven't seen that in any video and don't know for sure, but looks like he wants to strike or is atleast freaked out of who is touching him. He is fine when I just touch him a bit..but picking up gets him moving towards me... How to get him out than, if his head is focused on the part that holds him even when he is out of the enclosure? A hook, yes but still

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well my big girl is 13 lbs and about 6.5'. She does look at my hand when i pick her up but I've also had her for 5 years so i know she wont bite me. My 7' retic does the same when i'm petting him. He even will put his head on my arm or lay next to my hand. I've had him just over a year and he has never tried to bite me. Actually pretty much all my snakes look at my hand when i touch them with it. I think they are just seeing who/what it is touching them. once they see/smell its my hand they either turn and go the other way if they dont want to come out or they come forward towards me if they want to come out. Personally I think if you worry about getting bit too much, you WILL get bit. Just got to go for it and pick them up. From what i have noticed with my snakes over the years is that if i seem nervous with them, especially the new snakes, they seem to be nervous too. When i got Caesar my retic, i was kind of scared to get bit and i could really tell that made him nervous too as he was kind of leary about getting close to me. But now after over a year, i just reach in and pet him and he just comes out and greets me at the door and sits on my arm or lays down under my arm while i pet him. But he is a lush and a total attention hog lol. My advice is just go for it and show the snake who is boss!! Worst case you get bit and honestly it doesnt really hurt too much. My almost 6' sunglow bit me when my hand smelled like a rat. It bled a lot and left a nice bruise but that was it.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-10-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (11-20-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234