Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,492

0 members and 1,492 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: New Ball Python Concerns

Not a bad idea at all you should always ensure your temps are correct ad yea most standards are 12 inches hight the taller ones are about 16 but yea thats fine then your good woth a 50-60 watt bulb but as i mentioned before if your ball has yet to start feeding start him with something live i guarantee you if your tank is set up correctly he/she will eat like a champ i was driving myself crazy i couldnt get my girl to eat anything she ate one time for me and thats when i left the ft prey in her tank overnight but other then that she would show no interest one time i found her resting her head on the prey like a pillow i was going thru mice after mice and no results i threw in a live fuzzy bro shes been a beast ever since eating regularly every 4-5 days once she reaches about 200 grams then you can convert her to fr when she can go a few weeks refusing but if she hasnt established eating yet thats may be the issue your having

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lapara157 View Post
    Not a bad idea at all you should always ensure your temps are correct ad yea most standards are 12 inches hight the taller ones are about 16 but yea thats fine then your good woth a 50-60 watt bulb but as i mentioned before if your ball has yet to start feeding start him with something live i guarantee you if your tank is set up correctly he/she will eat like a champ i was driving myself crazy i couldnt get my girl to eat anything she ate one time for me and thats when i left the ft prey in her tank overnight but other then that she would show no interest one time i found her resting her head on the prey like a pillow i was going thru mice after mice and no results i threw in a live fuzzy bro shes been a beast ever since eating regularly every 4-5 days once she reaches about 200 grams then you can convert her to fr when she can go a few weeks refusing but if she hasnt established eating yet thats may be the issue your having
    Appreciate the input! I will definitely get on those changes asap! recommendations as to when to try feeding after i make all these changes? also substrate you use to hold humidity? currently have aspen

Thanks

Eco earth i thinks its also known as cypress mulch its hold humidity vwry well a quick mist in the am and pm your humidity will be perfext you cann also try moss you soak and leave in corners of tank and in hides will do wonders for humidity and wait a week after youvmake changes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lapara157 View Post
    Eco earth i thinks its also known as cypress mulch its hold humidity vwry well a quick mist in the am and pm your humidity will be perfext you cann also try moss you soak and leave in corners of tank and in hides will do wonders for humidity and wait a week after youvmake changes
    currently have moss for my leopard geckos hide, what would be the best way to use that to increase humidity without getting rid of aspen as well?

Thanks

If you dont wanna waste the aspen get moss for your tank and soak them then place on all 4 corners of tank also along your water bowl and in hides and also position your waterball closer to warm side as the water evaporates it will create humidity on another note the top of your tank im assuming you have the typical mesh screen all open correct that allows for alot of hunidity to escape i would cover up the top with a damp towel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lapara157 For This Useful Post:

pilot (10-16-2017)

Thanks

I would ditch the aspen. I know it sucks to lose money but you're having a humidity problem and it will be better for your snake if you get a substrate that can better hold and tolerate moisture. My recommendations are either eco Earth (coco coir) or some sort of Cypress mulch. Both are good at holding humidity. If it is still completely necessary, get some sphagnum moss and mix it in with the substrate/make little hedges around the edges of the tank. Soak it, wring it out a bit, then place it inside and mist it here and there. if that is STILL not enough, dampen a hand towel and place it over the hot hide. I have had to do all of this, but now my humidity stays at 55-56% throughout the day. It pays off.

Other then that, PLEASE, PLEASE get that other husbandry on point. Your beep will not eat until it is fixed. If there is anything to cut corners on, proper husbandry is not one of them IMO. Even is you get the most inexpensive things that'll do the job, you should still get them. Good luck and I wish you the best!
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (10-16-2017),Zincubus (10-16-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You definitely don't want to assist feed without experience and exhausting ALL other options FIRST.

Get your husbandry on point, get the snake feeling safe and secure and wait a few days. NO HANDLING until the animal is eating. I personally wait until a new snake has eaten 3 consecutive meals with me, without refusal, before any handling. I always advise this especially with juvenile snakes and new keepers.

Once husbandry and security is in place, try feeding an appropriately sized meal. If it is refused wait a few days and try again. You may need to try offering live a few times before switching over to F/T, but definitely don't try to assist feed again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234