Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

0 members and 3,276 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Humidity is always low HELP!!!

I’ve been misting my BP’s terrarium everyday but the humidity always goes back down to 40%-50% in about two hours.

The vet said to buy a humidifier but I’ve heard that its not good for Ball pythons.

What should I do? I read that putting a wet towel on the top should work but I’m always out of the house and I wont have time to re-wet it, please help!

(2016 Male) Banana Pastel~ Lafayette
    1.0 BP Banana Pastel- Lafayette

Thanks

Re: Humidity is always low HELP!!!

The damp towel wouldn't need to be wet more then every other day or so really. I rewet mine every morning when I get home from work even and it's fine. Also placing damp wash cloths on top of the hot hide (or both hides depending on how high you want the humidity works really well. Again wet them down every other day or so or even just spray them down with the mister when you must the tank.

Moss also works amazingly along with a good substrate that hold a humidity well. Get some coco husk or fiber substrate like ecoearth or reptile basics to hold humidity well and some spagnium moss (Is that how it's spelled? Lol) mix the moss in with the substrate and I even make a little hedge of moss around all sides of the tank but the front and spray them down when I spray the tank.

Finally do you have a screen top tank? If so is it covered mostly with tin foil to help hold on humidity?

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

OliveSprout (10-14-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    The damp towel wouldn't need to be wet more then every other day or so really. I rewet mine every morning when I get home from work even and it's fine. Also placing damp wash cloths on top of the hot hide (or both hides depending on how high you want the humidity works really well. Again wet them down every other day or so or even just spray them down with the mister when you must the tank.

Moss also works amazingly along with a good substrate that hold a humidity well. Get some coco husk or fiber substrate like ecoearth or reptile basics to hold humidity well and some spagnium moss (Is that how it's spelled? Lol) mix the moss in with the substrate and I even make a little hedge of moss around all sides of the tank but the front and spray them down when I spray the tank.

Finally do you have a screen top tank? If so is it covered mostly with tin foil to help hold on humidity?

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
    Oh thank you so much! The cover is all plastic but a small part on top is a screen, I’ll try doing the wet towel thing today and I’ll see how it goes.

Thank you again for help I was really worried since Lafayette is in shed and I couldn’t do anything about the humidity.

(2016 Male) Banana Pastel~ Lafayette
    1.0 BP Banana Pastel- Lafayette

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    If you have a screen-top glass tank, use cypress mulch as it tends to be wet and boost humidity. I cover 90% of my screen with insulation, and when needed (infrequently) I mist the cypress to re-moisten it.

The wet towel works even better, just get it wet and leave it on the screen all day. After awhile the towel will dry, especially if you are using heat lamps. I strongly recommend the cypress mulch, as that made a huge difference for me. It also absorbs odors extremely well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

OliveSprout (10-14-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use wood chips like you see in orchid pots and since I refresh the water every day I simply spill the previous days water over the vivarium to ensure the humidity is correct. Saves me a bit of time and I haven't had issues with shedding. Waste not want not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vipera Berus For This Useful Post:

OliveSprout (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    A few things that worked for me, I still need to pump it up a bit and I'll be getting a room humidifier in the next week or so.

The damp towel on the screen has worked very well. I spray it every morning and night.
    I also mixed moss into his coco husk substrate, which increased humidity.
    I put the water bowl over the heat mat which has increased evaporation. I have to fill it nearly twice a day because it evaporates so quickly.
    Lastly I covered almost the entire screen top with foil. This did spike my temps a bit and I had to adjust my thermostat accordingly, but it has done a lot for my humidity.

Using these methods I bumped it from a dreadful 30% to a decent 45-50%. As I said, last step is a humidifier for the room. NOT one like a reptifogger or mistking (that goes directly in the tank) but rather one that will sit outside the tank and project water vapor throughout the rooms air.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to honeybee For This Useful Post:

OliveSprout (10-18-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There are two things you can do to raise humidity: Reduce ventilation, and increase the amount of moisture in the enclosure that's available for evaporation. Since you're already doing the first thing, the second is the place to start. A large water bowl placed on or under a heat source is one strategy. Another is to add additional water bowls, or a bowl full of damp sphagnum moss, with some standing water in the bottom. The moss will wick up the water in the dish and will provide more surface area that it can evaporate off of than just a bowl of water.
    Live plants are another strategy. Some moisture will get into the air straight from the plants' leaves, and the soil is also a great repository for moisture which you replenish by watering the plants.

Misting doesn't do much for very long because a few squirts with a sprayer really doesn't actually introduce that much additional moisture. It wets some surfaces, but the water all evaporates and escapes quickly and then it's gone. Pull the handle of a spray bottle ten times and measure what comes out, and you'll see it's really not very much. Imagine trying to water a plant with a spray bottle like that - your hand would get tired!

You need to add a lot more water than that, and put it somewhere that lets it evaporate into the air easily.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

OliveSprout (10-18-2017)