Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,238

1 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help with my Red Tail Boa Enclosure

Hello all! I am a new Red Tail Boa owner. I have a 5 foot adult female set up in a 4 foot enclosure. I have an under tank heating pad but it doesnt' seem to heat up the ambient temperature much at all. It actually barely seems to warm the substrate. The tank has a built in fixture for a heat bulb, however there is nothing around it to protect the snake from touching and burning herself on the bulb. Does anyone know a fix for this? I'm also having a problem with humidity. I spray the tank a few times a day, but the moisture seems to dissipate pretty quickly. The tank has a screen lid however I covered about 75% of it with a heavy fabric. I also put out a few clumps of misted sphagnum moss in the cage but perhaps I need more. Is a fogger recommended? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    UTH isn't going to raise the ambient temps at all. You should consider a radiant heat panel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

L.West (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    You need a proper melamine or PVC reptile enclosure not a tank for a snake like that, open-top mesh lets out all the humidity and your snake will use it like a cheese grater on its nose. Look for something at least 4' wide by 30" deep by 18" tall, made by Boamaster, Animal Plastics, Herptastic, NW Constrictors, etc.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-17-2017 at 10:30 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Oh wow I didn't read that well enough. I didn't realize it was a tank. Sorry for that bad advice.

Thanks

Re: Help with my Red Tail Boa Enclosure

Sorry for not being more detailed! Yes, the person who sold me the snake included the tank which she had been keeping her in. Luckily she is not a pusher and does not seem to rub on or mess with the screen top at all. I would like to upgrade to a better enclosure eventually but can't afford it just yet. Are there any other options to boost the temperature and humidity in the meantime? I bought a 100 watt heat bulb but got nervous to put it inside without any sort of surrounding to it in fear of the snake burning herself on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    You definitely don't want any sort of bulb or CHE inside of the enclosure, not only can it burn your snake but it could break and get glass all over everything.

A lot of keepers use large tubs with under-tank heaters. The VE-175 Christmas tree storage tubs are about $30 and they should be in stores like WalMart soon. Those are plenty big for a boa. Just remember that no matter what kind of enclosure you get the UTH must be regulated by a thermostat or you will end up with a burned snake.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I do have a rheostat connected to my under tank heater just need to increase the ambient temperature and humidity. I'm not crazy about the look of the plastic tubs and would rather buy a proper enclosure when I can. The woman I bought from had the snake in this tank for 6 months and said she had no problems but I'm not sure what all she was using for her set up.

Banned
    Thanks

Is it a glass or wooden enclosure or something else?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Is it a glass or wooden enclosure or something else?
    It's a glass tank with a screen door that takes up about 2/3 of the top panel.

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For humidity, cover 3/4 of the top with plastic. Like plastic wrap secured with tape. Substrate type will help as well. Aspen has worked best for me when I have issues.

For the ambient, depending on how the light fixture is situated, you can get a light bulb cage.

But optimally when you have the funds you need to upgrade to at least a 4x2x1 cage meant for snakes.
    - Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast