Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

4 members and 3,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Question

Thanks

Question Question

What would happen if i handle my snake be4 the first week ends???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Question

he might not eat when you first offer him food, but dont worry i got a hatchling ball and i handled it every day for the first couple of weeks that i had it(i was a novice and didnt know i wasnt supposed too) and she has never missed a feed. im not saying do that because not all BP's are as relaxed as she is and will be too stressed.
    -marshall

Thanks

For the health and well being of the snake it is best to allow one week before handling, especially babies. You may not notice any problems right off, but you'll have them. We've all been there, and I know how killer it can be but it's really for the best. We don't say it just to torture you - I swear!! After all one week isnt' that long and you'll have tons of time to get acquainted after your settling period. Good luck holding out.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Let your new snake settle in and establish a good feeding routine first before handling (I know it's really hard not to handle coz you really, really want to). Once he/she's eating for a few feeds, handle for short periods, maybe 15 minutes once a week and gradually build up. I don't handle any of my snakes for 2-3 days after they've eaten and I don't handle them while they're in shed, except to change soiled substrate and even then I don't like handling them but equally don't want them lying in their own waste (yuk).

Byron my BP doesn't like being disturbed when he's in shed and it's the only time he'll hiss at me. As soon as he's shed, he's doing acrobatics round the viv lock - let's me know he's OK again and wants to come out and play

With BPs feeding is all-important. I feed my BPs (and my other snakes) every Sunday evening. I feed Byron in his viv. He knows the difference between feeding day and playtime days and he has never tagged me on playtime days

Thanks

The snake just came out of what a pet store or breeder or whatever so it's going to be stressed from that, let alone how long it's been wherever it was, then to your house and so forth. If you leave the snake alone, follow the advice here given in many threads about settling a new snake in (it works), and have a little patience, you'll probably have a much better pet in the end. You want a snake that you can get feeding well and will allow you to handle it with the minimum of fuss, so please let it settle in.

One quick note considering you very recently had a snake die. I hope if this new snake went into the old ones enclosure you very thoroughly disinfected everything. I'd hate to see your new snake pick anything up.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

now this may sound a little harsh--but seriously, leave your snake ALONE! one week is the absolute minimum. it's best not to handle at all until the snake has 3 or 4 successfull feeds behind it. you just lost one, do you want to lose another? do you want to have a problem feeder? do you want your new snake to be so stressed that it starves itself or becomes ill? i don't care how much you WANT to handle your new snake. it's not about YOU it's about the SNAKE. make the right choice and give this little guy and chance.
    - Emily