Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

1 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Ticks??

Thanks

Ticks??

So my Aunt (who has given me some questionable advice that I don't follow because I know it's not right) keeps asking me about ticks- not mites (tried to correct her by saying "you mean mites?" She said no, ticks)- TICKS on Dewey.

Naturally, I was concerned so I looked up "snake ticks". They're huge?!

In 0 of Dewey's pictures have I seen anything that looks like a tick, and my dad said (after also looking it up) said he didn't see anything like that either.

If if they're so big and obvious, why is she telling me that I have to, and I quote, "thoroughly check under ALL the scales and will need help from another person". This seems like an unnecessary, stressful, and bogus procedure to me. But I'm not an expert, so I need you guys to tell me...

should i I be concerned about "ticks" on my beep and do this? Or is it another piece of her... off.. Advice?
    Last edited by GiddyGoat; 10-14-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks

Re: Ticks??

I would say her advice is definitely off. If it were ticks you would see them, same with mites. You can check your snake for mites by easily dragging your hand along the body of the snake and they will move, or even come off on your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OneEyedFox For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-14-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post
    I would say her advice is definitely off. If it were ticks you would see them, same with mites. You can check your snake for mites by easily dragging your hand along the body of the snake and they will move, or even come off on your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this is EXACTLY what I told her but she insisted that I was wrong. I had a funny feeling. Thank you for reassuring me.
    Dewey

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Ticks can and do infest wild snakes. I'd be very surprised to find a captive one infested with them.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ticks will generally be found on WC imports, and there is not much checking to do, a tick on a snake (especially a BP) would be very easy to spot.

The likely hood of a CB infested with ticks is very slim, sure if it was kept near an infested WC it is possible but even then most conscientious people treat their import for internal and external parasites.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGoat View Post
    So my Aunt (who has given me some questionable advice that I don't follow because I know it's not right) keeps asking me about ticks- not mites (tried to correct her by saying "you mean mites?" She said no, ticks)- TICKS on Dewey.

Naturally, I was concerned so I looked up "snake ticks". They're huge?!

In 0 of Dewey's pictures have I seen anything that looks like a tick, and my dad said (after also looking it up) said he didn't see anything like that either.

If if they're so big and obvious, why is she telling me that I have to, and I quote, "thoroughly check under ALL the scales and will need help from another person". This seems like an unnecessary, stressful, and bogus procedure to me. But I'm not an expert, so I need you guys to tell me...

should i I be concerned about "ticks" on my beep and do this? Or is it another piece of her... off.. Advice?
    Totally off advice. Sounds like one of those old wives tales that ends up doing more harm than good. You'd clearly see ticks on a snake.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ticks and mites are members of the same group. Mites are small in size and ticks are larger. Even for snake mites, checking under EVERY scale is unnecessary. Preferred location for any member of this group is the groove around the snake's eye. (Good hiding place with thin skin and lots of blood vessels.) If there are no mites or ticks there, chances are they are none elsewhere on the body.

I've seen at least two species of ticks on wild caught tropical snakes. The big grey ticks ranged from around 1/8 inch to around 3/4 of an inch long. The smaller brown ticks were 1/4 inch long or smaller. I never got a real identification of species from a professional tick man, though.

IMO, preferred removal method is to take hold of the tick with tweezers and gently pull backwards until the tick's mouth parts release. Then drop the tick in a bottle of alcohol. I took over 100 ticks off a boa constrictor that way back in the 1970s. Any insecticide that will kill snake mites will also kill ticks, but that doesn't get the mouth parts out of the snake's flesh. A wound from embedded mouth parts is likely to fester. However, an insecticide killed tick will not wander.

Different types of mites and ticks like different types of animals (or plants) as hosts. The nice part is that mites and ticks that like reptile blood generally think that mammal blood tastes terrible. So a reptile tick is unlikely to go for a human.

Your aunt means well. She may be generalizing from the wood ticks that get on people and suck blood. Those have gotten on me, and I did have to check myself over carefully to get rid of all of them. And sometimes I had to do it a second time. IMO, about all you can do is thank your aunt for her concern and tell her that you and your father have checked Dewey without finding any ticks. Good luck.

Thanks

Here, here. I second what paul says. Your aunt meant well but was working with poor information. A white lie in this case wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thank you for all of your replies. As I said, Dewey doesn't have anything noticeable like that on him, but the way she insisted you couldn't see them sounded very weird to me. I knew it was possible but the way she described it seemed off and she keeps pushing it on me.

Again, thanks for all of the information/reassurance.
    Dewey