Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

0 members and 2,919 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Disturbing trend.. mites no longer taken care of by PAM!? Also alternate dilution NIX

So, I am not going to name names or anything, but quite a few of my friends have talked to me about how PAM no longer takes care of mites. One person that helped start my own collection, said the one time he's ever had mites, recently, that he took all animals out of the enclosure and put them in pre-treated bins. He then cleaned all enclosures by vacuuming, throwing the bag outside immediately, then steam cleaning all enclosures and the room, let the moisture dry then sprayed all enclosures heavily, sprayed behind the enclosures, on all wires, the baseboards and basically the entire reptile room floor and the walls. Let it air dry for a long time and then put the animals back after rinsing them off.

He repeated this multiple times, about once every 2.5 weeks which is under the month coverage supposedly provided by PAM.. and last week he found some mites. Not adults but mites none-the-less.

That kind of extreme, nuke everything with PAM forever and still find mites is becoming a more common story. I hear it all the time. No corners are being cut, no mistakes, it just seems PAM isn't as effective as it is said to be or the pests are building immunity?

A lot of breeder friends have told me that if I ever have the problem, or if my friends do, that we should use NIX. I'm sure everyones heard of it, 1% 56g permethrin NIX mixed with 4l of water. However, in the area concerned, only NIX 5% 30g permethrin can be found. What would the dilution for that be? It's a much stronger concentration so no one is willing to play games and they want to know how to properly dilute it to be the same strength as the original safe NIX method.

Any help appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by MikeYPG; 10-15-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    It's possible but not documented. While permethrin resistant lice are clinically documented, snake and other mites have not been. The problem with your story is that Nix contains the same ingredient so treating mites resistant to a certain pharmacological will do absolutely nothing.

This sounds more like hearsay than anything actually as it is most likely due to misinformation and improper use of the product.

The good news is that if there ever are drug resistant snake mites, there are alternative treatments that will kill an infestation that could be theoretically resistant.

In other words, don't be so quick to take what you read or hear as gospel without doing your due diligence and proper research. Use the recommended product should you have an outbreak, don't abandon it simply because you read a horror story. Also, whoever told you Nix would be effective when Provent a Mite would not has no idea what they are talking about.
    Last edited by SDA; 10-15-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Disturbing trend.. mites no longer taken care of by PAM!? Also alternate dilution

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYPG View Post
    So, I am not going to name names or anything, but quite a few of my friends have talked to me about how PAM no longer takes care of mites. One person that helped start my own collection, said the one time he's ever had mites, recently, that he took all animals out of the enclosure and put them in pre-treated bins. He then cleaned all enclosures by vacuuming, throwing the bag outside immediately, then steam cleaning all enclosures and the room, let the moisture dry then sprayed all enclosures heavily, sprayed behind the enclosures, on all wires, the baseboards and basically the entire reptile room floor and the walls. Let it air dry for a long time and then put the animals back after rinsing them off.

He repeated this multiple times, about once every 2.5 weeks which is under the month coverage supposedly provided by PAM.. and last week he found some mites. Not adults but mites none-the-less.

That kind of extreme, nuke everything with PAM forever and still find mites is becoming a more common story. I hear it all the time. No corners are being cut, no mistakes, it just seems PAM isn't as effective as it is said to be or the pests are building immunity?

A lot of breeder friends have told me that if I ever have the problem, or if my friends do, that we should use NIX. I'm sure everyones heard of it, 1% 56g permethrin NIX mixed with 4l of water. However, in the area concerned, only NIX 5% 30g permethrin can be found. What would the dilution for that be? It's a much stronger concentration so no one is willing to play games and they want to know how to properly dilute it to be the same strength as the original safe NIX method.

Any help appreciated, thanks
    Firstly, PAM is the go to treatment for mites without question. However, it has to be used properly to be effective and remain safe. That said, it has to be used in conjunction with the Natural Chemistry application directly applied to the animal and any shortcuts, overspraying , underspraying or just not following the Pro products application regimen is a recipe for disaster. PAM and Natural Chemistry are the one two punch to eradication success. The other thing is the Nix product. If you have a 1% solution that means the concentration of the medication is 1gm per ml. The 56gm is the total amount of grams in the bottle or container. 5% would be 5gms per ml. So, you would have to use a 1ml syringe and draw up .2ml of the 5% solution to get the appropriate amount into the 4l of water. Honestly though i think the amount of water should be 1litre and it should be distilled water.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

SDA (10-15-2017)

Thanks

Re: Disturbing trend.. mites no longer taken care of by PAM!? Also alternate dilution

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Firstly, PAM is the go to treatment for mites without question. However, it has to be used properly to be effective and remain safe. That said, it has to be used in conjunction with the Natural Chemistry application directly applied to the animal and any shortcuts, overspraying , underspraying or just not following the Pro products application regimen is a recipe for disaster. PAM and Natural Chemistry are the one two punch to eradication success. The other thing is the Nix product.
    Do you have a link or can you expand on how this one-two punch should be applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Do you have a link or can you expand on how this one-two punch should be applied?

Nah, unfortunately i don't. Sorry. The 800 number on the can of PAM will get a represenative on the line and they are unbelievably helpful and glad to share info.

This is the best reference i have right now..

PRO PRODUCTS
    36 SPLIT ROCK ROAD
    MAHOPAC, N.Y.10451
    845-628-8960

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BPGator (10-15-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post

BP, the correct zip code is 10541....Sorry. Everything else in the contact is correct.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BPGator (10-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Most likely the people who continue to get re-infested are stopping treatment too soon. An egg can take up to 30 days to hatch and they are not affected by PAM, so treatment should continue for 30 days after you stop seeing mites on the snake.

Reptile Spray is easy to use - apply some onto a white paper towel an wipe the snake with it, making sure to apply it well under their chin. It can be re-applied every three days.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-15-2017),BPGator (10-15-2017),BPSnakeLady (10-15-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Reptile Spray is easy to use - apply some onto a white paper towel an wipe the snake with it, making sure to apply it well under their chin. It can be re-applied every three days.
    When you say reptile spray, do you mean this? I've seen it at wildlife seminars and conferences for use in treating wild reptiles when they come into rehab but have never used it. One turtle rehaber suggested "misting" the turtles once a week if you had a large volume and I was skeptical...I'd forgotten about it until you brought in up https://www.chewy.com/natural-chemis...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    When you say reptile spray, do you mean this? I've seen it at wildlife seminars and conferences for use in treating wild reptiles when they come into rehab but have never used it. One turtle rehaber suggested "misting" the turtles once a week if you had a large volume and I was skeptical...I'd forgotten about it until you brought in up https://www.chewy.com/natural-chemis...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Yea that’s what I used just 4 months ago or soon my Boa, it works well if you maintain a consistent regimen....never came back after a month and half treatment

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (10-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Yes that's it. The stuff is a solution of salts that works by dehydrating the mites and it hurts like heck if you get it into an open wound. I don't like spraying my critters with it b/c I don't want it in their eyes, so I wipe them instead. That also lets me see how quickly the infestation is decreasing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (10-16-2017)