Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

1 members and 2,799 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substrate!

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Substrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonald Drump View Post
    Hey guys, also just curious, is sawdust okay as substrate? My dad bought some for his BP

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk
    It depends. Aspen is okay(Although as stated above its horrible for humidity) Pine,I've heard people that use it and it's kind of iffy so I'd say no. If you don't know what kind of wood it is,don't use it. I'd just go with Cocofiber or Peat? Whatever it's called where you are
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    It depends. Aspen is okay(Although as stated above its horrible for humidity) Pine,I've heard people that use it and it's kind of iffy so I'd say no. If you don't know what kind of wood it is,don't use it. I'd just go with Cocofiber or Peat? Whatever it's called where you are
    Okay, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ss laser View Post
    When you say over head heat, I figure at least when stated you were talking glass tank and CHE? How does a RHP effect the substrate? How does a UTH also effect humidity of each? Does one type dry out faster then another? How about the basking temp from one to another? In other words do certain substrate heat up more or less? Or is it thickness dependent? All about the same with the recommended thickness? Looking for all opinions.

For example Godzilla78 went from unnamed substrate to paper how did that effect temps and humidity in what type of enclosure?

Great thread thank you! Sorry I have so many questions. But like to continue a good thread. And my questions might of course help other beginners. And get the veterans to add more content.
    thanks!
    You really want coconut fiber, cypress bark, or orchid bark for a glass tank to help retain humidity. Temperature control should not even matter really with substrate and ball pythons as they will push and dig to get down to warmth. CHEs do tend to dry out much faster than RHPs due to the higher heat generated but as far as one cusbtrate retaining heat more than another, I don't have any hard and fast numbers. More substrate acts as insulation against an UTH so that would be why most people recommend 1 to 1 1/2 inch of substrate in a tank.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I appreciate what you are trying to do here, I have a couple of my thoughts.

-The pine that keepers have been using for years is kiln dried pine, not widely available so it it not that widely used.

-It is the keepers responsibility to control humidity in the enclosure. if a substrate has too much moisture, that is the keepers fault not the substrate.

-Coconut husk, coir, fiber, reptile prime, it is all the same thing. the only difference it the texture it is processed down to. One will not mold faster then the other, again that is a humidity issue that the keeper must address. Dust is the main issue with the brick style products.

-I love cypress mulch, it is a shame it is not as widely available because of the damage that harvesting causes. it is just as "abrasive" as the fir bark and coco chunks. which leads to the next point.

-Scales on our snakes are there for protection, they are meant to protect against rough and abrasive surfaces. They are not the delicate flowers that lately people have made them out to be. The biggest threat to them is constant contact with over saturated substrates that can lead to scale rot.

-The only issue with the repti-carpet is that it will get expensive replacing it when your snake soils it every week, It is no different or less sanitary then a sheet of newspaper unless you try and re-use, it is a pain to try and properly clean these. The stigma for this came years ago when lizards were catching their toe nails and ripping them off in it, does not apply to snakes. But there are way better options out there.

-I know you are speaking in general but, what new keepers need to understand is that where you live and where you keep your snakes will have have a impact on how the substrate works as well. That is why people out there have fine sheds with aspen and others don't. Some people have humidity controlled rooms and they can use anything, some live up north and have humidity issues in the winter even when using cypress mulch. you have to find out what works best for your environment and sometimes that can take some testing to get right.

- This is just what I have learned along the way, i'm not trying to come off mean, though I know it sounds that way.

-Oh, I don't think you mentioned Sani chips or that Desert snow bedding.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aztec4mia For This Useful Post:

elleon (11-23-2017),MissterDog (11-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Cypress mulch is sold by zoo med as forest floor in every pet store chain and online so it is actually widely available.
    Sani-chips are just aspen shavings that are chopped up and further heat treated
    Eco earth loose and forest floor come moist in the bag so if you need it dry you will need to let it air dry or bake it before placing it in a snake cage.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Yay, my cocopeat is here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12