Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,965

2 members and 2,963 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    In CA the law only applies to cats, dogs, and rabbits... so far.

Thanks
    I don't think it will solve much... People that would impulse buy a "cockapoo" or whatever from their local store will now turn to the local paper, CL, etc. and find an even cheaper listing by a BYB or puppymill... These people probably won't jump through the hoops a good breeder would want them too (application, answer questions, waiting list, etc.) so will just spend their money at the local BYB instead.

At least stores are (I believe) required to do vaccinations and health checks on the dogs they sell... Not so with the BYB option.

I could see this law being broadened to ban sales of any living animal other than a rescue too..which would put most reptile and fish shops out of business.

I support both rescue and buying from a good breeder, I believe people should have a choice in where they get their pets and that the stray / shelter problem is almost entirely due to impulsive and irresponsible buyers...Those discarding their pet or not getting it spayed / neutered and letting it roam and create a litter. Responsible breeders screen those people out and offer to take back their animals if you can't keep them,also their animals typically don't end up in shelters. ... I could also see this law broadening to "Any animal sales other than rescue" outside of stores...This would keep good, responsible breeders from producing animals and that, I believe, is the end goal of the AR groups anyway.

Note that I don't agree with or support stores selling animals from puppy mills, but I don't think laws are the way to go to end the practice.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    If the goal were to shut down backyard breeders then the state could require any pet sold or rescued to be up-to-date on vaccines and have a vet health certificate. Unfortunately around here they advertise puppies in CL or FB, people buy them, and a week later all heck breaks loose in the pet forums because dozens of buyers paid cash for parvo+ puppies that died. Meanwhile the seller's profile is long gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    It's a bad law and it's been pushed by Animal Rights extremist groups for a specific reason... to help eliminate owning pets. Period.

Why is it bad???

A pet store selling rescues means that instead of a rescue using volunteer resources to research a potential owner, or making sure a dog/puppy is a good match for a particular home... you have a store who will hand out the dog/puppy to anyone in a sale situation.

Respected and humane breeders of dogs will lose one more venue to provide well bred pets. Now they'll be reduced to competing with the random mutts who go prego wandering the streets and real mills that need to unload puppies and retired breeders.

Rescues and shelters have another place that will compete for potential homes. They can and will lose donations, exposure, resources and homes for pets.

The breeders that WILL shut down are the good breeders, the ones that do things right. The "mills" won't shut down, they'll just get reassigned as a "rescue" and sell more pups, sell on CL, or ship the pets out of state.

Once the small breeders are gone, the AR groups head for the easiest of pickings, the big mills. Make no mistake, there's plenty of laws about humane treatment of all animals. The AR groups could help make sure they're enforced but they don't. They go after other targets because they don't want humanely bred and owned pets. They want no pets.

Most people have already joined in... look at how you vilify any dog breeder. They are either a "puppy mill" or a "backyard breeder". The only distinction anyone makes between the two is how many dogs they have or which catch phrase the speaker likes best.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-30-2017),bcr229 (10-18-2017),o.r hill (10-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    It sounds well intention-ed, but its a really ineffective law.

For one, like Wolfy said, any rescue animal should be re-homed with at least SOME effort on placing it in the right home. This is an animal that has already been passed along for various reasons, so the chance of a failed adoption is higher, esp. if you "sell" them to whomever fancy looking at them, without knowing the issues that animal may have.

On top of that, I have long said...ANY AND ALL sales of Cats and Dogs (puppies and kittens) should be outlawed in petstores. All over the country. It is way overdue. Petstore sales are a HUGE sales outlet for puppy mills. Will they find other ways ? Yes. But this would deeply cut into their profit and be a big step towards shutting them down. The big Mills are actually huge corporations (Hunte) that have huge trucks, trucking animals all over the country. Shutting down sales in only one state won't hurt them much at all.

They also "pay the right people" to make sure that laws WILL NOT change. This is a far bigger problem then just private mills here and there. This is a big business in the US.

I'm from Europe, we haven't had puppystore sales of dogs and cats ever since I can remember. There are no mills (country I'm from). The shelters aren't overly full and the euthanasia rate is low. As a matter of fact, animal rescue groups routinely import dogs from other countries, to be rescued and adopted.
    Interestingly enough, when I grew up there, "spaying and neutering" was also NOT a thing. Rarely done. Yet, you didn't have all those backyard breeders, full shelters, and everyone breeding everything with private parts. Perhaps it has more to do with responsible pet keeping. Laws that are harsh on animal abuse AND neglect. You don't find animals running loose, chained in yards, out breeding.

This problem here with over population of dogs and cats is huge. The Mills are a big part of the problem, and shutting them down will require a lot of effort. Like I said, they are deeply imbedded and they make sure that laws favor them. Then you have the irresponsibility of pet owners. Breeding everything, letting their animals run loose, neglect, abuse, etc.

Yes, the "spay and neuter" movement is a good one, but if that is the only part that keeps going, it will not work. Its like treating a symptom without taking care of the cause.

I'm all FOR Rescue and I'm also FOR responsible breeding. The responsible breeders I know and would buy from would NEVER ever sell their pups/kittens to a petstore or even on craigs list. I'm not elitist, I simply prefer to buy from someone that takes this as serious as I would. That includes all health testing, careful selection, breeding to BETTER the breed, with emphasis on health, personality and also correct conformation. That does not mean someone that "shows" and only cares for "looks".

Its time to support rescue better and also not to make new laws that actually hurt the responsible breeders, rather then the mills and backyard breeders or irresponsible pet owners.

Its a big problem, really, with lots of nuisances. But you have to start somewhere. Outlawing petstore sales across the country would be a huge step in the right direction buy you bet that there will be people fighting that tooth and nail. People that have help in higher places.

Rescues should never be "sold" in petstore either, what a crazy idea. Petstores should "host" rescue group and allow them to present the animals that are ready for adoption, to help match them with the right home.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-30-2017),bcr229 (10-29-2017),Godzilla78 (10-29-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12