Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,494

2 members and 1,492 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Feeder

Thanks

Re: Trouble Feeder

What's his weight? And what was his weight 3 months ago? Deborah suggested he might be trying to "catch up" his length to his girth. If he's been off food for a couple of months, but still looks like a healthy body style, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he's thinning out, but only losing a little weight, I also wouldn't worry about it too much. If he's looking thin, and borderline emaciated, then it's time to do something.

If F/T hasn't been working for you, then go to a pet shop, buy a small rat, show the snake the rat through the enclosure and try to get him interested in it. Then, kill the rodent right before you put it into the enclosure. Bonus points if you kill it completely, but get it in the tank while it's legs are still twitching. Attempt at night, and if possible, position yourself such that you can watch him, but he can't really see you... You want him focused on the small prey item, not the giant potential predator (you) looming over him. I have a decent sized piece of cardboard that I put between myself and the snake on occasion, and I can peer over the top and spy on him, while he can really only see the rodent, and the solid cardboard background.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maausen View Post
    Thanks Zincubus. I assume it may not be the water part because the rat is in a sealed ziplock for the entire process till I take it out and offer.. Unless you mean that this even has an effect?

I might try this one! Sound like it could really work for him. Thank you for the help.
    Ahh - if it's airtight then there wouldn't be an issue as you correctly assumed ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

maausen (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch22 View Post
    What's his weight? And what was his weight 3 months ago? Deborah suggested he might be trying to "catch up" his length to his girth. If he's been off food for a couple of months, but still looks like a healthy body style, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he's thinning out, but only losing a little weight, I also wouldn't worry about it too much. If he's looking thin, and borderline emaciated, then it's time to do something.

If F/T hasn't been working for you, then go to a pet shop, buy a small rat, show the snake the rat through the enclosure and try to get him interested in it. Then, kill the rodent right before you put it into the enclosure. Bonus points if you kill it completely, but get it in the tank while it's legs are still twitching. Attempt at night, and if possible, position yourself such that you can watch him, but he can't really see you... You want him focused on the small prey item, not the giant potential predator (you) looming over him. I have a decent sized piece of cardboard that I put between myself and the snake on occasion, and I can peer over the top and spy on him, while he can really only see the rodent, and the solid cardboard background.
    He hasn't lost any weight. He has been the same for 3 months.

He also was taking f/t for the entire 3 years i've had him so I really do not wanna introduce a new food source if I can get him back to f/t unless it becomes too long! I just don't know how long is too long for him and if I should continue trying what I have been trying.

Thanks

A little more background on everything: about 10 months ago (winter season ~ December) he just broke 800g and became finicky with food, eating monthly rather then every 10 days. I figured it was down to wanting to breed since he finally became sexually mature. Then came beginning of July and I moved him to my new house about 20 minutes away. Since in the new house he has not eaten since. End of October will be 4 months without food.

Thanks

Last night I tried pre-killed small rat and he still was not interested. Anyone have extra input? I am really trying to figure out what the heck is going on! It is frustrating to feed every other week when I end up wasting a rat.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Sounds like he is just being a boy. If he is not loosing weight try not to worry too much. I think I would stop offering for a month then attempt live to "jump start" his feeding response.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-27-2017),maausen (10-27-2017),Mr. Misha (10-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Sounds like he is just being a boy. If he is not loosing weight try not to worry too much. I think I would stop offering for a month then attempt live to "jump start" his feeding response.
    I second this. I had a BP last year fast for 8 months but didn't lose any significant weight. I offered monthly.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

maausen (10-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Welcome to winter brumation aka "my male has decided to stop eating an I get to play guess how many rats I throw away". It is annoying because you get to waste rodents trying to figure out just when it starts. This is one reason I am getting rid of the glass tank. Tired of winter fasts simply because the house gets cold and having to fight to keep conditions ideal. I am also seriously thinking of getting another reptile again that is a garbage disposal so when this inevitably happens I have something to dump refused meals to again.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

maausen (10-27-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Welcome to winter brumation aka "my male has decided to stop eating an I get to play guess how many rats I throw away". It is annoying because you get to waste rodents trying to figure out just when it starts. This is one reason I am getting rid of the glass tank. Tired of winter fasts simply because the house gets cold and having to fight to keep conditions ideal. I am also seriously thinking of getting another reptile again that is a garbage disposal so when this inevitably happens I have something to dump refused meals to again.
    Getting rid of the glass tank may make your life easier, however it is very unlikely it will stop the winter fast. The only thing that may help with that is feeding less. The garbage disposal idea is the best if you don't want to waste anything.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

A lot of snakes will go off feed during this time of year. If he's not losing weight, and you know your temps are on point, just keep offering food every 3-4 weeks until he starts eating again. I usually give in and offer a small live feeder after they've refused food for 3-4 months even though I know they can go a lot longer without food. One way to never waste refused food is to get more snakes!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (10-27-2017),maausen (10-27-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast