Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,291

2 members and 1,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

A Few General Carpet Questions

Hi all, (I posted this on another board/forum as well, just looking for a little feedback)

Im in the market for a new snake. Currently have 2 ball pythons and looking for a little more challenge, diversity, activity, and something larger... Anyway, ive pretty much decided on a carpet.

I'm thinking about a Jungle. I am so attracted to that black and yellow combo. Just wondering as I've seen mixed information. Is that color known to fade over the years? I've seen info stating that they get brighter yellow as they grow, others say the yellow fades over the years. I am sure there are a lot of differences between individual snakes. I'm just looking for some first hand info.

Also, assuming i get a juvenile until it gains some size I'm planning on keeping it in a 36x18x18 exo-terra that i already have, but once it grows I am planning on building my own PVC enclosure with 1/2" from Home Depot. I was thinking a 4x2x2 enclosure as a lifetime home. Any thoughts on the size? I'm thinking 1/4" clear acrylic on hinges for a door and viewing window. Seems like a fairly standard enclosure from my research, just looking for opinions. I haven't decided on best heating/lighting options yet.

The more i see other morphs and different sub-species the more i waver on what to go with LoL I go back and forth, Jungle, Coastal, caramel, red... ugh, decisions decisions. I definitely want something that's going to be a good display animal, with some size...but bottom line this is a pet, for my wife and me (mainly for me LoL). I'm going to do my best to give it a good home, get it used to handling, give it a good snake life

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    I'm no pro (only have one carpet), but I'll give your questions a shot.

1. Color- This varies greatly with lines, age, and the animal... If you want a high color animal, purchase from a breeder with good lines (Inland Reptiles is great). Ask for parent photos, etc. to see what your animal might mature as.

I believe color maxes out at 2-4 years old (they are brownish as babies). Some can fade over time, similar to BPs, but again, varies on the animal and lines.

2. Caging- Your plan sounds good...Just make sure your exo-terra can hold ambient temps and hot-spot temps adequately before getting the carpet. I would personally black out 3 sides using contact paper on the outside to make the carpet feel more secure. Lots of climbing branches will be appreciated and a young carpet will probably use hides. I would look into an RHP for heating your pvc enclosure, but am not sure how you would install one on an exo-terra, so you may have to settle for a UTH and a CHE.

I have my carpet in a 4x2x18" pvc cage (from animal plastics) with a climbing shelf and he uses all of the space.

3. Type of Carpet- I'd stay with a junge as coastals get larger and may require a bigger cage than 4'x2'x2' as an adult. If you are OK with larger, then some of the coastals are great morphs... the caramels and axanthics are great looking.

I have a IJ/Jungle/Jag. I would honestly avoid a jag... I was looking for a jungle when I got mine (there were not jungles available at the show I was at) and jags do have neuro issues like in spider BPs. Mine is mostly ok except when handling..He has a difficult time holding / gripping and seems to be "off" in his balance when handling, so it makes it difficult to hold him with confidence (I constantly fear he might fall).
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Wharf Rat (10-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the response.

As far as caging I am flexible on size. I am converting an office/den in my house to a snake room. There is a little alcove in the room that would hold a 4 wide 2 deep enclosure up to about 3 feet high, maybe 4, but that would be pushing it. That being said I could build on a coffee table base and go wider and higher. So really size isn't a huge problem. Assuming the PVC I'm using is structurally adequate to support everything. But...I will have some time for the build. And the cost isn't too bad all things considered. Less than $200.

The exo terras currently house my ball pythons, so they are pretty well set up already. Just need some climbing "furniture". I have CHEs and undertank heaters already. I'm building 36x24x18 pvc enclosures for each of the ball pythons with RHPs for heating.

Now...restraining myself...realistically the largest enclosure I'd probably build for a carpet would be 5x2x2. I could keep it on a coffee table for a stand. Or a 4x2x3 in the alcove.

My head is kinda spinning with ideas so I better leave it at that for now. I'm already rambling lol

Oh...the jag gene...as pretty as it is it's something I want to avoid. I know many snakes are just fine, but I already have a bumblebee ball, not showing any "bad" neuro signs yet, but definitely has a wobble... I'd rather avoid that with future snakes.
    Last edited by Wharf Rat; 10-17-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: A Few General Carpet Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
    I'm thinking about a Jungle. I am so attracted to that black and yellow combo. Just wondering as I've seen mixed information. Is that color known to fade over the years? I've seen info stating that they get brighter yellow as they grow, others say the yellow fades over the years. I am sure there are a lot of differences between individual snakes. I'm just looking for some first hand info.
    That's when buying from a reputable breeder coes to play, one that keeps linage info and can show you a picture of the parents which with a trophee animal will give you a good idea on what to expect.

That's important because there are a lot of ugly jungle out there.

Also, assuming i get a juvenile until it gains some size I'm planning on keeping it in a 36x18x18 exo-terra that i already have, but once it grows I am planning on building my own PVC enclosure with 1/2" from Home Depot. I was thinking a 4x2x2 enclosure as a lifetime home. Any thoughts on the size? I'm thinking 1/4" clear acrylic on hinges for a door and viewing window. Seems like a fairly standard enclosure from my research, just looking for opinions. I haven't decided on best heating/lighting options yet.
    4x2 for an adult something smaller if you get an hatchling (in other words a temporary cage that will grow with the animal). As far as light you probably want to go with LED, low wattage, does not produce heat and is brighter than most light (it will also last longer)

The more i see other morphs and different sub-species the more i waver on what to go with LoL I go back and forth, Jungle, Coastal, caramel, red... ugh, decisions decisions. I definitely want something that's going to be a good display animal, with some size...but bottom line this is a pet, for my wife and me (mainly for me LoL). I'm going to do my best to give it a good home, get it used to handling, give it a good snake life
    There are various subspecies, various mutation, you need to decide if you want something pure, integrade, whether you are ready for a coastal vs a jungle due to the size difference etc

That will give you a good idea on what's out there

http://www.moreliapythonradio.com/Mo...a-complex.html

And if you are serious about a quality carpet the first person that comes to mind is Nick Mutton at http://www.inlandreptile.com/
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-17-2017),Wharf Rat (10-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks artgecko and Deborah for the inlandreptile recommendation. I've checked them out in the past and was impressed with their info and offerings.

I will be sure to let you know what I ultimately get.

Thanks

I have my JCP in a 4x2x3’ tall AP cage with a shelf and PVC jungle gym, and he’s all over it. My Bredli is in a 4x2x2, and also uses the whole thing. 2’ tall seems to be fine for the Bredli, but I wouldn’t go any shorter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I also suggest looking to Nick Mutton for carpet pythons. He keeps a huge collection of carpets and still finds time to answer questions/inquiries in a timely fashion. I've also noticed a trend with some jungle people in which they raise up animals fast and retire them early, before they advance into their fully mature colors. I suppose they want to be able to show neon yellow breeders but these animals aren't really what I call adults if they're only 3-4 years old. Nick does things right and has some proper older animals pictured in his lineages so you can get a real idea of what your animal will look like for the vast majority of it's life.

Figured I'd add a few pictures of animals at different stages in life. Not a shameless plug since I don't have any animals available, haha.

Jungles hatch out very muted:

Youngsters coloring up:

Siblings, they don't all color up at the same rate or to the same degree. These were around 9-12 months at the time:

More of a wild type color on this yearling, more dirty gold than yellow:

Holdback yearling pair:

Old male, in the 19-20 year range at the time of this picture:

More recent shot, he's 21 now:

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-19-2017),EL-Ziggy (10-18-2017),tttaylorrr (10-19-2017),Wharf Rat (10-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

The elder statesman OMC is still a stunner John! I love the head stamps on those holdbacks too.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

John1982 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Beautiful snakes John, thank you for sharing. My first snake was a ball python that I got in October 1994, i still have him and he's going strong. 23 or 24 years old now (guessing he was about 6 months to a year old when i got him).

I am just now beginning to expand my collection. Currently have two ball pythons, carpet in the next month or two, and planning on getting a few other snakes over the next couple years. Im 49 now and already have arrangements made for a new home for my snakes when i am too old to care for them properly (a good friend younger than me LoL)... Its a little strange with snakes, getting pets now that will potentially outlive me (hopefully not, but have to plan ahead)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wharf Rat For This Useful Post:

John1982 (12-12-2017),o.r hill (10-27-2017)

Thanks
    Just wanted to post an update. Yesterday i got my JCP along with a decent enclosure from a local breeder that i trust. Its a sweet little two year old girl. Shes still a tiny little thing, well not tiny, but skinny lol about 40 inches long. The enclosure was reasonably priced and will work great for a year or two. Its a 36x18x18 plastic viv set up for arboreal snakes with two pvc crossbars/perches. I think its a Neodesha enclosure. Used, but clean and in great shape.

I'll post pics when i get some good ones. Thanks all

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wharf Rat For This Useful Post:

John1982 (10-27-2017),Prognathodon (10-27-2017)