Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,577

0 members and 2,577 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My recommendation to another forum member recently:

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I would recommend getting a Boa 100%. They are very easy to care for, they never miss a meal, they are amazing to handle, as they are very alert, attentive and active and they reach a larger, yet manageable size...
    I highly recommend the same for you. If getting something that will most likely only reach 4' - 6' is important to you, I would go with a male BCI. Since you are drawn to snakes that like to wrap around you (as am I), a Boa is the clear choice unless you would be interested in getting into Super Dwarf Retics. I wouldn't rule out a Ball Python, either, though. All of my Ball Pythons wrap around me and like hanging out and exploring almost as much as my Boas.
    Ball Pythons are definitely very pet rock-esque and timid as babies, though. The biggest difference between Ball Pythons and Boas (handling-wise) is, Ball Pythons are much calmer and nowhere near as active, alert and attentive or at times, a bit flighty compared to Boas. As far as ease of care goes, Boas are the winners in my opinion simply due to the fact that they rarely (if ever) refuse a meal. As far as odor goes, I am currently working with 6 different species and sub-species of snakes and all of their feces and urine stinks, but as soon as I clean their enclosures the smell is gone. Personally, I use newspaper as opposed to substrate and as soon as I notice or smell anything they immediately get moved into a fresh, clean tub and I wash the dirty tub with Dawn dish soap and hot water. Generally, my Boas and Ball Pythons (if they're eating) will poop and pee once a week, maybe twice...

Have you considered a Woma? They only reach 4' - 6' and are a more slender species. They don't really wrap around you a whole lot (unless they're trying to eat you... lol), but they love to hang out and crawl around on you and explore. They are a joy to handle and watch and they're very social. And, not to mention, they're absolutely beautiful!

Thanks

Re: Ideal snake recommendation for me

The only snake I know of that has no smell, won't out grow any enclosure you give it, and can be worn as clothing all day is located in the toy aisle at Walmart. Just giving you the honest truth. All snakes come with a responsibility. With that comes some level of smell, it's own genetic encoded growth, and its own personality.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silentchief View Post
    So starting one last new thread as I've been disrupting the boards lately, causing a "poo off" contest.

I'm looking to get my first snake, and wanted to have a clean slate discussion.

Requirements:

• can be up to 4-6 feet if thin or maybe a male ball python
    • Ideally not super smelly, but at this point I feel like I should de-prioritize this
    • Can hang out with me and ideally "drape" around my neck or body
    • Doesn't need massive enclosure

Contenders:

• MBK - generally gorgeous and super cool looking, small enough, seems friendly
    • Cali King - a bit longer, needs larger space? I may be getting incorrect information about how they poop more or are smelly
    • Cornsnake - palmetto corns are the coolest thing ive ever seen, everyone seems to say they stink and poo too often
    • Ball Python - seems like the best one in terms of just chilling on my neck, but if it gets to 2,200 grams can I keep em around my neck still?

Thank you all in advance again. It's been great meeting you all, gotten very helpful responses from everyone.
    I've kept all members of the list except the MBK, and that is so close to the Cali king that it makes no difference in temperament and husbandry.

If you want something to hang around your neck, anything thicker than your first finger is out of the question. Meaning no ball pythons or boa constrictors.

IMO, cornsnakes poo no more than king snakes, probably less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    The only snake I know of that has no smell, won't out grow any enclosure you give it, and can be worn as clothing all day is located in the toy aisle at Walmart. Just giving you the honest truth. All snakes come with a responsibility. With that comes some level of smell, it's own genetic encoded growth, and its own personality.
    They eat rats after all, so how good could their feces possibly smell? lol But, considering the garbage we humans put in our bodies and what comes out, theirs smell like roses compared to ours...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

paulh (10-15-2017)

Thanks
    It is not on your list but an adult woma python is like a kingsnake trapped in a pythons body. All the size and girth you would want in a python with the ease of care, inquisitive nature and chill attitude of a kingsnake.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (10-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Out of your species you listed, ball pythons are more likely to stay put, or at least move slower. I think if you want a corn or king to just "drape" on your neck, it will be gone down and off somewhere in about 10 seconds LOL.

Most terrestrial snakes want to move off from a high place and try to get down from our neck/arms, especially once they're bigger. Even my dumeril's boa, who is extremely inactive, would want to get down if I have her around my shoulders. There honestly isn't a snake species who will just drape on your neck and not move, unless they are wrapped all the way around. I wouldn't recommend letting a larger snake wrap all the way around your neck- you'll figure out quickly that it can get risky once you own one LOL.

When they are really tiny babies, they can stay put on your neck for longer, since the neck and hair is a larger area to them to hide under/sit on.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-15-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks
    Hey everyone, been out for a while so was glad to see all the helpful responses come back.

Still in the final phases of deciding here, heavily leaning to ball python still. Kingsnakes not off the table, BCIs honestly kinda scare me a bit.
    I'm not sure what it is about their look, but they give me that irrational snake fear that other snakes do not

Woma python...very interesting, I've seen them in videos plenty but never thought of actually getting one. Again, anyone handle an MBK have any idea if they're active or more chill?

Thanks for all the contributions, will let you know when I decide and finally get the snake!

Thanks

In having my BCI and eldest BP my BP is the one that stays out most, kinda, not really at the moment....lol I think he’s in breeding mode so he’s actually outta his hides and all over his enclosure....along with the other two BPs I have....all males. My Boa on the other hand is ALWAYS active and searching for her next meal....lol opportunistic hunters lol but she’s fast moving. I’ve been looking at Angolan Pythons lately and they’re bigger and more active but not sure for your situation, they’re about the size you want though and so beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silentchief View Post
    ... Still in the final phases of deciding here, heavily leaning to ball python still. Kingsnakes not off the table, BCIs honestly kinda scare me a bit.
    I'm not sure what it is about their look, but they give me that irrational snake fear that other snakes do not
    In my experience, I would have to say my Ball Pythons are much more "sketchy" acting when I reach in to grab them than any Boas i've ever had. I feel like i'm much more likely to receive a defensive bite from a Ball Python, because they are so much more timid, shy and jumpy than Boas. Of the 6 different species i'm currently working with I trust my Boas the most...

Thanks
    Ah, thanks for the feedback guys but to clarify I'm not afraid of getting bit.

After having spent some time looking at and researching BCIs, I'm scared of them purely based on how they look. Beautiful patterns, but something about their face shape and eyes just instills irrational fear in me.

Makes me uncomfortable so at this point I think I've eliminated them. Tarahumaras and Hog Islands were definitely appealing, but even dwarf boas are rather large.

I'm sure if I get an MBK I'll get bit fairly often when they're a juvenile, so be it

Same with ball pythons, I ain't scared!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast