Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,112

0 members and 3,112 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

12 Tub snake rack for less than $100

So I ordered an ARS rack a couple weeks ago, apparently they are moving to a new location and the shipping has been delayed for weeks. But in the mean time I purchased a collection of ball pythons from another snake keeper and needed some place to put 12 snakes, just temporarily until my rack comes in.

So I picked up these 28 quart tubs from Home Depot and drilled four 7/8 holes in each end for ventilation, then added coconut husk substrate. All together, even with the substate, it's less than $100! (The bins were less than $6 each) Of course there's no hotspot but I'll just keep it in the snake room at 82F until my rack comes in.

I'm going to stack them four high and put them on a wire shelving unit just to get them out of the way. This will be a good expandable system for any overflow I have now and then, and it all stacks together and can be put away in a very small space. I got the idea from an old BHB video, they had shoebox size bins with lids stacked on wire shelving units to hold all of their hatchlings. Of course once you sell a few snakes you can use that snake money to buy a rack or two for the rest. But in this case these will all be adult breeders.

Last edited by cchardwick; 10-16-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Here's a snapshot of that BHB video where they set up ball python hatchlings in shoe boxes on wire shelves, pretty clever!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    That video must be old lol. I have been watching Brian for almost two years.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*