Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 728

3 members and 725 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Feedback on Prehistoric Pets

Has anyone done business with Prehistoric Pets out of fountain valley ca recently? Where you happy with what you got? Looking too buy from them soon...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I wouldn't, if you're just looking to buy a ball python. There are a ton more reputable and reliable breeders with healthy animals to choose from out there. When I visited their store, the majority of their snakes in the public area of the store were in poor setups or clearly sick. Also, very overpriced.

The only thing worth buying from them are live feeders or equipment, and even those are overpriced.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-18-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks

Re: Feedback on Prehistoric Pets

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I wouldn't, if you're just looking to buy a ball python. There are a ton more reputable and reliable breeders with healthy animals to choose from out there. When I visited their store, the majority of their snakes in the public area of the store were in poor setups or clearly sick. Also, very overpriced.

The only thing worth buying from them are live feeders or equipment, and even those are overpriced.
    Was looking to buy a dwarf retic from them

Last edited by robert7107; 10-18-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Are you going to buy a plain dwarf retic or is it mixed with a mainland retic? I've been getting into the dwarf / super dwarf retic project. This is my first year pairing up, my female almost weighs 30 pounds! Should get a good number of eggs from that project. All will be a mix of super dwarf / dwarf and mainland, all will be lavender albinos (crossing a purple albino with a white albino). I'm actually looking into getting another male super dwarf with some other genes in there, but the only way to do that is to cross it with mainland blood. Prehistoric pets are big into retics, probably one of the best places to get one. I love to watch his videos on YouTube, he cracks me up!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 10-18-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Personally i have heard mixed reviews about Prehistoric Pets. My biggest gripe would be that the biggest turn off to me is Jay doesnt keep precise percents of his mixed stuff. So if you are looking for something like a SD or dwarf in which you are going to want a higher percent, you might not know. There is also Bob Clark but again, I have heard the same gripes of not keeping precise percents when it comes to SD stuff.

Personally, my vote goes to Kris over at Vital Exotics as he kept very precise records but he isnt doing retics atm. My other choices would be Shannon Roepke who does lots of SD stuff and keeps very good records too or Daniel Solis. Also you can join Super Dwarf Breeders on FB.

Bottom line is if you are looking for anything other than a mainland, it will pay to do your homework. I got Caesar from Kris at Vital Exotics and if i didnt get him, i was looking to pick up a 50% SD Platinum Tiger from Shannon Roekpe.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Are you going to buy a plain dwarf retic or is it mixed with a mainland retic? I've been getting into the dwarf / super dwarf retic project. This is my first year pairing up, my female almost weighs 30 pounds! Should get a good number of eggs from that project. All will be a mix of super dwarf / dwarf and mainland, all will be lavender albinos (crossing a purple albino with a white albino). I'm actually looking into getting another male super dwarf with some other genes in there, but the only way to do that is to cross it with mainland blood. Prehistoric pets are big into retics, probably one of the best places to get one. I love to watch his videos on YouTube, he cracks me up!
    It's supposed to be 50% dwarf (jampea) and it's a normal pattern male... I'm looking for just a pet right now I have BP's and my daughter likes them but fell in love with the retics at the Sacramento reptile show this year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Personally i have heard mixed reviews about Prehistoric Pets. My biggest gripe would be that the biggest turn off to me is Jay doesnt keep precise percents of his mixed stuff. So if you are looking for something like a SD or dwarf in which you are going to want a higher percent, you might not know. There is also Bob Clark but again, I have heard the same gripes of not keeping precise percents when it comes to SD stuff.

Personally, my vote goes to Kris over at Vital Exotics as he kept very precise records but he isnt doing retics atm. My other choices would be Shannon Roepke who does lots of SD stuff and keeps very good records too or Daniel Solis. Also you can join Super Dwarf Breeders on FB.

Bottom line is if you are looking for anything other than a mainland, it will pay to do your homework. I got Caesar from Kris at Vital Exotics and if i didnt get him, i was looking to pick up a 50% SD Platinum Tiger from Shannon Roekpe.
    Been looking for awhile all I have come across is morphed pattern dwarf an SD I'm not wanting to pay $$$ on a pet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Personally, my vote goes to Kris over at Vital Exotics as he kept very precise records but he isnt doing retics atm.

+1 This.

If you can, keep an eye open for the next time he gets into them. He's a Wisconsin boy as well....and he's worked for Bob Clark.

I'm not a person that wants to get online and talk about a business where they don't have the chance to defend themselves, however, Prehistoric Pets does not seem to have a stellar reputation in terms of animal husbandry to say the least from what I've heard from many people over the years.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    +1 This.

If you can, keep an eye open for the next time he gets into them. He's a Wisconsin boy as well....and he's worked for Bob Clark.

I'm not a person that wants to get online and talk about a business where they don't have the chance to defend themselves, however, Prehistoric Pets does not seem to have a stellar reputation in terms of animal husbandry to say the least from what I've heard from many people over the years.
    I'll just have to do more searching maybe call Breeders an see if they have non list inventory..
    As for prehistoric Pets I see their videos on YouTube all the time they seem knowledgeable, Friendly and passionate about their animals. When I looked them for their location on Google they had reviews and only received 3.0 out of 5.0.

Back in 2001 I had a horrible experience with a local breeder/shop where I bought animals from too add to my collection an ended up getting animals with respiratory issues and one had mites infesting my entire collection took me several months an many $ later to recover so places like prehistoric Pets where there more then just a breeder I'm over cautious so that why I posted this thread ...if only this forum exsisted back in 2001.......

Last edited by robert7107; 10-18-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks

Buying from Bob Clark next week.. he has a male 50% dwarf fire it's more then prehistoric Pets but worth it less stress on me ....