Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

1 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Agressive big boa in a bad condition

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Seems no one mentioned it but I hope you have that heat tape on a t-stat. Set it to around 88-90F and I would at least offer the snake a hide to feel comfortable in. Even my 6'+ girl uses a hide sometimes when shedding or when she just wants privacy. Feeling secure will go a long ways with a boa as all of mine are complete loungers except my BCL who are just extra shy by nature and take longer to settle in than BCIs. But even now he is pretty laid back for the most part.

Give him a hide like I said and let him shed and relax and he will most likely come around. You can snake hook train if you want but I haven't use a hook for any of my boas ever and then one time I tried a hook on my retic as a baby, he got pissed and opened his mouth and hissed at it. Now I just slide a door open and in about 30 secs, he realizes no food and is curious to hang out with me lol.
    Thanks!
    Its on t-stat yes. Will try with open enclosure so he can come out alone and i will try to lift him up.... I would like him to eat first and than try this few days later

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pitonica For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-24-2017)

Thanks

Any updates on this guy? Glad he's in a better place with someone to take care of him!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus
    1.1 Cats-Kit and Mia 0.1 Dog-Jersey

Thanks

Hi. Maybe after this reply you wish you haven't asked
    Positive thing -He hasn't hissed at me since that day. Acts calm and sweet. Definitely better than before. Lets me change his water often, and his poop with no signs of possible defence. He had his first shed here and tip of his poor tail didn't shed as I see a tip missing on his old skin. He doesn't let me touch his tail so im keeping the humidity on the higher end and spray the tail with water. wish to handle him to see his reactions and to stretch him out of the cage, but nobody can/wants to help me or get me the long protective gloves or smthin to do so.
    Everyone is afraid of him so it's on me. I can concuer fear of being bitten but I can't fake being experienced cause with boas im not and don't want to act a smartass and get really hurt.
    I wish they got a smaller boa for start but its not up to me. They see me handeling defensive snakes and lizards, making them thame so why not a heavy Boa...
    anyway,
    To explain for ones that may want to point out of why getting him in a first place- he is not my animal, I take care of him as my job is to take care of lots of reptiles from someones personal collection. I Train,look after them, feed and clean them.
    So im here to help. Not pointing fingers or blame anyone cause that will not help the animal.
    Im worried about him.
    He has some reddish smudges on his face I noticed later that day and it seems it got worse or im imagening it. Doesn't look normal, right? He eats regullary. Takes him ages but he eats.
    I've read neosporin could be used for injures? If yes for this type of thing, it will be a quest to put the cream on his head.
    So, sorry for the long post,
    is there something I can do?
    Hope you guys can see his reddish face on this pic below.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    The reddish color might just be blushing. My normal girl has the same thing. Here is a pic of her and you can see it to see if it is the same thing you are talking about.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-08-2017),Pitonica (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    The reddish color might just be blushing. My normal girl has the same thing. Here is a pic of her and you can see it to see if it is the same thing you are talking about.
    Yes, kind of looks the same. Huh, thats good. On some parts it's more red, managed to get another pic, the reddish scales closer to his neck..
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Great book to get is
    The Complete Boa Constrictor. by Vin Russo. Grats!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

KevinK (11-08-2017),Pitonica (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Great book to get is
    The Complete Boa Constrictor. by Vin Russo. Grats!
    +1

I own it and love it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pitonica View Post
    He had his first shed here and tip of his poor tail didn't shed as I see a tip missing on his old skin. He doesn't let me touch his tail so im keeping the humidity on the higher end and spray the tail with water. wish to handle him to see his reactions and to stretch him out of the cage,

He has some reddish smudges on his face I noticed later that day and it seems it got worse or im imagening it. Doesn't look normal, right? He eats regullary. Takes him ages but he eats.
    I've read neosporin could be used for injures? If yes for this type of thing, it will be a quest to put the cream on his head.
    So, sorry for the long post,
    is there something I can do?
    Hope you guys can see his reddish face on this pic below.

If you're having trouble with him shedding.....get him off of the aspen you're using and onto either a coconut fiber or cypress mulch substrate of some form. If he's shedding in pieces, that's a sign of low humidity and I guarantee aspen is not helping you. Furthermore, aspen molds FAST when exposed to spraying. There are many boa keepers who use aspen, but to maintain proper humidity levels with it for a boa, you either need a PVC/rack enclosure that holds humidity better than a tank.

I agree with Sauzo, I don't think that's an injury of any kind I think it's the natural coloration on his face.
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-08-2017 at 08:33 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    If you're having trouble with him shedding.....get him off of the aspen you're using and onto either a coconut fiber or cypress mulch substrate of some form. If he's shedding in pieces, that's a sign of low humidity and I guarantee aspen is not helping you. Furthermore, aspen molds FAST when exposed to spraying. There are many boa keepers who use aspen, but to maintain proper humidity levels with it for a boa, you either need a PVC/rack enclosure that holds humidity better than a tank.

I agree with Sauzo, I don't think that's an injury of any kind I think it's the natural coloration on his face.
    I disagree about the aspen. I mist my aspen once a week and it never molds. It will mold if you leave waste on it but pretty much anything will grow 'fur' on it left on any substrate. I've seen mold grow on Reptichips and Eco Earth. I've used Eco Earth, Reptichips and aspen and honestly, my favorite is still aspen. Easy to spot clean, soaks up liquid well, packs down good, allows the snakes to dig around in it still and easy to spot pisses or poops. Used to be really cheap to use too but since my local source has dried up, it now costs me quite a bit more for 10 24 qt bags of the Zoo Med stuff. I never have issues keeping humidity with it. It's actually easier to work with than Reptichips as with that stuff, i had so much humidity for about a week after changing it, that i had condensation dripping off the cage walls and roof.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Is he being fed live? Almost looks like a bite or something, plus his neck is a bit swollen which made me think either injury or RI. Maybe it's just looser skin and he's sitting funny, hard to say without seeing it. Has a vet seen him? Might need a culture run.
    Tail tip not shedding is somewhat common coming from a bad humidity situation, heavy misting on it like you are doing is a good thing. If it doesn't come off in the next shed, you'll need to intervene and soak or damp towel sauna and get it off for him otherwise the old shed can constrict the tissue at the end of the tail and cause the loss of the tip plus possible infection.
    Dealing with a larger snake can be intimidating, especially if you haven't done it before. Luckily he sounds pretty calm so far. Try using a shield, like the top of a rubbermaid tub, use one hand to hold the shield between his face/neck and the rest of his body and use your other arm (or a helper) to lift his mid section out, lift from the bottom/belly. He'll probably scoot forward, sometimes it's like grasping a giant slinky. Just be calm and sure of your motions, don't grasp or hold tight. A hook can be used instead of a 'shield' or even a roll of papertowels! I simply mentioned a shield since it can make you feel quite secure he won't be able to whip back and bite you. That is what I do with overprotective momma snakes that just had a litter.

Good luck with him! Keep up the good work!
    For the Horde!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast